Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know I know don't weigh. Just curious ...

I am 1 week out today.

HW 238 SW 230 CW 225 Age 47 5'6

When do you start to see steady weight loss begin? I am 2 weeks post-op Tuesday I lost 5pounds within the first 4 days and have not lost since. I went up and down within that 5 lbs. I have been getting in 64 ounces of Water and 50 to 60 g of Protein at this point as well as keeping my calories 500 to 650. My Surgeons packet estimated the first 10 days you should lose 10 to 15 pounds but I am not at that so of course I'm a little frustrated but I so understand that everyone is different. I know something is happening because my clothes are fitting looser. But like everyone on here at one time you want to see it confirmed on the scale Has anyone else experienced this with in the first couple weeks? When did you start to see some dramatic weight loss or at least consistent? Love this site and love all of your help

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I wouldn't know. I only weighed once/month....at the recommendation of my therapist and the veterans in my support group. "Not losing fast enough" is one of the biggest complaints early on. Newbies were actually banned from whining about it in group. the scale usually just distracts from the more important aspects and creates too much emotional drama. Getting in your Protein, fluids, working on changing old behaviors and establishing a new lifestyle is all you should be concerned with for the first several months.

I weighed daily, twice a day. What I didn't do is compare myself to others because there are so many factors that determine weight loss; gender, physical activity, post op diet, pre op weigh loss, BMI, RMR, genetics, age...

Don't go by the numbers on the scale, they honestly mean nothing. Go with how your clothes feel. That's what people see. ;)

You will get there. Stop stressing yourself out. :)

I sooo feel your frustration. I was sleeved on 10-11 and lost 21 in the first 10 day....but the scale the last 7 days wouldn't budge...not even and ounce. This morning I'm happy to say scale finally moved. Woo Hoo! Don't give up it does work!

I am 1 week out today.

HW 238 SW 230 CW 225 Age 47 5'6

When do you start to see steady weight loss begin? I am 2 weeks post-op Tuesday I lost 5pounds within the first 4 days and have not lost since. I went up and down within that 5 lbs. I have been getting in 64 ounces of Water and 50 to 60 g of Protein at this point as well as keeping my calories 500 to 650. My Surgeons packet estimated the first 10 days you should lose 10 to 15 pounds but I am not at that so of course I'm a little frustrated but I so understand that everyone is different. I know something is happening because my clothes are fitting looser. But like everyone on here at one time you want to see it confirmed on the scale Has anyone else experienced this with in the first couple weeks? When did you start to see some dramatic weight loss or at least consistent? Love this site and love all of your help

Hey sleeve buddy. Please don't worry about why the scale isn't moving. You are doing everything they asked of you with Protein intake and Water. You aren't eating chicken wings or steak.

Give your body a minute to adjust to the fact that you are taking in such a low level of calories. Everyone's rate of loss is different at this point-none any better than another. A wise friend of mine reminded me that this isn't a sprint, it's a marathon.

Slow and steady beats a jackrabbit start anytime!

Keep on doing what's right and it will catch up with you on the scale.

Terri

I have not experienced steady weight loss and am 4 mths out. I just roll with it because there is no need to add stress by worrying. We can't control our bodies but we can control what we put it them.

I weigh in about once all week however after reading some of the replies above I may move to once a month I am starting to come at peace with the idea that it will come off when it comes off I have lost significant amount of weight I am down 53 pounds since surgery September 13th however I know one of my downfalls will be freaking out when the scale and it will go out from time to time hang in there keep focused and always remember that you are 10 steps ahead of where you were prior to surgery

In the beginning weighing more than once a week or every couple weeks will just mess with your mind

I did that and it drove me crazy

When I scale less and track the slow periods and losses even out and is reasonable

As long as we follow the plan the scale is more of a distraction

@@PLEZ Congrats - that's a great loss!!! I hope I do as well!

Thank you....285 to 231....I feel great. I learned that even with surgery it's still a game of mental gymnastics.

Funny...i was going to ask a similar question. I'm 2 weeks out and I hear people who hv lost 20 some lbs and I lost maybe 3 or 4 the 1st week and 0 this week....its discouraging. Even though I KNOW all the right things (everyone's different, it's a marathon, give your body a chance) I'd just like to see some reward for all the Water drinkin', Soup slurpin' says that I've been trying so hard with. I'm sure you all understand. I'm glad about this forum because there's so much support. And when I get hung up on that I can move on after reading some encouraging words and read some other great info on another topic!

I am almost one week out and was pumped with so many bags of saline IV Fluid in the hospital that my weight went up 5 lbs. I probably won't see a loss until the swelling from the surgery leaves and all of the extra IV Fluid comes off. I'm 4 days out and finally able to keep liquids down but have not lost any weight. I hear that this is normal. Anyone else have this experience?

My first week (I think 10 days) I didn't lose a pound yet taking in only 300-500 cal/day. It's just your body retaining Water or adjusting to the major surgery, try not to let the scale dictate your moods. I know it's hard in the beginning...

I weigh every day, although I totally understand those who do not. I started on June 17, 2009 when I first got my band surgery, and look at my log/charts often. Just for myself, I feel if I don't, then I'll lose track like before when I creeped up to almost 300 lbs (probably more because I didn't ever weigh myself :P). It's just a friendly reminder that I care about my health.

Funny...i was going to ask a similar question. I'm 2 weeks out and I hear people who hv lost 20 some lbs and I lost maybe 3 or 4 the 1st week and 0 this week....its discouraging. Even though I KNOW all the right things (everyone's different, it's a marathon, give your body a chance) I'd just like to see some reward for all the Water drinkin', Soup slurpin' says that I've been trying so hard with. I'm sure you all understand. I'm glad about this forum because there's so much support. And when I get hung up on that I can move on after reading some encouraging words and read some other great info on another topic!

I'm right here with you and the OP and actually made a similar thread. It is so very frustrating to have this surgery and be in pain and then be so careful with eating and drinking and not lose. I also haven't lost anything in 10 days and I'm only 18 days out. I guess all we can do is keep doing what they say. It's tough when others on the board are losing 20 or 30 lbs the first month though! I'm only down 7 since surgery date.

Wow. Are you guys exercising yet? My surgeon told me to get on the treadmill 3-4 days out as much as I can tolerate. I plan to start tomorrow at a slow pace for 20 minutes