Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm getting scared! January 18 is coming for gastric sleeve

Ok Im am at 215 and I'm 5'5 and I'm getting tired of people saying why are you doing it? You are not that big. All u need to do is exercise and it will come right off. But then I have people oh Stephanie you need to lose some weight.. I'm getting nervous and was having second thoughts like maybe I can lose it again by myself. But the reason I'm doing this surgery because I go up and down alot and I want this to be a big key to help me lose this weight. And the women In are 30s just wind up getting bigger.. I'm a single mom and I lost all of my energy anymore and I feel bad. I had alot happen to me this year also from losing the Love of my life. But I want my energy back I want to feel me again. I want a new me! I'm scared if there are complications of it Or if I get too too skinny because I'm no so big.

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

My sleeve day is Dec 7,my weight 208 and yes some people have ask me why. I really don't care what people say. I'm doing it for my health and it's medical necessary. I'm 55 yrs old and I was in a wheelchair in a 2008 for 2 yrs so the weight has been very hard to take off. I'm sure you are a strong person so please be postive. We have to. Sending good vibes and good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the BariatricPal App

Hey Stephanie... Don't worry about what others say about the sleeve. No one but us (people in this situation) understand how difficult dealing with weight problems is. No one I have ever talked to even understand the sleeve...purpose, how it works etc. People think we are lazy or unwilling to change our "habits" or whatever, but we are here because food is an addiction for us and the sleeve is the only thing that keeps us in check.

You go get your surgery and you do what you need to do for YOU. I was a little scared last year when I did mine, but it is the best thing I've ever done and I finally feel like me.

Good luck!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using the BariatricPal App

I'm also 215 at 5ft 5in with surgery on Jan 17. I've limited my conversations too. My cardiologist joked that I was the smallest bariatric patient he'd heard of. My goal is better health, no meds and of course smaller body. Ironically I share more with gym classmates than friends

Edited by tathomas1

I am 46 years old, 210 lbs, 5'7" and I shared my upcoming surgery with one friend who felt like she needed to talk me out of it because I have lost weight so many times before (and gained it all back and then some each time) and I'm "not that big" and she didn't think I should go through that kind of pain to loose weight. Now I am a little less excited about it, but more determined than ever to have this surgery - the date is set for December 27th. I just don't know how to explain the health benefits of this surgery to other people, and after that experience with my well meaning but overbearing friend (did I mention she is thin?), I have just stopped sharing with anyone other than the two people closest to me: my husband and mother support my decision. My pre op diet starts on the 13th and I am ready for this. My only small concern is follow up because I am having the surgery in Mexico - far away from my home in New Hampshire. I will follow the pre and post op diet completely. I am now cutting back on caffeine. Did I mention that I am ready for this? I am looking forward to the positive life changes in my future. :-)

I wouldn't worry about too skinny. If you read, your body with VSG loses about 60% of the overweight weight. So if let's say you are 215 and should weight 130, out of the 85 lb you would lose 51 with surgery (and yes it's a bit dif for everyone). Look up VSG weight loss calculator, not exact but roundabout loss. We all lose and gain, this is a tool to not eat as much and learn to eat better.

Sent from my SM-G900H using the BariatricPal App

Mexico too! Find a good app to track food. Maybe some online buddies. I was at 332 at HW and managed to stay at around 265-270 tracking food. When I don't diligently like past week (holiday) I gain. Today I will eat like pre sleeve day because I overdid last couple of days. You will have to use every tool, apps, scales, and change eating habits. We are all here for a reason (so many helpful people on this app).

Thank you everyone, I really needed that. I was having ups and downs. Yeah I'm going to keep it a little more quiet about it. Only my close friends know but they like to put there 2 sence in it. Thank you everyone. This is a great app

Nobody knows your struggles and how you feel but YOU. The number on the scale is just a number. If you feel the need to improve your health and your lifestyle in a serious way, then it is your choice. People don't understand and feel they know what's best for your body based on what they know of their body... each of us has a history, a story and a deep desire to do what's good. Having the surgery is NOT easy. It is NOT a quick and easy fix (which is what many people think). You will spend money, time and patience for this journey but in the end, it will work and you will succeed....and for me, it is all worth it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

I am 46 years old, 210 lbs, 5'7" and I shared my upcoming surgery with one friend who felt like she needed to talk me out of it because I have lost weight so many times before (and gained it all back and then some each time) and I'm "not that big" and she didn't think I should go through that kind of pain to loose weight. Now I am a little less excited about it, but more determined than ever to have this surgery - the date is set for December 27th. I just don't know how to explain the health benefits of this surgery to other people, and after that experience with my well meaning but overbearing friend (did I mention she is thin?), I have just stopped sharing with anyone other than the two people closest to me: my husband and mother support my decision. My pre op diet starts on the 13th and I am ready for this. My only small concern is follow up because I am having the surgery in Mexico - far away from my home in New Hampshire. I will follow the pre and post op diet completely. I am now cutting back on caffeine. Did I mention that I am ready for this? I am looking forward to the positive life changes in my future. :-)

Good for you, I understand you because I have people telling me the same thing.

We got this.

good luck.post-301564-14806970085008_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't worry about too skinny. If you read, your body with VSG loses about 60% of the overweight weight. So if let's say you are 215 and should weight 130, out of the 85 lb you would lose 51 with surgery (and yes it's a bit dif for everyone). Look up VSG weight loss calculator, not exact but roundabout loss. We all lose and gain, this is a tool to not eat as much and learn to eat better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the BariatricPal App

Hey Stephanie... Don't worry about what others say about the sleeve. No one but us (people in this situation) understand how difficult dealing with weight problems is. No one I have ever talked to even understand the sleeve...purpose, how it works etc. People think we are lazy or unwilling to change our "habits" or whatever, but we are here because food is an addiction for us and the sleeve is the only thing that keeps us in check.

You go get your surgery and you do what you need to do for YOU. I was a little scared last year when I did mine, but it is the best thing I've ever done and I finally feel like me.

Good luck!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using the BariatricPal App

Hey! How do you feel when you comebout of surgrey? Do you feel different? I'm getting so excited and nervous at the same time.