Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help I went in for my initial consultation and wanted the Gastric Sleeve the doctor suggested the Duodenal switch surgery

If I were in your situation, I would talk with:

Mitchell Roslin, MD
E-mail: mroslin@lenoxhill.net
Phone: 212 434-3285
Lenox Hill Hospital
130 E 77 th St
New York , NY 10021

Thanks MaryCatherine but I really don't have a situation the first day I went in for my consultation I was a bit confused because I thought he would recommend the Gastric Sleeve instead he recommended the DS.

But after reading on this forum and talking to other people I decided I'm definitely going with the Gastric Sleeve for my own reasons. Thanks for your input.

Sent from my Bat Phone using the BariatricPal App

The same thing happened to me. I thought I wanted the sleeve; I'm 5'2" and was just over the necessary BMI to be approved for WLS. However, I had severe GERD, and also diabetes and sleep apnea. I was concerned I would lose too much weight with Gastric Bypass Duodenal switch. My surgeon told me that the sleeve may not resolve my diabetes and that it would make the GERD worse. So GPS it is!

I have to say I'm very happy to have decided on the bypass. I'm down 30 pounds since surgery five weeks ago. My weight loss is slowing (which I'm okay with), and my diabetes is resolved as is my high blood pressure and sleep apnea.

I'd say, go with your surgeon's recommendation. He's done many of these surgeries and seen the outcomes firsthand. But, if you are really uncomfortable, then attempt to get a second opinion.

Take care and I hope everything goes well for you.

The same thing happened to me. I thought I wanted the sleeve; I'm 5'2" and was just over the necessary BMI to be approved for WLS. However, I had severe GERD, and also diabetes and sleep apnea. I was concerned I would lose too much weight with Gastric Bypass Duodenal switch. My surgeon told me that the sleeve may not resolve my diabetes and that it would make the GERD worse. So GPS it is!

I have to say I'm very happy to have decided on the bypass. I'm down 30 pounds since surgery five weeks ago. My weight loss is slowing (which I'm okay with), and my diabetes is resolved as is my high blood pressure and sleep apnea.

I'd say, go with your surgeon's recommendation. He's done many of these surgeries and seen the outcomes firsthand. But, if you are really uncomfortable, then attempt to get a second opinion.

Take care and I hope everything goes well for you.

Thank you very much I appreciate the input and best of luck to you and continued success.

You said at first that you were leaning towards the Sleeve, but your Dr recommended the DS. Then you said if it didn't work out you could go back for another WLS. I would strongly think hard on that. It isn't easy to get revisions approved and sometimes they can even do the surgery. Now I will try to explain why I feel this way. It might be a long but here goes....My hubby had the Lap Band for 13 years, they punctured the port and he had to go back to surgery. Then like I said 13 years out it malfunctioned. BTW he did lose 100#'s but he is a heavy big guy. Sept of 2013 he went in for a revision from the band to a RNY. When they got in there the band had eroded into his liver. There was too much bleeding and scar tissue so they backed out. No WLS for him. They removed the band and his gallbladder then told us in 3 months they would redo his WLS. NOT!! He developed abscesses and was deathly sick for 9 months 3 of them he doesn't remember. After he healed up we went back to the Surgeon but was turned away and called a problem child!! But he did get a reference to OREGON HEALTH AND UNIVERSITY in Portland, Oregon. Again, he was told to lose 25#'s and get his A1C down to a 7 or 8. (3 month blood sugars) he couldn't do both because if his A1C was down his weight was up, the other way around weight down BS up. So we went into debt and went to Juarez, Mexico. When they got in there his whole right side was solid scar tissue then again no RNY, they did the Sleeve. Now he has lost 60#'s but you know how we all say this Surgery saved our lives? Well, he has Cancer on his Kidney and was told that he couldn't have anything done until he loses 150#'s. He now still has 90#'s to go. The Sleeve just doesn't seem to have enough restriction. I know others have great results but it isn't happening for him. All of this and he might still lose his life!!! This is why I say it doesn't always happen to have more WLS. I would really think hard on what surgery I had and go for the one that will give you all of the results that you want and need!! Just my thoughts. Good Luck

What a story thanks for sharing yes I'm going full steam ahead for the Gastric Sleeve and I'm confident I'm going to make the Sleeve work. I meant I had a back up plan to do the second half of the surgery if worse came to worse.

After reading the great success stories with the Gastric Sleeve I'm going to do it. My best to your husband I will pray for him

Thank you!!! I didn't realize that you weren't saying that you could just go to another surgery. LOL It isn't easy for sure. Good Luck on your Sleeve Surgery. Keep us posted on your Journey.

I originally wanted gastric sleeve. My mayo primary care Dr. Suggested I have gastric by-pass. I had consultation with bariatric Dr. & he also suggested by-pass. My first nutritional class at Mayo was excellent. She went in detail all the options. Gastric by-pass is the most successful, you lose approximately 70% of your body went. Studies show after 5 years the average weight gain is 20% of weight lost. So if you lost 100 lbs most gained back was 20lbs. That's manageable to lose. Suffice to say I chose by-pass, surgery Nov 28.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I originally wanted gastric sleeve. My mayo primary care Dr. Suggested I have gastric by-pass. I had consultation with bariatric Dr. & he also suggested by-pass. My first nutritional class at Mayo was excellent. She went in detail all the options. Gastric by-pass is the most successful, you lose approximately 70% of your body went. Studies show after 5 years the average weight gain is 20% of weight lost. So if you lost 100 lbs most gained back was 20lbs. That's manageable to lose. Suffice to say I chose by-pass, surgery Nov 28.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Thanks for your comments like I heard here so many times that this surgery is just a tool if you have bypass or Sleeve you have to put the work into it.

Good luck

I don't know anything about DS. So I can't comment on that, and nobody knows what's best for you but you. I do, however, wish to share that I have the sleeve surgery that you were hoping to get, and my highest weight was in the 320s. I am 11 months out of surgery and currently weighing 195. There are many people on these forms who have had tremendous success with the sleeve, and many of them started at a higher weight than I did. I'm sure your doctor has his reasons, but I think it is completely reasonable for you to want a doctor Who will support you in choosing the least invasive least dramatic surgery to help you with your weight-loss efforts.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

JupiterVirgo That's so encouraging and inspired me more to succeed with the Sleeve surgery. Congrats on your amazing weight loss. I have to get over this fear I have about having surgery I never had any surgery at all.

Hey Big John, how's it going? Any new development? Any surgery yet? I'm not yet, better be December cause January starts a new year. Want it before my birthday ,(December 26th) but it would be the first birthday gift in years I really wanted, if I get anything these days its crap and heartache. Let's heat from ya Dude!

Sent from my S55 using the BariatricPal App

Hey Big John, how's it going? Any new development? Any surgery yet? I'm not yet, better be December cause January starts a new year. Want it before my birthday ,(December 26th) but it would be the first birthday gift in years I really wanted, if I get anything these days its crap and heartache. Let's heat from ya Dude!

Nice to hear you Rosey I'm moving slow I got a few preop test done I still need the stress test and endoscopy and a few more. The Psychologist made me leave her office without a straight jacket so I think I passed that one lol

I hope and pray things go as planned for you. I dread surgery I never was even in a hospital.. I just can't do this myself I need the surgery tool.

Stay in touch

So how's my New Joisy Dude? Saw Bruce S campaigning for HRC, getting old but then aren't we all? Thought of you when I saw him, better than Bridge gate reminding me, yeah. Hope its a pretty day today there, its coolish here about 50 degrees and clear. Best to ya anyway.