Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have you had a leak in your port/tubing and had to have it replaced?

Have you had a leak in your port or tubing?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had a leak in your port or tubing?

• Yes, I had my port/tubing replaced.
    • Yes, I have not had the leak fixed though.
    • No, I haven't has any problems like that!
    • Port? Tubing? What the heck is that??

BigRobb -- Any news??

I don't know what I'm going to do... I'm still trying to contact anyone at Inamed, but have had no luck. I hope your band is tip-top!

a

Well, I'm getting closer. Soft moist food still goes right through, but I'm still having PBs, when I forget to chew the first bite well enough, so that's a good sign. I still think that I need another fill, but it'll be a month until I get one. I have to pay a $25.00 deductible for each visit now, so the bills are starting to cut into our budget. I'm also seeing a foot doctor and have to pay for orthotics in a couple of weeks.

(As an aside:)

On top of all of that, I'm trying to get my woodworking business (expansion) started, so funds are tight, even if my band isn't. I'm going from supplying penturners with small wood blanks for pens, and making pens and wine bottle stoppers, to building living room furniture (in addition to the old business of blanks and pen turning). I have been investing a lot in veneer and veneering tools.

Thanks for your interest,

Rob

Hello,

As you can see, I was banded in 09/2007. I have managed to lose weight with the band by following the Protein and Portion Control. After about 4 fills it was disovered that I have a leak on the band itself. This was found under a fluoro study.

I contacted the band manufacturer and was told that this is unheard of. I would like to find others like myself to show them that this does happen. Regardless of if your insurance convered a new band, if a second surgery was covered by the manufacturer, or you were cash pay please contact me.

If you have had a leak on your band and you believe the leak wasn't caused by a puncture during a fill please contact me by PM or directly at Banded09132007@gmail.com.

If you know of someone who has had a similar experience, please pass this on to them.

Thank You,

Melissa

(This has been posted in other forums as well.)

Its been 14 months since my banding, The first 10 months everything went well and I lost 45lbs. I only had to loose 80, my Dr. says the average for most people after banding is around 60% of the weight they need to loose. I've had three fills in the last 4 months, the first day or two I think "yes, its working this time" but by the third day after it opens up and I feel no restriction. I've told the Dr. I think there must be a small leak but he just keeps wanting to do another fill. I'm really discouraged, although he does really good fills, 1 stick, I have a lot of trouble with my left shoulder afterwards for a couple days so I really don't want any more fills. Do you think I should insist that he check for a leak?

Does he check for the amount of Fluid that is in there already at the beginning of each fill? My surgeon fills the needle up with the amount of fluid he wants to put in.5 or 1 cc's then when he gets the needle in the port of pulls out the fluid that is in there to see what was showing in there already then he injects all the fluid back in including the added amount. It takes really no extra time and no extra pokes to do it. They can check while they are in there. This way they can keep track...

Keep in mind my surgeon said sometimes not all the fluid will come out during the check if there is an air bubble or something or some will remain in the band and be stubborn and not come out. So be prepared that if you have 6 cc in already on 5 or 5.5 cc's will come out...but it might come out next time....

There is other ways that are more involved that they can check like under flouroscopy(x-ray) they can watch as he puts the fluid in to see if it is all going in the band or leaking out.

Millie Miller -- I would demand a fluoroscopy to see if there is a leak, especially if after what smilin apple mentioned. I had this done, massive leak. Please let me know what happens.

So - I went in for my third fill today - told the Dr. I felt absolutely NO restriction & went he went to withdraw Fluid from my port says - "huh - it's empty, you must have a leak". Now - I'm a cash pay only 3 months out and I'm being told I'm responsible for all costs for repair ranging from 7-15k depending on where it's leaking. Do we any have any recourse for this?? I can't believe this is happening -- spent all the money I had in the whole world to do this - I was told the chance of this happening was .02% -- hummm.. hard to believe. Anyone else near Federal Way WA have this problem or anyone have any advice??? Very upset here.

hi anne. please PM or email me through here, and we can talk directly. you are NOT the only person. and it appears this is starting to happen more and more. i would really like to talk with you.

I am also self pay and I have a leak. It has not been a year since I had this surgery. Did you have to pay to have this fixed or did a warranty cover the cost? I am desperate to find out. I cannot afford another surgery.

I had a leak in my tubing (apparantly punctured during a fill) it took my Dr about 6 weeks of me going in every week, getting a fill, no restriction. I had my band for 2 years so I know what it's suppose to feel like. Anyway he finally checked for a leak under flouro. Had my port and tubing replaced 8/12 and it's working again - after I gained 25 pounds! My Dr. didn't charge me anything for the surgery, the hospital was $1400 (they said they were giving me a deal!) and I haven't received my anesthia bill yet. I think the Dr. should pay the whole thing but that isn't going to happen. He also hasn't charged for any appointments post op. It's such a frustrating thing, I was ready to take the thing out myself because I was so frustrated and discouraged. I'm back on track now but am afraid something else will go wrong now!

Hi Anne,

Please send me a PM or email at banded09132007@gmail.com. I would be interested in talking to you about your band leak. What you are describing sounds exactly like what happened to me. I was also banded in Federal Way and a self-pay.

I would also be interested in talking to any other bandsters self pay or insurance who have had a leak too. I am specifically looking for those who have had a leak on the band itself.

did you pay to have your port redone?

Or was it defective?i to just had my port replaced.

i was told it was defective.

dr r did my port to.just came back from mexico i am trying to see who will pay for the replacement of port.

please email me.

did you pay to have your port redone?

Or was it defective?i to just had my port replaced.

i was told it was defective.i was told 2700 to fix

750 for port and other charges.