Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If you travelled for surgery, how long did you stick around after?

I am looking at surgical centers around Orlando. However, since I am self pay, I thought about traveling to Boca for about a 5k savings.

IMO...I was thinking about staying in town, near the Dr for the rest of the week.

What are your opinions? How many appts did you have with your surgeon post-op?

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

I had surgery in TJ six years ago. Surgery Monday afternoon. Discharged Tuesday morning. Returned Wednesday morning to have drain and incisions checked.....then went shopping. Thursday morning they removed the drain and I flew home that afternoon. No appointments with surgeon after that. Just Followed up with my regular doctor for bloodwork at 3 months, 6 months and then annually.

I had surgery on a Thursday afternoon at about 2pm, then was discharged from the surgery center at around 5:30pm, after getting in 4 bags of fluids from the IV. I was told I could return home the next morning. My surgeon paid for my hotel.

Honestly, I probably should have stayed a full day after surgery to allow the gas to dissipate a bit, because the drive home was miserable.

Had sleeve on a Wednesday morning, discharged Thursday noon (I didn't have drains). My first follow up was at 12 twelve days out.

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

I had surgery on Friday, Vitamin IV therapy (and was discharged - outpatient procedure) the following Monday. Flew home (7 hours of flight time) on Tuesday. Was in Vegas for 7 days total (including two before surgery for nutrition class.)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I had surgery in Boca Raton and I live in Tampa. I had a 2 day hospital stay and went home right after being discharged

Had no issue sitting in the car. You just have to get out every hour and walk around. It makes you feel better plus circulation to prevent blood clots.

I was self pay too. Dr's in Tampa wanted 27k but I paid 10.5k in Boca.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the BariatricPal App

Edited by kjkashmaniac

I had surgery on Friday, Vitamin IV therapy (and was discharged - outpatient procedure) the following Monday. Flew home (7 hours of flight time) on Tuesday. Was in Vegas for 7 days total (including two before surgery for nutrition class.)

HalFAB-ulous! Did you have it done at Blossom Bariatrics?

I had surgery in Boca Raton and I live in Tampa. I had a 2 day hospital stay and went home right after being discharged

Had no issue sitting in the car. You just have to get out every hour and walk around. It makes you feel better plus circulation to prevent blood clots.

Did you see Dr Shillingford?

Sorry I'm still trying to figure out how to reply to people.

Yes, Dr Shillingford did my surgery on 10-24.

Sorry I'm still trying to figure out how to reply to people.

Yes, Dr Shillingford did my surgery on 10-24.

I have a consultation in Orlando on Nov 10, but if too high (I think they charge ~15k), I may go to Boca

My surgery was 10/21. I'm doing really well, but I think I've had an above par experience. Dr. Apel did my surgery. I'm chomping at the bit to move to stewed meat phase, but am being a good girl and waiting. I weighed in Monday 10/24 at 308.6 and yesterday (9 days later) at 295.2

I found Ancient Nutrition bone broth Protein at my local health food store to be the easiest to tolerate.

What are your struggles?