Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just getting started in Richmond

Hi PrettyBrownEyez-

My seminar is scheduled for Oct. 4. I am so anxious to meet the docs. I have a list of questions already too! My insurance is Anthem COVA care through the state of Virginia as my husband is a state employee. It has treated me well so far. I had a baby in June and Anthem took great care of everything. According to the lady I talked to at Anthem about WLS, I shouldn't have any problems with approval. The surgeon will just need to send a letter for their health service review and beings I have a BMI of 44 it should not be a problem. You mentioned getting a copy of my previous weight loss efforts. Is that a requirement from the surgeon, or from the insurance company? Just curious because I really haven't seen a doctor that much in the past 5 years except for illnesses and to have 2 babies. Are they going to make me have 6 months of Dr. supervised dieting? Hmmm... probably my first stumbling block. :cry

So you are one week post op. How are things going? Do you feel starved? Are you having lots of pain? Tell me everything. HAHAHAH Kidding. Hope you are feeling great.

Hi Mamato3~

I had to show previous efforts of weightloss...it was my insurance requirement (UHC). Each insurance is different though. Just check with them to find out exactly what you need. This will help speed up the process.

So far so good with me. For some odd reason, I want a piece of chocolate cake from Ukrop's!!! LOL! I'm still somewhat sore in my port area. But pretty much okay. I need to work on drinking more water...have lost 23 lbs. since pre-op though.

Wow 23 pounds! Thats awesome. I cant wait to say goodbye to my first 23 pounds. Dont cave in to the chocolate cake! The only one who will benefit is Mr. Ukrop! hahah

LOL!!!! I REALLY NEEDED THAT LAUGH! But that is definitely true....temptation is really hard to conquer. I'm like the Little engine that could. "I think I can...I think I can" HaHa!!

OK... seminar is done. The doctor seemed real nice and so now I have scheduled my first consultation for Oct. 16th. YAY! Now, the only thing I am worrying about a little is this: According to my insurance member service manual and what the person that I talked to at the insurance company said, If you have a BMI of greater then 40 then no comorbid conditions are required. According to what they were saying at the seminar last night, they think my insurance requires the 2 comorbid conditions regardless of BMI. Now I'm stumped. I went ahead and scheduled the consultation anyway, but I hope it isn't a waste of more of my time. I guess we will just have to see.

Hi I am scheduled for the band this Friday.... a little excited but yet still scared... I am comparing what some eat after 2 weeks...do you have any info..thanks Vicki

I attended the seminar at SMH Oct. 8 and have scheduled a consultation appt. on Oct. 25. I have been reading this forum and this site for a few weeks now. I would love to connect with some locals for info and encouragement.

I attended the seminar at SMH Oct. 8 and have scheduled a consultation appt. on Oct. 25. I have been reading this forum and this site for a few weeks now. I would love to connect with some locals for info and encouragement.

WELCOME!!!! PLEASE FEEL FREE TO USE US AS YOUR INSPIRATION.:eek: I HAVE TRULY MET SOME WONDERFUL PEOPLE ON THIS LINK. KEEP IN TOUCH.

Welcome newnana! I think it would be great to connect with some people close by as well. So, you attended a seminar last week. What surgeon are you thinking of using?

Hey everyone! I was reading everyone's messages back and forth. I too am having my surgery at St. Mary's. This Thursday (10/18). I started my pursuit back in May and I am happy that it is finally here!. Nervous too.

I thought I would die with the pre-op diet, but so far so good. I havent jumped across the table at anyone for a their pizza!

Hope to hear from you soon!

Hey C, your time is getting very close. Didn't have a prediet, just nothing to eat after noon on the day before, that was tough enough, LOL.

I'm sure your surgery will be a cinch. Good Luck!

(So nice to finally see the Virginia thread active)

cannis - good luck to you on Thursday! I'll be anxious to hear how everything went. Which doctor is doing your surgery?

I am feeling very positive today. I had my initial consult with Dr. Brengman this morning. He seemed to think that my insurance company would approve me no problem! YAY! He said I should hear from them in 3 to 4 weeks. I am so happy to say that it seems like things are moving forward nicely.

I am seeing Dr. Schroder (RCG) on Oct. 25th for initial consult. I am anxious to learn what I need to know to make this decision. I am 99.99% sure I will pursue this. Unfortunately, my insurance will not cover so I am a self pay as they say. :-o I am not looking forward to the long wait until a scheduled surgery as I am learning from reading these threads. Cannis, good luck and I hope to hear how things go for you. Any info will be greatly appreciated, Richmonders!

I am too a self-pay and once RSG knew that, they quickly moved my dates up. I go this Friday for pre-op physical with surgery scheduled for Nov 7th. I started the process about 4 weeks ago, so I think it moved fast. Kinda nervous, but after reading "the 50+" forums, I am better prepared! Let's keep this Richmond group alive!