Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap band to sleeve questions

I just had the lap band to sleeve surgery about 2 weeks ago this Wednesday. I have a few questions if anyone could answer them:

1. What are some of the differences between the lap band and the sleeve? Any different eating habits or do you feel full easier?

2. How long do you think that I can start eating regular food again? I've been using full liquids for about 2 weeks now.

3. I actually had some things that I thought were full liquids but weren't. I had a bad feeling after eating them. What will happen if I had a small amount of mashed potatoes or a mushed up meal like that? Will I get sick?

Anyone who can answer any of my questions thank you in advance.

There is a section on the forum for band to sleeve conversions that may help you. As for Q2 your surgeon determines your stages of reintroducing food and should provide you a plan. If not, call and ask them. Q3 there is no way to tell what will happen but what could happen is you get sick, you rupture your staple line, get a leak, get an infection. This is why it is not good to advance the stages.

Eating habits the same, but it's easier because you can eat Protein without getting stuck. Same rules, Protein first, chew your food really well, don't drink for 30 min. after eating. When you can eat depends on your surgeon. Follow your program for your safety.

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

I just had the lap band to sleeve surgery about 2 weeks ago this Wednesday. I have a few questions if anyone could answer them:

1. What are some of the differences between the lap band and the sleeve? Any different eating habits or do you feel full easier?

2. How long do you think that I can start eating regular food again? I've been using full liquids for about 2 weeks now.

3. I actually had some things that I thought were full liquids but weren't. I had a bad feeling after eating them. What will happen if I had a small amount of mashed potatoes or a mushed up meal like that? Will I get sick?

1. Full feels different now. I'm four weeks out from revision and get full very quickly-I'm on soft foods and can usually eat about 1/4 to 1/2 cup to feel full. Don't overeat! It's not like the band where you can eat a few more bites-if you think you are full, STOP!

It will all come back up.

2. Did your program give you a food progression program?? I was two weeks full liquids, two weeks puréed, two weeks soft and then ease into "regular" food. I just moved to soft foods earlier this week.

3. You had surgery on the INSIDE of your stomach. There is a food progression to allow the stitches and staple line inside of your stomach to heal. It didn't feel good because your stomach has an open wound. Call your doctors office or go see a dietitian.

You can mess up your recovery if you don't follow the rules.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I gotta say, I scratch my head often at some of questions fielded here.

You had a major surgery but didn't think to get any of the post op care materials from the surgeon before heading home?

I'm torn on this, because I belong to a Facebook group for the company where I had my surgery. Literally, every single day people are asking questions that I know for a fact are addressed in the post op care materials. Questions about when they can eat what, how long to dress the wounds, etc etc etc. I guess it's easier to ask a group of strangers on the internet sometimes than to get the information from the only trusted source (your surgeon).

Lastly, and I might take some abuse for pointing this out, you just had a second WLS surgery to revise from a previous failed WLS, yes?

WHY are you already looking for ways to eat around the sleeve? Liquids means liquids. Mashed potatoes are not only completely devoid of any nutrition whatsoever, but they are not liquid either!

WLS is only as successful as you decide it will be. If you don't put in the work required, it's unrealistic to expect the same results as people who do.

I just had my post op appointment. The reason why I had to get the sleeve was a decision made by the surgeon. Before when I had the surgery it was a plication with a lap band. Then he revised it to the sleeve surgery. When the surgeon before the surgery did it he messed it up. It wasn't done correctly. So basically this surgeon revised it and the best bet was to make it a sleeve. I am losing a lot of weight now but it is getting too much. I am losing too much weight on this.

Have you addressed these questions with your surgeon or NUT?

I am a bit confused at your first question. You've already had the revision surgery but you aren't sure of the difference between the band and the sleeve? I am POSITIVE I am misunderstanding that.

And no, mashed potatoes are NOT liquid. If you can't drink it through a straw, it's not liquid. (And no, just because you CAN drink it through a straw, doesn't mean you should. Milkshakes are out of the question! :D )

THINK PROTEIN!! If you get all your Protein in, you should not have room for anything else.

Why did you have surgery BEFORE you knew the answers to those questions? WLS is not magic.