Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tired of hearing I don't need surgery!

Thanks for the advice ... I knew she had no business giving he personal opinion but whether or not she agreed , my PCP was on board so she was so irrelevant in my eyes

I would let the doctor for whom that nurse works know that she is putting her personal opinion on a patient's medical plans. Not her job or responsibility. She was out of line, given the context of her being at work.

In general, other than your immediate support system (if any), don't tell anyone. You don't need people's negative, uniformed energy coming at you as you are making decisions to better your life and get a peace about your body.

Again, that nurse had no business interjecting her personal opinion into your medical decisions. Not her place. Don't get her fired, but I would tell the doctor that you'd rather she not have addressed your personal condition with a negative energy.

Just wish people weren't so judgements.. I'm already doing this all alone n that hurts . But I'm a trooper n will be okay

I had sleeve surgery and have been at goal for 18 months. I lost 30 during the work up for surgery and people told me oh then why do you need surgery. This was some who has been a size 6 her whole life. I knew what I needed to help me lose the weight. If could do it by myself I would have. Don't let others judge you or bring you down. Bariatric surgery is a very personal thing. And it's nothing too be ashamed of. People who have never struggled with their weight just don't get it and never will.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I'm pretty sure I heard something similar as I was waking up from surgery. "Not THAT big." Clearly I am or the surgeon wouldn't have agreed to it.

It's the word 'that'. I heard it a lot too. Like, ok, so you thought I was/am big and fat just not THAT fat or THAT big. Irked me big time. But for the most part my friends have been supportive.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

For most people who say you "don't need surgery", you represent one of two things - Courage or Change. Most people lack the courage to make a REAL change for themselves, so they don't want a reminder of their own timid nature that their own body image and self-confidence will have to deal with YOUR changes in the next 6-12 months. Your changes can truly scare some people - even people you don't know.

Embrace the intimidation of your courage as THEIR problem, not your burden.

Embrace the intimidation of your courage as THEIR problem, not your burden.... that is powerful. I appreciate that so much. Thank you.????

For most people who say you "don't need surgery", you represent one of two things - Courage or Change. Most people lack the courage to make a REAL change for themselves, so they don't want a reminder of their own timid nature that their own body image and self-confidence will have to deal with YOUR changes in the next 6-12 months. Your changes can truly scare some people - even people you don't know.

Embrace the intimidation of your courage as THEIR problem, not your burden.

I'm so tired of being told I'm not that fat to need surgery. My BMI is ~42 and I have SEVERE sleep apnea (AHI of 77! That means that if I didn't use my cpap I would not breathe for at least 1/3 of the night!).

I have sleep apnea as well. Everyone wants to know what's best for you and they know nothing of the sort. quote name="computercat" post="4330126" timestamp="1480354175"]

I'm so tired of being told I'm not that fat to need surgery. My BMI is ~42 and I have SEVERE sleep apnea (AHI of 77! That means that if I didn't use my cpap I would not breathe for at least 1/3 of the night!).

What is YOUR health worth? I started at 5'1" and 267. People said I could do it on my own as well and told me all the "reasons" not to have WLS. Well, I ignored them all and have lost 95 pounds since January 2016. I am off BP meds and cholestral meds. I was already taking Vitamins and minerals (D3/Calcium) so it was not an issue to increase them to the place my new body needed. I have more energy and vigor. I am more active. I am looking forward to another 25-35 pound loss in the near future.

I have not experienced any of the issues your nurse mentioned in your post. I do get a bit gassy just before I know I need to have a BM (about 1X per week) but that is totally manageable!!

I have had nothing but great compliments about my weight loss and would do this again in a heartbeat. In fact, wish I had done it when I was 30 instead of waiting until I was 63. Not saying my life would have been better in general but I would have been healthier and I think not have some of the health issues I have now - all due to being overweight for so many years.

You go girl and be a shining example of what good health is about. This is not about looking good in a bikini but looking good health wise.

Thank you for the encouragement. I truly appreciate

What is YOUR health worth? I started at 5'1" and 267. People said I could do it on my own as well and told me all the "reasons" not to have WLS. Well, I ignored them all and have lost 95 pounds since January 2016. I am off BP meds and cholestral meds. I was already taking Vitamins and minerals (D3/Calcium) so it was not an issue to increase them to the place my new body needed. I have more energy and vigor. I am more active. I am looking forward to another 25-35 pound loss in the near future.

I have not experienced any of the issues your nurse mentioned in your post. I do get a bit gassy just before I know I need to have a BM (about 1X per week) but that is totally manageable!!

I have had nothing but great compliments about my weight loss and would do this again in a heartbeat. In fact, wish I had done it when I was 30 instead of waiting until I was 63. Not saying my life would have been better in general but I would have been healthier and I think not have some of the health issues I have now - all due to being overweight for so many years.

You go girl and be a shining example of what good health is about. This is not about looking good in a bikini but looking good health wise.

She was out of line to not only give her opinion, but try to talk you out of it with questionable information. Your PCP would be very upset to hear this, especially since he, in his expertise, has encouraged you to do this. I would definitely share the conversation, just as a concern you have. He would want to know.

Very unprofessional of this "nurse" to tell you what you need or not need. She's probably a medical assistant but still inappropriate. Esp if your physician is supportive.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

It's no as bad as asking if you've "found" Jesus but it's unprofessional to say the least. Was she an RN or a medical assistant?

She was a RN

It's no as bad as asking if you've "found" Jesus but it's unprofessional to say the least. Was she an RN or a medical assistant?

She might be treating other patients this way. Report her to the office supervisor and your state nursing board. She wouldn't lose her license but she will be reprimanded.

I made mention to the office manager and she said they will surely have a discussion

She might be treating other patients this way. Report her to the office supervisor and your state nursing board. She wouldn't lose her license but she will be reprimanded.