Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tired of hearing I don't need surgery!

TenseinTexas: I'm sorry you have had such a struggle. It does get much better. I hardly think about it except when I get full so quick. I do still have some intestinal issues (which seem to coincide with the gurgling), but I feel great most of the time and definitely feel it was so worth it. Someone asked me recently if it was reversible and I said No, but why would I ever want to?

Thank you so much. I need encouragement! Even the doctor was like " hmmm usually

People feel great at this time"

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

The PA at my doc told me "good luck, see you in a year when you can't absorb Vitamins and are dehydrated." Ummm ... idiot!

We are all behind you. Our stats are similar, I'm 5'5" and started at 239...down to 202. Surgery was 10/4. Do what's best for you!

Jesus loves you!!!

Amen.... I feel like I want to say let me handle me and you handle you.

I've gotten it a lot too. I just tell them it is to get off the 9 heart pills I'm on and that shuts them up my surgery date is 12-12-16

I'm praying for you... I know it will turn around , you will get better I have read some true horror stories on here but in the end it turned out to be a great story. So hang in there and don't lose hope. You will get thru this.

Why are you not happy that you did surgery? How much have you lost.

I had a lot of people tell me that too- well the people I have told---- I was 212 and 5'4. But I know I would of never lost it. I am 14 weeks out and still not super happy I did the surgery. Hoping it turns around.

I actually haven't weighed in a few weeks but last time I weighed I had lost 43 I think? From week 8-14 I was nauseous all day - every smell made me gag and all food made me so grossed out. I hate Water now. Which is so bizarre and stinks because I don't drink coffee... So options are slim ( don't like crystal light type drinks- too sweet now) I went to the doctor multiple times but he just said my stomach must be sensitive . Just this week I have started feeling a bit better. I can't eat meat at all- which is worrisome to me because - I hate hate Protein powder and I worry I will have to take it my whole life

I just feel like before I felt fat. Now I feel

Sick. I would rather feel fat.

However I am still hoping it will turn around .

Okay, I'm at my PCP getting preop labs and EKG done. The nurse comes in to do everything and says oh you are having surgery & I answered yes. Then she saw what type surgery. She was like you are 222 lbs and you look so great why would you do this. I told her I started way higher at 244 and loss I have now is result of a 90 day dietician consult with diet changes. I said it's not that I can't lose the weight , it's that I can't keep it off. She said you are at risk for clots, stomach leak, taking Vitamins rest of your life and not to mention the nausea and diarrhea. I asked her if she had surgery and she said no but I had patients that had gastric sleeve and they have told me. I was like everyone is different and I trust in God and know I will be fine. She was like you don't need it. I wanted to say leave me the heck alone . She is seeing me after 20 lbs gone but didn't see me at 244.@ 5'6 . This is so irritating to me... no one is in support of me doing this . My PCP is on board though so that's good. Just tired of people saying what I don't need. I know my body ... lose 40 pack on 60... story of my life. I'm doing what's best for me. Bad enough my husband just doesn't get it and is totally against me having it. Geez!

I'm sorry to hear that. Me too. People tell me the same thing and they even say I'm going to look sick being skinny. I'm doing it for me and my health. Good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the BariatricPal App

Sleeve patients don't have malabsorption, so they don't necessarily need Vitamins for life (though it's suggested for micronutrients), and they don't typically have nausea/vomiting/diarrhea past the first few weeks post-op. The risk for clots is the same for any surgery, and leaks are very rare. So she's badly misinformed.

Also, just FYI, most doctor's offices don't actually employ registered nurses anymore (though there are a few that still do), so there's a good chance the "nurse" you're talking to is actually a medical assistant. While I don't want to dis MA's, they are absolutely critical to keeping patient flow going in a doctor's office, they are NOT registered nurses, and their training is limited to taking vital signs and a few other tasks they do in a doctor's office. So next time, ask her what her credentials are. Not that having an RN makes what she's saying OK, because it's wrong regardless, but it might help your perspective of where she's coming from, or give you ammunition to shut her down if that's what you want to do.

