Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does therapy help?

While on your weight loss journey, did you find that going for therapy helped you deal with your food issues? If so, how did it help? Did the therapist help you figure out why you were addicted to food? Do they have some special trick that helps you lose the addiction?

How did you find a therapist who was good with weight loss issues? Several of them in my area list weight loss as one of their specialties, but I am still nervous about going to someone who just tells me to eat less and exercise more. WLS will help fix the physical issue, but many people (myself included) need to figure out the root causes of the weight gain.

I'm going to attend my first support group meeting next week, so I will ask for some local recommendations at that time, but I am interested in hearing about other people's experiences with seeing a therapist to help fix your head.

@@ZinNH This is SUCH a great topic, and one I wish more people thought about ahead of surgery.

Most programs require a psychological evaluation during the pre-op pathway, that's how I found my therapist. When she and I were talking about where my head needed to be to have success with WLS, I asked her about figuring WHY I let myself get so fat, and how was I going to keep it from happening again? That was the start of a wonderful relationship that's aiding me immeasurably as I make my way through losing weight for the millionth time...her help is making me realize that there's a VERY good chance I can keep it off and be healthy for the rest of my life.

So, talk to your support group, and your surgeon's office and find someone...I can't recommend it enough.

I really didn't have any counseling before my RNY just the mental evaluation which is pretty standard. But...after my surgery, I had problems with Strictures and had to have 5 endoscopes with 4 dilations. Which started within my 1st month. Now I had my RNY on July 2, 2013. When I went in for my 6 week check up I told my PA that it felt like my food just sat on top of my pouch but would finally go down, he wanted to do a endo at that time. But I told him I thought it was just me learning my full spot. And I think I just took 1 bite to many. But...by Nov I was throwing up and couldn't even hold Water down. So in we went. In Dec the same thing, Jan 2014 again July again. With my last one in Jan 2015. So I had so much trouble I developed an aversion to food. (I lived on oatmeal, Cheeto's Dr was fine with my Cheetos because I could NOT eat) So finally I went to counseling on my own. But here in our area no one is familiar with WLS. She didn't have a clue. Finally, I ask my Surgeon for help. He sent me to a BARIATRIC NUTRITIONIST!!! I came out bummed hard. Her answer was she wanted me to eat ever 1/2 hour I was awake!! I thought and voiced myself that I just traded one eating disorder for another!! I refused to do that. But I can say I have overcome this. I am now able to eat better, still not much meat but I am ok. I eat lots of Beans and cheese I can eat hamb if it is soupy. But all in all I'm ok. I lost my weight below goal, My Lowest weight was 117#'s but I now weigh 125#'s and have maintained this weight for 2 and 1/2 years. I can say just this 8#'s has made such a difference in my health. I on

I've seen there are therapist that specializes in food issues or worked in bariatric programs before..si awesome

My psychologist doesn't have this direct experience however he has helped me to think about my relationship with food, emotional eating and how my trauma issues might be behind my maintaining so much weight....

He also has given me ideas for managing food triggers and managing difficult times. It helps

I also read a book by a dr tanie on coping with or after weight loss surgery. Really helpful

Cognitive behavioral therapy really is helpful and one of the best therapies for food issues among other things

All therapist aren't created equal so sometimes it can be tricky to find the right one! If course I found a therapist lobefirebefomy sleeve bc I have PTSD and bipolar. I had other things to deal with and feel fortunate to have his support in my journey

ABSOLUTELY!! I would not have lost what I did and definitely would not be be maintaining without the help of my therapist. I went to her regularly for the first three years and now just on an "as needed " basis, maybe a couple times/year. I also attended a local WLS support group for 5 1/2 years and am delving into the work of online forums at this point.

But unlike my group support, my therapist did not specialize in bariatric patients. For me, my "food addiction" was really about my emotions and ability to deal with life's stresses. No secret childhood traumas in my past, just poor coping skills in general. That's what we addressed and discovered new ways to deal with my emotions and break from destructive thought patterns. Therapy has helped me in all aspects of my life, not just food and weight-related issues.

This post just reminded me to make an appointment to the counselor. My psychologist referred me to a place who offered counseling on food addictions, binge eating, etc. I'm a binge eater. I've suppressed it on my own for a few months, but as soon as stress wreaks my body or hormones get out of whack, I'm subject to starting the crazy cycle all over again...

Counseling is vital. Losing half your body weight is life changing and not just because you can shopat forever 21...

Yes, yes, yes. So much yes! I started therapy with a therapist who specializes in eating disorders at about 10 months post op. I wish I would have started going to her pre-op. She has made all the difference. At about 10 months, for me, I felt completely healed and was able to eat sugary things or more in volume without having the negative side effects you have right after surgery. That scared the crap out of me. So that is when and why I sought it out. I tried going to a nutritionist, but honestly I've been on every diet in the world and probably could be a nutritionist. Knowing what I SHOULD eat wasn't the problem. Figuring out why I constantly sabotage myself was the problem. I know without a doubt that if I would not have sought out help I would not be maintaining 125 pounds lost 3 years later. Also, if you try therapy and you don't "click" with the therapist, don't give up. It may take trying a couple before you find someone you work well with. I was luck and found someone amazing. She's really more like a friend with a lot of good wisdom now after spending an hour with her every week for 3 years. lol. Aside from the surgery itself, it was the best thing I have done for myself!

A thousand times yes.

I didn't go looking for anyone who knew about bariatric surgery. I selected someone who specializes in eating disorders and body image problems. The same mental processes behind anorexia typically are behind binge/emotional eating, it's just a different reaction to them.

The reasons why are as different as the people themselves. For me, I have several things that intersect to result in my obesity. First, I have a PTSD-type reaction to vegetables because my father repeatedly pinned me down and force-fed them to me as a child. So I don't eat veggies or salads or anything like that, and the reaction extends to foods that are not in my comfort zone. There's also some emotional neglect that has resulted in my using food to self-soothe and I have a hard time with self-discipline. It's almost always about more than just the food. A good therapist is going to help you dig down and identify the root causes of the issues and then help you develop the skills and coping mechanisms to deal with it.

I can't recommend therapy highly enough. Sometimes it's challenging to find a therapist with the right fit, but it's worth it.

ABSOLUTELY!! I would not have lost what I did and definitely would not be be maintaining without the help of my therapist. I went to her regularly for the first three years and now just on an "as needed " basis, maybe a couple times/year. I also attended a local WLS support group for 5 1/2 years and am delving into the work of online forums at this point.

But unlike my group support, my therapist did not specialize in bariatric patients. For me, my "food addiction" was really about my emotions and ability to deal with life's stresses. No secret childhood traumas in my past, just poor coping skills in general. That's what we addressed and discovered new ways to deal with my emotions and break from destructive thought patterns. Therapy has helped me in all aspects of my life, not just food and weight-related issues.

What she said...except my therapist does have a bariatric background and has had WLS herself. I don't think it's something you must have when picking a therapist...as long as you have someone who is skilled with helping those like us who have difficulties with coping. I know that is me to a tee.

Ask a nutritionist for a referral they usually know who deals well with food issues.

I have to have therapy as part of my program. She helps me to identify the unhelpful dialogues in my head. But it wasn't until I went away by myself for a month for the sole purpose of soul searching this and a couple of other topics that I finally figured it all out. I understand this isn't an option for most people but I'm in between jobs so the timing was perfect. I journaled, colored, walked the dog, and wrote letters to my dead parents, sister, and abuser. I burnt them in a ritual at the campfire. And now my head is in the right place.

Good luck. You can do this!

Sent from my SM-G920P using the BariatricPal App

YES therapy helps with everything!! I can't even imagine going through life without it at this point.

To everyone, have any of you tried online therapy? I was thinking about going that route since it's more convenient and it's for periodic binge eating. I've already had my psych evaluation...

Yes yes yes! It's helped me not only with food issues, but with other ways my personality, quirks, strengths, and weakness impact my life in other ways. I couldn't handle life's ups and downs without it, and I think ANYONE who is open to therapy should go at some point, whether it is for food/weight issues or something else.