Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have you had a leak in your port/tubing and had to have it replaced?

Have you had a leak in your port or tubing?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had a leak in your port or tubing?

• Yes, I had my port/tubing replaced.
    • Yes, I have not had the leak fixed though.
    • No, I haven't has any problems like that!
    • Port? Tubing? What the heck is that??

Hi,i Am New To The Forum--i Was Banded One Year Ago--i Have Heard From My Surgeon That The More You Vomit,the Greater Your Risk Of

Slippage..i Am Regurging At Least A Few Times A Week.,usually

After Eating pizza Or The Like--are Any Of You Still Struggling

With Vomiting?/erosion Scares Me The Most--i Saw A Posted

Photo Of That And It Was Not Pretty!!any Idea What The Percentages Are As Far As Erosion Goes??and Are You Less Likely To Develop A

Leak The Fewer Fills You Get??/

Hey Drews! I haven't been on for MONTHS! It is good to see you still posting.

I also have a leak...Ever since the beginning, almost 2 years ago, I have always said I didn't have enough restriciton. Finally, three weeks ago the dr withdrew the saline and got 3cc's. According to the math, I should have had 12!!!!!! I haven't lost a single pound for over a year and now I have gained back 8 lbs and my clothes are getting tighter. I have surgery scheduled for this Fri, the 28th to have the tubing/port replaced. My doctor said that if it is defective, the company that makes the band will pay for the surgery and replacement. If not, then I get to cover the cost since my insurance probably won't touch it. Keep me in your thoughts.

I wasted what I felt was valuable time when my determination was at its highest- the first six months after the surgery. My band most likely punctured at the first fill. I was only when a new doctor to the practice questioned why I needed to come for refills so often and was not losing very much. I was very upset that either the band had failed or that it had been punctured, and it needed to be replaced which meant more surgery. My insururance would not pay for the original. I was informed

by my doctors' office manager that I would have to pay the full amount once more for the replacement. Since nothing I had done was the cause for the replacement, I informed them that I felt that it was the responsibility of the doctors or the lap band maker for the cost of the replacement. I lost faith in my doctors at this point. I informed them that if they were responsible due to a puncture, they should pay and if it was the quality of the band, then the maker should pay which the doctors should pursue. Only after threatening legal action, did the doctor agree to replace it. I still had to paid $5000.00 for the hospital charges. Needless to say, I think that effected my attitute toward the band, which has not been highly successful.

jon b

i can so relate to you!!! i had my band done in 7-06 the first 2 months after surg. and the pre op i lost 20 then i struggled along until 3-07 only losing 10 more lbs. and i went in for a fill one day and the next day i could eat a horse so i called and the dr did a fill under flouro and with dye and you could see the saline pouring into the surrounding tissue. every fill i have had has been difficult most of the time 5-8 sticks, i too believe the tube was puncture by the dr doing the fill during the first attempt to do the fill. i also believe due to the leak i learned to eat around the band to easily and that has slowed the weight loss.m my dr didn't charge to replace the tubing but i did hae to pay $2000 for hospital charges which i thought was unfair!!!

my fills are still difficult but the dr is much more caution now, and finally after 18 months i am losing at a good rate and my band is very tight at this time but i don't want to go for an unfill because i am finnally losing, if i just stop eating after a bite or two i am ok, so i am learning to eat like a bandster now!!!! sorry about the book, but like i said i can so relate!!!

Only $2000 for the hospital charges?!? I'll be happy if that's all I have to pay! I was told $7000!!!

I was suppose to have my surgery today but developed a sinus infection and sore throat on Monday so they rescheduled me for the 18th of April. I have been enjoying an occassional diet soda and the ability to drink while I'm eating. Two things I haven't done for almost 2 years. I keep reminding myself that there is "pleasure in sin for a season" and that when I get "fixed" the rules go back in place. I've paid (and will have paid even more when this is all finished) too much to not use the system properly. I just wish insurance was more cooperative and doctors were more accepting to blame if they are the reason for a needle nick. We'll see how it all plays out in a few more weeks.

I agree with a lot of you who feel like the precious first few months were either wasted or unaided by the band. I'm hoping that with my fix, there will be a rekindling of determination and optimisim to make this WLS work for me.

