Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just getting started in Richmond

Thanks! I am hoping for a quick process also! I am dealing with cronic knee pain. I also have an appointment with a new ortho surgeon. I will not be suprised if he says I must lose weight before doing knee replacements (at least one). My hope is to make do until I can lose weight and in the end buy myself a few years before knee surgery! I see Dr. Schroder before the ortho doc so I hope to be able to tell him "I have a plan!"

Hello everyone! Sorry I haven't logged in lately. I have been fighting off a NASTY case of the flu that affected my surgery sites. But after a ton of tests, I am finally getting better. My next trip to the doctor will be to get a flu shot.

Other than that hiccup, everything has been peachy. No problems to speak of, I just have to remind myself to eat s-l-o-w. Otherwise i get too full and feel miserable. Even though my lap band is less than 3 weeks old, I already love this sweet little piece of plastic. I eat until I feel full, and I lose weight...how cool is that?

newnana, I feel your pain about the knee pain. I have had 6 knee surgeries (2 scope, 2 partials, and 2 totals). In fact my Othopedic Surgeon wrote me a recommendation for the lap band that got me approved. I was under 40 BMI and they weren't going to approve me without a strong case. Anyway, already I feel a lot less pain on my knees. Good luck with your lap band journey.

Hang in there...before you know it, you will all be in lap bandville.

God Bless

Mary

Hey everyone! I was reading everyone's messages back and forth. I too am having my surgery at St. Mary's. This Thursday (10/18). I started my pursuit back in May and I am happy that it is finally here!. Nervous too.

I thought I would die with the pre-op diet, but so far so good. I havent jumped across the table at anyone for a their pizza!

Hope to hear from you soon!

Hi Cannis1223~ Let us know how you are doing after surgery. You are making a wonderful decision!

Hello everyone! Sorry I haven't logged in lately. I have been fighting off a NASTY case of the flu that affected my surgery sites. But after a ton of tests, I am finally getting better. My next trip to the doctor will be to get a flu shot.

Other than that hiccup, everything has been peachy. No problems to speak of, I just have to remind myself to eat s-l-o-w. Otherwise i get too full and feel miserable. Even though my lap band is less than 3 weeks old, I already love this sweet little piece of plastic. I eat until I feel full, and I lose weight...how cool is that?

newnana, I feel your pain about the knee pain. I have had 6 knee surgeries (2 scope, 2 partials, and 2 totals). In fact my Othopedic Surgeon wrote me a recommendation for the lap band that got me approved. I was under 40 BMI and they weren't going to approve me without a strong case. Anyway, already I feel a lot less pain on my knees. Good luck with your lap band journey.

Hang in there...before you know it, you will all be in lap bandville.

God Bless

Mary

Its good to hear from you Mary.....way to go on yiur weightloss!:whoo:

Thanks Mary! Your words are encouraging. I see both doctors this week and am anticipating a plan of action to develop. Our insurance doesnt have any weight loss surgery coverage, even with a "strong case" but I certianly will try but I am not going to allow it to stop me. I have been reduced to tears twice this week because of the pain. I also have been having some negative self talk about the LapBand, like everytime I eat I think to myself "why don't I just eat small amounts now?" "why don't I do a partial preop type diet now, 2-3 slimfasts and a healthy dinner, instead of waiting?" Maybe after my appt this week I will have a few answers and definately some direction. I know the mental aspect of all of this is the most significant part. I will also probably start attending the support groups pretty soon to help with that. I hope to connect with some gals for support. Get well and stay well!

Hey everyone,

I had my surgery on the 18th. Everything went ok. I am just having trouble getting rid of the gas!!! The acutal incisions and surgery aren't that bad. The doctor just suggests a lot of walking around and patience....which I don't have. I've been pacing around the house bouncing up and down trying to get it out.

As soon as that's all gone I'll be ready to move on ;)

Hope everyone is doing fine

Candice

I received my approval letter yesterday. I've been researching this procedures for several months. My pcp was for it and recommended a surgeon, my gyn thought it a great idea though he was for gastric as his step-mother did well on it. Now that it's time to schedule I'm nervous - more afraid of failing than the procedure itself. Did any of you have second thoughts? What has been the hardest to adjust to in terms of lifestyle? How long were you off from work? :)

Hey guys!!! I have a nutrition eval tomorrow at 6:00 at St. Marys. Anyone have any info on what will be done then?? I like to know what I am getting myself into :( I also have my psych w/ Dr. Rona Saunders, I think that how you spell it. How long will appt last for? I have to do both of these appts. befor my ins. will start the approval process. I have Blue Cross Blue Shield of California. Anyone else have them?

Thanks!!

Angie

How did your nutrition evaluation go? I just scheduled my surgery for Jan. 21 at St. Mary's with Dr. Bautista. I had my psych eval last month - it was interesting. I was told today that I should plan at least two weeks off from work. At the initial seminar I understood that we could be back at work within a week or sometimes less. What has your physician said about recuperation time?

I think everyone heals and copes with pain differently. With that said, I had my gall bladder removed laproscopically a couple of years ago. My doctor told me that recovery from this surgery should be similar to recovery from the gall bladder. I had that surgery on Thursday and returned to work on Monday. I would think most people should feel ok to return to work in about a week, as long as it isn't work that is very strenuous. Just an opinion :confused:

Hey there. I went for the nutrition appt. today.....very fast. Maybe 45 mins if that really. Pretty much ask how many servings of each group you eat in a week and then any exercise you do. Thats about it.

What all happens in the psych appt.??? A friend said she had to answer like a 400 question sheet. About how long should I plan on being there?? I am a little nervous about the appt. I dont want get in there and be all nervous and dumb acting....hehehe. I am hoping to get the approval from the ins. co. by the end of the month and can hopefully schedule surgery for the week of Jan 21st. I dont think it can all be done in time for me to have the surgey by the end of Dec, but we will see. Feel free to shoot me an email anytime. claysma1@aol.com

Take care everyone!!

Angie

hello im from richmond dr. schroder is your dr.s partner richmond surgerial group i was banned oct 22 07 lost 47 lbs so far inculding the liver shrinking diet going to get first fill dec. 21 07

:clap2::clap2::clap2:hello im from richmond dr. schroder is your dr.s partner richmond surgerial group i was banned oct 22 07 lost 47 lbs so far inculding the liver shrinking diet going to get first fill dec. 21 07

I had my surgery date changed to Jan. 14. Works out well for me as I work for the state and we have two holidays that next week so less time off from work. My psych eval was with Lisa Berman. I think I was her first lap band client; she had just met with the surgeons the night before to get briefed on the procedure and how the process works. I really liked her. We talked for about an hour. I start my various appointments on Dec. 13 starting with the cardiologist; dietary classes are the 17th for 3-4 hours. I read the stories from others as to how long it takes to get approved and guess I was either lucky or my insurance is very good - I saw the nurse practitioner on a Monday and received my approval letter on Saturday. I'm excited and nervous at the same time and pray that my body can tolerate this change that I'm putting it through.

Has anybody else used Richmond Surgical Group?

Hi CoreynVA,

I am having my surgery with Richmond Surgical Group, Dr. Brengman. Right now I am patiently waiting for a surgery date. I had my psych eval with Lisa Berman as well. Attended my nutrition class on Monday the 19th. I have had my approval from the insurance company since Oct. 31 and had absolutely no problem getting it. It's making me nuts waiting for them to call and schedule a date. I wonder if I should just call them and bug them?!??!