Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ideas for non-meat proteins?

Good morning, BP! Over the last few weeks, my stomach has been rejecting meat in most forms...I can eat a little bit of fish, and maybe a bite of chicken, but nothing else. I'm consuming a lot of dairy and doing fine getting my Protein in, but I know some of you are vegetarians or vegans and may have some ideas for Protein that I haven't thought of. What's out there beyond cheese and Beans? My dietitian suggested textured vegetable protein, but the smell kills me...I can't put it in my mouth. I should probably try it in Tomato sauce?

Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated. I've lost 71 lbs and hope to reach my goal by the end of January, so I'm in the home stretch. My bmi is now just overweight instead of obese, and I really think I'm going to make it to goal...I just need a little push and some new Proteins might be just the thing :)

@@ShelterDog64,

How does your stomach handle tofu? I find tofu to be very tasty and satisfying and versatile. Use it in stir fry, Soups, and so many things. Picks up a great flavor when marinated!

I am not a vegetarian but I LOVE all of the morningstar farms meatless frozen products, especially the griller- style "burgers" the buffalo "chik" patties and the "sausage" patties.

The grillers have 15 g of Protein. Slap on a slice of reduced fat cheese, reduced sugar ketchup, and some pickle relish and you've got a quick tasty meal with lots of Protein.< /p>

Sent from my SM-J700P using the BariatricPal App

Morningstar stuff and Loma Linda brand meat substitutes are pretty good. I grew up vegetarian, and found some of my old childhood favorites (Loma Linda Big Franks) on Amazon. My sleeve is really liking the TVP, it sits better than meat for me. My only problem is that my family thinks it's gross, and even though I'm not asking them to eat it, they moan and complain anytime they "have" to watch me eat it. LOL.

Seriously, meat substitutes don't taste like meat (IMHO) but if you don't expect that, if you let them taste like their own thing, they're pretty good. Granted, a lot of them look and smell like pet food, but once you cook it, it gets better.

I'm a fan of tofurky slices. So tasty.

HW 341 lbs

07/19/16 - 298 lbs

08/09/16 DOS - 286 lbs

CW 251 lbs

Edamame is awesome

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Some of my faves -

Chia seeds are great, can sprinkle them in everything, 2 T equal 6g of Protein. Tempeh = 16g per 3 oz serving. Black Beans 7.6g per half cup. Peanuts are 7g per 1/4c (or 2T peanut butter), cashews are 5g per 1/4c. Lentils and lima beans are up there too but I don't like those too much hehe.

Some of my faves -

Chia seeds are great, can sprinkle them in everything, 2 T equal 6g of Protein. Tempeh = 16g per 3 oz serving. Black Beans 7.6g per half cup. Peanuts are 7g per 1/4c (or 2T peanut butter), cashews are 5g per 1/4c. Lentils and lima Beans are up there too but I don't like those too much hehe.

I LOVELOVELOVE lentils and limas...I eat lentils 3 or 4 times a week, with curry spices or onions or tomatoes. I adore them. I love limas too but they don't love me...do you think it could be the skins on them?

Thanks to you and your suggestion a while back about kefir, I bought some at Whole Foods and loved drinking it. It had been a while since I'd had any, so I wanted to give it a trial run before I bought the grains to make it myself.

And tell me how you prepare tempeh? I can get it at our military grocery store, surprisingly, so I'm willing to give it a shot.

"Some of my faves -

Chia seeds are great, can sprinkle them in everything, 2 T equal 6g of Protein. Tempeh = 16g per 3 oz serving. Black Beans 7.6g per half cup. Peanuts are 7g per 1/4c (or 2T peanut butter), cashews are 5g per 1/4c. Lentils and lima Beans are up there too but I don't like those too much hehe.

I LOVELOVELOVE lentils and limas...I eat lentils 3 or 4 times a week, with curry spices or onions or tomatoes. I adore them. I love limas too but they don't love me...do you think it could be the skins on them?

Thanks to you and your suggestion a while back about kefir, I bought some at Whole Foods and loved drinking it. It had been a while since I'd had any, so I wanted to give it a trial run before I bought the grains to make it myself.

And tell me how you prepare tempeh? I can get it at our military grocery store, surprisingly, so I'm willing to give it a shot."

Yeah, it may be the skins on them :(. Wow, great to hear you are drinking kefir! It's so so so good for our gut health.

Tempeh can be substituted for ground beef in any recipe, just crumble it in your recipe as you would ground beef. Some like to broil it with a layer of cheese or put it in Soups, chilis, salads or stews. I remember seeing a vegetarian tempeh chili recipe once. Like Tofu (it's just the fermented sibling of tofu hehe), it takes on the taste of whatever you use as spices.

Found this page, I'll probably try some of these too. :D http://www.crazyvegankitchen.com/15-of-the-best-vegan-tempeh-recipes/

The trick with TVP is the sauce. It's great in things with strong flavors and not so great anywhere else. Try it in chili instead of meat, or try it in spaghetti sauce.

Also, are you rehydrating it before using it? Pour boiling Water over it and let it sit for ten minutes before draining it and using it.

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App