And a final note...when I talked to the case worker (who will be examining my unworking band part once it is removed and sent back to the company who makes it), I was asked how many cc's I had in my band. I replied that according to the math, I should have had 12cc. He laughed and said, "NO WAY! Your band only holds 10cc at the most." So where was my doctor in the the addition part of this puzzle. He should have known something was wrong months ago when we were approaching maximum capacity.

I am now convinced that I have a leak. I was banded almost a year ago, and did well up to the second fill. I only lost 2lbs in three months.( I suspect it was 2lbs of tears). I was very upset, so they gave me a 1.5cc fill and I was doing ok. I did get almost everything stuck. Lost 7 lbs in 3 months. I went for my fill 10 days ago and because of my getting most meat stuck(of course the fact that I have 7 kids, dinner is not exactly peaceful for me). he only gave me 1/2cc. I waited the next day for my stomach to be sore, and I could eat anything I wanted, as fast as I wanted. I am now up 5lbs, eating like a horse. I am sure I have a leak, Thank you for all the info. It was very helpfull.

I was banded almost 1 year ago. I have never held my fills. Finally, I changed doctors and will have my port changed next month. Anyone have their port changed and now are doing well?

Now that it's been determined to only fill under "fluoroscopy" to be safe from leaks, what is price difference, anyone know?

Just an update, Iwent ot the Drs, and of the 7.5cc that I should have had in I only had 4cc's. ANd 2.5cc's of air. He then gave me 5cc's. And told me to come back in a month, instead of 3. So far so good! i lost the wt I had gained. ANd I hope this is the end of it.

My doctor took about if not over 26 sticks to find my port the first time. Now I am able to eat about as much of any thing I want, but it with some food hurts like mad until I throw up. Any idea what is happening?

Teckla

I was tested yesterday for a leak under flouro by the nurse practitioner. I have lost 25 pounds since the pre-surgery diet. Surgery was 11-7-07. I had my 1st fill on Dec 21 and have lost nothing since. I have had numerous fills and should have been at 9 cc's but only about 6 was in there. The doctor will confirm the leak on Monday when he looks at the flouro. I hope I do not have to pay for the surgery to fix it. I hope it is easy and I heal quickly. The wasted time bothers me the most. Now I worry it could happen again.

I was told if they can extract any Fluid you dont have a leak is that wrong? I think I may have a leak and they checked under fluoro and said they extracted 5cc I should have 9cc if they hit their mark each time. I had some restriction untill the last fill where she stuck me 5 times and dug around in ther now no restriction. Could I have a leak even though there was 5 cc in there?

Nan42, You problem sounds just like mine. I had 9cc we thought but only 6 pulled out. Doctor could not tell for sure if leak from the stills under flouro. Nurse who did flouro was pretty sure it was a leak, so she took it all out. Now she put back in 7.5 cc (no restriction to speak of) Tuesday and we will see how much is in there next tues when I see him (doctor). If it is less, he will do flouro again to verify before surgery to replace the tubing. I am thinking it has a slow leak? But hopeful. Are you getting another fill or what is your next step?

I go tomorrow to schedule surgery for change of the port, tubing or both. I have had this band for 1 year & have had problems from the beginning with it not holding Fluid.< /p>

I went for the fluoro and she extracted 5cc seh said sometimes the tube

Collapses and you cant get a true read. She said you don’t have a leak because I got something out. They don’t want to take any responsibility for f-ing it up. The obvious problem with having bands in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place>Mexico</st1:place></st1:country-region> is the after care. I knew this and yet chose to go for it. If I go back to my doc it is $2500 to replace port and tube. Then what who do I have do the fills? I should have had a sleeve that is what my doc is famous for and there would have been no fills, no leak and it was 2000 more than a band so in the long run cheaper after you factor in the cost of fills and heart ache!! ANYONE OUT THERE DO <st1:place><st1:PlaceName>NOT</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceName>HAVE</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceName>NORTH</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceName>WEST</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceName>FILL</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType>CENTER</st1:PlaceType></st1:place> IN <st1:place><st1:City>ARLINGTON</st1:City> <st1:State>WASHINGTON</st1:State></st1:place> DO YOUR FILLS. QUACKS!!!

So where do I go from here?? Right now after I beat myself up I am doing nothing can’t afford it so I am trying on denial to convince myself that I have restriction. Any suggestions???<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>