Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have you had a leak in your port/tubing and had to have it replaced?

Have you had a leak in your port or tubing?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had a leak in your port or tubing?

• Yes, I had my port/tubing replaced.
    • Yes, I have not had the leak fixed though.
    • No, I haven't has any problems like that!
    • Port? Tubing? What the heck is that??

Doesn't it make you want to scream. I am a self pay (approx $18,000). When I had the port/tubing replacement the Dr. admitted the tubing was punctured and his office did not charge but all the other bills I received were almost $10,000. I was able to get financial aid from the hospital and the Dr paid the anesthesiologist (after much fussing on my part) I felt I shouldn't have had to pay a dime - I didn't punture the tube! I was told that was a risk you take but I absolutely don't agree. And if there is another leak I don't even know how to handle this! I want to be back to losing too. I have gained at least 25 lbs since first having problems with my band - it took almost 2 months of me going in EVERY week saying something is not right for him to figure out the leak. I would like to go to another Dr but if there is another leak I can't afford to pay another Dr to fix this ones problem.

I would love to talk person to person, can you give me your number. I know it is late, but if don't mind. I want to understand the aid you got from the hospital. I also just feel like I am not putting enough in to this to the point I would like to see my doctor pick up the tab on something or not be charging me for something that did not work. He got paid from my insurance but now I owe the hospital. If you not to tired and dont mind talking my phone number 5024328934. If you would like me to call you please just drop your number.

HELP - Had the lapband 2 years ago and now see a new surgeon due to insurance changes. Never heard of fluro?

I have had 4 fills and 2 removals within 3 months! The fills were between .5 - 2.cc's. I have a band that is 10cc but only holds 5 cc's total (at least that's what this new surgeon is telling me). My problem is very strange. I asked her to please "start over" since we couldn't get the dosage to a comfortable level. So 5 days ago she put 2.75 cc and I was able to eat way too much. I went today and she did an upper GI in the office and it shows some restriction but she was only able to pull out .5 cc. The upper GI w/dye showed no leak??? So she just put in another 2. cc and the upper GI again showed more of a restriction, but I can still eat a ton of food.

Any idea of what may be happening

Kim, so did you get your port replaced? If so, how are you doing now? I'm having the same problem you described and am looking at having a port revision, but am waiting until end of May so I don't have to take so mcuh time off work. Hope everything went well for you, please let me know.

after having your port replaced, how long did it take you to get back to working out? 2 weeks? 3? a month?

since being banded, i've become something of gym rat and play tennis 3x a week. i'm hoping not to be sidelined for too long.

what was your experience like?

I bounced back pretty quick - and I'm the biggest wimp there is! I was really sore for a few days and you have the incision (mine was in the same place as the original incision) and that takes a little while to heal. Also the muscle (?) where the port was removed and another attatched was very sore. I would wait at least a couple of weeks before doing any major excercise. Maybe just some walking, etc. I think the worst part, too, is the anesthesia. My Dr. said it can be done without general anesthesia but I didn't want to do that.

Back in October I noticed that I only had good restriction with my band the first 2 weeks after a fill (going to the fill center to get fills). In November I went to my actual doctor for a fill and he told me how much Fluid he added and how much fluid I had in me...number sounded off but I got over it. Went back in December, restriction not good at all and my doctor added more fluid he gave me my numbers and I told him they were off. He agreed but wanted to watch me for a little bit. The end of February I had my port replaced. The end of April I had my port moved because my doctor could not get to it....

I am trying to get back on track, hoping to be successful this go around. I have only lost 2 pounds since the end of January :-(

After a 70 lb loss and a pregnancy (with 25 lb gain and loss) I suddenly lost my restriction and gained 35 lbs within months. Had a fill - still no restriction - had endoscopy and all was fine.

I went today for a fill and after some struggling to inject the saline we found out I have a leak in my tubing. Fill was done under flouro.

Calling tommorow for surgery date and excited to be back on track!

This happened to me except a hole was put in my tubing after injecting lidocaine to numb the area where the Huber Needle would be inserted to fill my port. B/c the huber needle does not leave a hole...the lidocaine needle did...causing me to require a tubing replacement. My cost, $1,500 in Monterrey Mexico. That's an all inclusive fee.

I just got my surgery date it's July 6th. That's when they are going to replace my port and fix my tubing. Yippie that means that I will be back onto the road to weight loss, I'm tried of gaining and watching the scale go into the wrong direction

My port is defective, my DR. said. He said he had never saw a AP Allergen port leak Mine is leaking in the balloon. At first they said they would repair it for 15000.00 But i dont have insurance or the money to repair it. They said they will check with the manufacture and see what they say. Im not holding my breath But it would great. If i had the money to do it it would be worth it.

:sad:don't know where to add this but I'm having aproblem and could use a little help . Had a fill last week in april working great then last week felt funny taste in mouth and next day vey little restriction anyone ever had this problem? I was banded in april 2008 lost my insurance when husband lost job in june of 2008 went to fill center as soon as I could afford to do so . I'm so anxious to make this work please help Thanks

:sad:don't know where to add this but I'm having aproblem and could use a little help . Had a fill last week in april working great then last week felt funny taste in mouth and next day vey little restriction anyone ever had this problem? I was banded in april 2008 lost my insurance when husband lost job in june of 2008 went to fill center as soon as I could afford to do so . I'm so anxious to make this work please help Thanks

You might want to post this as it's own thread, rather than have it buried here.

To start a thread: Click on "home" on the top left of the screen. Scroll down until you find the forum TOPIC that best fits your question (Ie Fills and complications)

Click on that TOPIC. Then at the left will be an area that says "NEW THREAD" Click on that. It will let you post a title and start your own thread; makes it easier for people to see and respond to your question.

I'm no expert but from reading your post, I had a similar symptom when my tubing became pierced.......I had a weird taste, normal saline, (NA Saline) leaked through the tubing and sent the taste.

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by nancy barry viewpost.gif

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by nancy barry viewpost.gif

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>It really sucks when you problems with your tubing/port and are unsure as to weather you have a leak or not?

My fill nurse Peirced my tubing while trying to do a fill... I had restriction for 2 -3 days... then NOTHING.... this fill happened twice...

Then I demanded to have a FLUROFILL under xray and voila, the leak could be seen.

Doctor had to re-do my surgery and replaced my port and about an 1" of tubing... then he injected me with BLUE dyed Saline...

so now everytime I go for a fill, the nurse will SEE the blue back wash and KNOW that she HIT the Port o.k.

Dah, I know anyone can make mistakes but two surgeries is a drag!!!

Now, my weight is holding.... but not the fault of the BAND... ITS me!! I am eating slider foods and not counting my calories... gotta get back on track... as I still have 25 lbs to goal.

:wink2: