Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone purposely vary their caloric intake?

I spoke with my bariatric nurse about 2 weeks ago. At the time I was eating 600-750 cals and 60g Protein a day. She said to boost my cals to 800-950 a day and 7-80g Protein, so I did. I am trying to work my way into getting my all my protein from food, which means that I am consuming more food with solid byproducts. That is leading me to have more issues with Constipation and some delays with loss. I have been gaining and losing the same 1.5lbs for the past 5 days.

Prior to upping my cals, I was averaging 1lb a day since surgery and in the past 10 days of higher cals I have been averaging 0.5lbs.

Should I consider ignoring the nurse and going back down to 750? Should I just chalk it up to mini stall and constipation?

I was also thinking of doing something along the lines of two days food, one day liquid only to mix things up and maybe help move things along. Does anyone stagger their caloric intake or switch up between food days and all liquid days?

HW 385 SW 359 CW 335 (50lbs down!) Sleeved 10/5/16

nope. Ive set my goal at around 850 and don't often make it that high. doesn't seem to matter I''m still losing and actually increasing my calories broke my last stall. Frankly a pound a day is not realistic for any length of time (i only lost at that rate during my 2 week liquid diet and not since) so don't get used to that as normal or you will drive yourself crazy. .5lbs a day is fantastic, works out to about 15lbs a month which is pretty rapid weight loss as far as i'm concerned and that is faster weight loss than i expect for myself. I still do one shake a day, but I enjoy it. I used restoralax and don't get constipated. My stalls have typically lasted a week. I'm religiously sticking to plan and weighing and measuring everything still. Keep in mind that outside of bariatric surgery a 10lb loss for a month is considered extraordinarily great. This is a long game. choose foods well and stick it out and your body will do what it needs to do. from what i've read most of what you lose in the 1st year is mainly determined by genetics but what you lose beyond that and whether you have maintained it at 3 years out is much more influenced by your lifestyle and food choices. the vets on here who've been successful all echo that.

Im not focusing specifically on the weight, i just noticed that the weight loss slowed when I upped my cals. Maybe it would have slowed anyway...

Between Constipation and not losing, I was trying to decide if I should go back to previous method, change it up, or ride it out for a while.

I keep track of all consumed calories in the spark people app.

Staggering your calories to "mix things up" or "trick your body" are just fad diets. You don't gain weight by the day nor lose it. It's a gradual decline or incline. You would have to mix things up by the week. And then you would only be teaching your body to hold on reserve on the lean weeks.

This is why we had the surgery, to get away from the fad diets. Just stick to the plan your surgeon provided.

I'm 10 weeks post-op revision to sleeve, after the 5th week, I've been slowly ramping up. My program wanted my goal to be between 800 to 1200 cal/day. Some days I eat 800, other days I eat 1200. I don't do it intentionally though. Some days I'm just not hungry, other days I am. Other than the first few weeks (lost a lot of Water weight the 3rd and 4th week), if I'm under 1000, I still lose but my weight loss slows down to a crawl.

Staggering your calories to "mix things up" or "trick your body" are just fad diets. You don't gain weight by the day nor lose it. It's a gradual decline or incline. You would have to mix things up by the week. And then you would only be teaching your body to hold on reserve on the lean weeks.

This is why we had the surgery, to get away from the fad diets. Just stick to the plan your surgeon provided.

I wasnt trying to trick my body. I am trying to find what works for me. I was losing at a faster rate and using the facilities on the reg when consuming less calories. The nurse said bump up, so I did but I havent gone a normal amount in 4 days.

The point was to see if anyone else varied their intake to keep everything dropping like its supposed to. Or if anyone else switched between full food and liquids in an intermintant fasting kind of way.

I know that i will lose the weight eventually, i am not handling the fullness and bloating that comes with Constipation well. Its been literally over a decade since I have had tbis problem.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches