Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have you had a leak in your port/tubing and had to have it replaced?

Have you had a leak in your port or tubing?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had a leak in your port or tubing?

• Yes, I had my port/tubing replaced.
    • Yes, I have not had the leak fixed though.
    • No, I haven't has any problems like that!
    • Port? Tubing? What the heck is that??

My problem is definitely a leak not a stretched pouch. I've had 5 fills that have disapeared...empty every time. I'm sure it's leaking out again, I have to "try" to feel restriction. I guess I'll call the doc next week. Sue

My problem is definitely a leak not a stretched pouch. I've had 5 fills that have disapeared...empty every time. I'm sure it's leaking out again, I have to "try" to feel restriction. I guess I'll call the doc next week. Sue
Sorry Sue. :rolleyes2:

SUE, So that would fall under defective tubing, port not youre fault the lab band leaked, free of charge I AM SURE RIGHT. So at least it was good for 104 lbs not bad at all. I had mine done same time as you and you really surpassed me. What kind of band did you get at that time?

Edited by slackaction

Sue11, I was referred to you by a friend that I met in Dr Oh's office when I was in last month. I too have some sort of leak. I was banded on June 5, 2008.

I had restriction with the first fill (4.5 cc's) but was losing restriction very gradually from the get go and always felt like I needed that fill by the next month. When I went in for my fill the next month I was always at least 1.5 cc's less or so. I was always told by Dr Oh or Dr Hirai that it was normal to lose that amount. Finally, in October, I called the office a couple of days after a fill and told them I had no restriction still and they told me to come in. Dr Hirai gave me a fill and while I was in the waiting room it was too tight and then I felt it get loose and he had me go back in on the table and he said there was 2 cc's less in 5 minutes time. He had me schedule a leak test. The leak test did not show a leak but the radiologist said there was 3 cc's and I got 6 cc's at my last fill.

When I went in to Dr Oh's office for the follow up I got the same schpeal about the "new" band problems and that he's contacted the comany and that he needed to appy pressure, etc and he did do that and I did have restriction (too much even) for the first 4 days and then it quickly went away.

I have an appointment this afternoon and I am going to tell Dr Oh that I have delt with this for 6 months (since day 1 of my surgery) and I want a new port.

We'll see how it goes....

I see in your post that you said you are going to contact Dr Oh's office. I'm interested to see how that goes too.

SummerJoy

Good luck. Oh will accept no responsibility at all. He wouldn't even fill me for free (my insurance was already covering the apt as a follow up), he just went on and on about how he's "just an employee of the hospital" and has no control over charges and billing. He finally conceeded that he "may" be able to reduce his fees slightly for the replacement port, but that he's at the mercy of the hospital because he's "just an employee". All hospital fees are 100% my problem. What a bunch of BULL! According to him any damage whether caused at a fill or otherwise is the patient's responsibility...it's out of his hands, just a risk of the procedure.

I've heard of other docs that will work with their patients when there is a leak issue, but fat chance getting Oh to be so helpful. Unless it can be proved that there is a manufacturer defect (which is determined by the manufacturer after the port is removed...good luck) you're on your own. Your choices are to pay for the replacement or have a useless piece of equipment in you belly.

If you have any better luck with Oh let me know...I know he doen't like me, I had a disagreement with him and didn't "kiss his royal toes". As you can tell, I'm not an Oh fan...he's a great surgeon, and I don't know if I would have chosen a different one if I could go back, but the guy is a jerk!!! WOW...am I venting or what!?!

Sue

I actually saw Dr Hirai yesterday. He wanted to give me one last fill and he thinks that I possibly do have a leak (a very slow leak since I was only 1cc less than two weeks ago) and he said that if my restriction is gone in a couple of days to call the office and make an appointment for a replacement port surgery.

We shall see....

I'm going to let them attempt to get approval through my insurance first if they want to and see what happens.

So far I have some restriction still but it usually only lasts a few days. I'm still on a liquid diet so I'll see tomorrow.

I need to make that same call to schedule port replacement too, but I think I'll wait until after the 1st. Time is a premium right now and I really need to get through Christmas to make sure I can swing it financially. Did you discuss the replacement surgery with Hirai? What did he tell you? Sue

Hi Sue.

I did discuss the port replacement surgery with Dr Hirai. I asked him lots of questions. :smile2: He said it is pretty simple if they determine that it definately was something wrong with the port they will just switch the port out and I'm done, end of story and I probably don't even have to spend the night in the hospital. If it isn't obvious that there is something wrong with the port then they will go in laproscopic and check out the band itself and do some tests on it as well and then I would have to spend the night in the hospital. I'm really hoping for the quick and easy fix, obviously!