I address a lot of this kind of crap in my post

http://www.theantichick.com/2016/08/05/the-easy-way-out/

Bottom line, if diet/exercise worked even 50% of the time, they might have an argument. But the data tells a different story. I have no issue telling people to educate themselves before they start lecturing me about what to do with my body. My medical team and I came to a decision about what was the best option for me, and everyone else needs to respect that. If someone has a genuine concern or information, I'm happy to listen, but I don't tolerate people telling me I'm making the wrong call based on bad information.

Good luck to you!!!

Well said.

If you know you are doing ehats best for you then ignore them. Weight is a personal battle and what wotks for one will not work for all Good luck on your surgery!!!

#MovingForward

Thank you and good luck to you as well.

Okay, I'm at my PCP getting preop labs and EKG done. The nurse comes in to do everything and says oh you are having surgery & I answered yes. Then she saw what type surgery. She was like you are 222 lbs and you look so great why would you do this. I told her I started way higher at 244 and loss I have now is result of a 90 day dietician consult with diet changes. I said it's not that I can't lose the weight , it's that I can't keep it off. She said you are at risk for clots, stomach leak, taking Vitamins rest of your life and not to mention the nausea and diarrhea. I asked her if she had surgery and she said no but I had patients that had gastric sleeve and they have told me. I was like everyone is different and I trust in God and know I will be fine. She was like you don't need it. I wanted to say leave me the heck alone . She is seeing me after 20 lbs gone but didn't see me at 244.@ 5'6 . This is so irritating to me... no one is in support of me doing this . My PCP is on board though so that's good. Just tired of people saying what I don't need. I know my body ... lose 40 pack on 60... story of my life. I'm doing what's best for me. Bad enough my husband just doesn't get it and is totally against me having it. Geez!

I'm sorry to hear that. Me too. People tell me the same thing and they even say I'm going to look sick being skinny. I'm doing it for me and my health. Good luck

Heya, fellow 'Bama sleever! I just said this on another thread but I'll say it here too. I get this all the time too: "you're not that big, do you really need this surgery?" I'm 5'4 and I'm 215. Just like you, I'm sick of losing just to gain it back. I was in a 5k running program and working out with a physical trainer this summer, you'd think I'd lose weight. Nope! I

Angeline Jolie had a double mastectomy, and she didn't even have breast cancer...YET. Key word there is 'yet'. She knew her chances of breast cancer were high, and she didn't want to risk it. And the press called her brave. I'm similar but a bit different....she doesn't have cancer, but I AM obese. I don't want to get worse. I don't want to hit 250 or 300, and it seems like I'm doomed (my parents were both very obese). I am making this choice for my future. I'm already on a CPAP for sleep apnea, cholesterol meds and my blood pressure now is terribad. I'm sick of diet pills (I think I was becoming addicted to them) and there's not a 'diet' I haven't tried. I'm making this investment in myself. My husband isn't against it, but I think he doesn't completely get it.

So, I hope from reading the replies from this thread you know you're not alone in this, and we have your six (as we say in the Army). :)

@Dknal2 And we have the same surgery date!! *high fives*

Super awesome... thank you so much ... we will def stay in touch . I appreciate the motivation and encouragement

@Dknal2 And we have the same surgery date!! *high fives*

I would let the doctor for whom that nurse works know that she is putting her personal opinion on a patient's medical plans. Not her job or responsibility. She was out of line, given the context of her being at work.

In general, other than your immediate support system (if any), don't tell anyone. You don't need people's negative, uniformed energy coming at you as you are making decisions to better your life and get a peace about your body.

Again, that nurse had no business interjecting her personal opinion into your medical decisions. Not her place. Don't get her fired, but I would tell the doctor that you'd rather she not have addressed your personal condition with a negative energy.

I'm pretty sure I heard something similar as I was waking up from surgery. "Not THAT big." Clearly I am or the surgeon wouldn't have agreed to it.

I had sleeve surgery and have been at goal for 18 months. I lost 30 during the work up for surgery and people told me oh then why do you need surgery. This was some who has been a size 6 her whole life. I knew what I needed to help me lose the weight. If could do it by myself I would have. Don't let others judge you or bring you down. Bariatric surgery is a very personal thing. And it's nothing too be ashamed of. People who have never struggled with their weight just don't get it and never will.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App