SJ

yes, it's fairly simple, and I'm hoping to talk Oh into doing it under local instead of general. I don't want to deal with the wiped out feeling you have for days after the general. Not so thrilled about the $2,000 or so that it's going to cost me, sure didn't expect my $13,000 investment to cost me another $2,000/yr...sure hope this one holds, loosing the 100# is GREAT...keeping it off is alot of work, I still need my band!!!! Sue

Well, I originally was banded April 29, 2008 and had to have the port replaced November 6 2008. Nothing like going back under to be cut open again, but hopefully this will work. I was at 5cc on a 10cc band and when I went in for the surgery, it was down to a little under 3cc's.

I was under the impression however that my surgeon was actually going to move the lapband up as well, not just replace the port. When he gave me 4cc's there was no restriction at all, I could even eat bread and pastas if I wanted to, but my main concern was that I could eat a rib eye, mashed potatoes and aspargus with ZERO issues. Keep in mind that nothing of what I ate above is bad, but it was the quantity of what I could eat, and I should not have been able to even eat half of it let alone all of it.

He bumped my band up to 6cc's, but I could not even swallow Water, yet at 5cc's I could still eat the same dinner above. Again, it just seems that if the band were positioned in the right place, I should not be able to eat as much!

I have not lost a single pound since surgery and for over 3 months I watched my diet to the T and worked out daily on the treadmill of 4 miles @ 4.5 mph, light weights and cycling classes. I understand that some of the lack of weight loss may be due to muslce gain, but seriously no weight loss at all and I am now 8 months out of surgery.

I had major knee surgery in September 2008 (old sports injury that just deteriorated) and revisioned port surgery November 2008---so, working out has been very minimal to say the least over the past 3 months.

Therefore, even if we argue that 3 monthsbe forgiven due to surgeries, I still should have lost something with the fills, even just a mere 10lbs!!!!

I go in for my first REFILL January 6, 2009 and am wondering if I should ask him to start at 5cc's seeing as the lapband itself is not in a different position.

Any advice would greatly be appreciated because I am lost as to what else to do.

yes, it's fairly simple, and I'm hoping to talk Oh into doing it under local instead of general.

Hi Sue,

I heard through the grapevine about your troubles. SO sorry you are going through this! BY the way....your picture is darling...cute....wonderful. How beautiful you are!!!! Call me!

Mer

Hey Mer...

Just came from Oh's office...and the hospital getting pre-ops done for port replacement. I'm scheduled for Thursday, but will probably postpone. 1st off I forgot to make sure they have a low-profile port for me, and they said before they have to order it. Secondly I have to come up with $3,000 in 3 days!?!

Praying for Peace ('cause I know better than to pray for patience)!

Sue

Hig girls,

I havent read every post in this thread but i did notice someone mentioned LAP BAND.

Can I just ask if that band was made by a certain American company called Allergan?

I was self-funded in December 2005, only lost 2 stone, never seemed to have the right amount of restriction and then in February 2008 it was discovered that my actual band has a leak.

My surgeon will not do the corrective surgery at a reduced rate, the hospital will give me a discount, but havent said how much.

Allergan have agreed with my surgeon to supply a new band but will not take any responsibility until they have examined the faulty band.

To do this I must have surgery.

Bit of a cache 22 eh.:thumbup:

Btw I am in the UK.

Edited by Freckles
more info added

Hi all...This is my first post anywhere on the internet ever.I am a 63 yr old male and was at 351lbs. I had band implanted june ,07 lost 127lbs.blood pressure was perfect(had high before)Well after my last fill in Sept 08 I noticed sharp pains spead out all over the muscles in my stomach area.I just thought it was because of my upgrade in activity.LOL muscles that have been dormant for years.Now that I have read some of your posts here I'm wondering if it was due to a punture when filling?And maybe it was the saline in my body? Since then a swelling about the size of a baseball beneath the port appeared,most painful thing I have ever expierienced in my life.Well unfortunately the Dr. said that I had erosion and band was removed in oct 08..I am so sad,depressed and scared.He wants to reimplant in April,09..But I said NO WAYYYYY!

I am still paying monthly on my share of the implant and now I get a bill in the mail for over $43,000 for the removal?:):thumbup:

Should I maybe sue somebody..? I am so confused and about ready to just give it up and be fat and happy..lol:confused_smile: All suggestions appreciated.TY Wolf

You gotta be kidding me??? £28,000 for the removal of your band???:)

That is silly money and what a dreadful thing to happen to you Wolf.

However, erosion of gastric bands is quite common I believe, if I'm wrong i'm sure someone will correct me.

But why didnt the surgeon replace the faulty band when he operated? Did he give you that option?

btw welcome to the forum and congratulations on you weight loss.:thumbup:

Edited by Freckles