Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgeon says I should only focus on losing 50-70% of excess weight -Boo!

If you want it, you work towards it. Don't listen to what the Dr said about not losing 100% of your EBW.

I have lost 77% of my EBW and I will get to my goal of 155. About 25 pounds of my EBW will be skin removal. So when I get to about 180 I will look into getting the surgery which should take me to my goal. Don't forget depending on your weight you to may have loose skin that needs to be removed and that weight counts toward your goal.

My surgeon set a very attainable goal for me.....don't quite remember the number, but it definitely left me in the overweight category. And really, as far as EWL goes, they are considered successful if their patients lose 60%. I, however had a higher standard of expectation for myself and my goal weight was much lower than his. I actually ended up exceeding even my own lofty goal and have maintained an over 100% EWL for over 3 years. So anything is possible. Bariatric stats and your surgeon's limited expectations do not have to dictate your final outcome. Go ahead and lose however much you want to.

I had sleeve surgery in Mar 2016, six months ago. I dropped 50 lbs in ~3 months, and haven't lost a pound since, even though my diet has been spot on. 50 lbs is exactly 60% of my excess weight, which is the expected "average" weight loss for the sleeve surgery.

I don't know why 60% of excess weight is the average weight loss for a sleeve patient, but it is. Different surgeries have different percentages. If you want better results than average, you have to push yourself more than the average patient.

The surgery + average post-surgery behavior = average weight loss. If you want more weight loss, you have to do more. Are you willing to push yourself more? Only you can say.

Personally, I haven't yet, but that's my decision. I know if I put in a little more effort, I could go further. But either way, the benefits have been amazing and well worth it.

@@careya123

We could be twins. My goal is to shop in normal size stores and departments which I reached a month ago (within 6 months post surgery). I'm only at 60% of my EBW and people are asking if I really want to lose 40 pds more. I know I do but I'm not panicked about this stall. Yet...

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Dr. say that because for a lot of sleeve patients the first half of your excess weight comes off very quickly. And easily. Speaking relatively. That doesn't mean there is no effort, but in the first six months your body is scrambling to gather nutrition and other resources from its storage! Most surgeons tell people to do a form of Adkins old diet, low-carb and high-Protein. People who get the surgery already know that sheer force of will/dieting is not a lifelong answer to healing or issues with food. Basically, I think the development of new better and healthier habits, a more intimate relationship with ourselves, and a recognition that there is no race to the finish line here because we will always need to be careful about our relationships with food. It takes more effort to get off that last 30%. I am just under a year out of surgery, and down over 100 pounds, with another 40 to go. Two thirds of my weight to practically fell off of me. This last third, I'll probably have to work for. But that work, will allow me to really step into the power of learning to take care of my body. There are a lot of people who have had the surgery that have gotten all of their extra weight off. All of it! Like anything, it's all about what you put into it. I know you can do it!

CYA is a term many know in the medical field. It's why the % was put out there. In my personal opinion I took the information as a suggestion not a carved in stone number. Every one was told we each need to do all we can to improve those numbers. I'm a week away from 6 months and almost at 50lb loss. I haven't started a regular exercise routine due to bad knee's. But I'm going to start now that I'm lighter.

I've got 30 lbs to goal! Pray for me!

We are given the tool, what we do after is up to us.

Also, remember that they're quoting an average. Averages are nice, but they don't tell the whole story. Some people will lose 100% of their EBW, some 10%. I believe you get out of it what you put into it. An average shouldn't be seen as a guarantee or a limitation. Ask what makes the difference between the 60%'rs and the 90%'rs. Emulating them is how we exceed "average".

I had the surgery on March 1st and to this date I have only lost 54 pounds. Prior to surgery on my pre-surgery diet I kicked butt and lost 39 lb's but that was totally me, no surgery involved. Still that means my total loss so far is 93 pounds and I do look drastically different already.

after surgery I was never sick, never queazy, no food made me feel bad and I have always been able to eat anything I tried to eat without ill effects. I also don't and never had a restriction on swallowing liquids. The only difference between you and me is that if I overeat in one sitting I do feel a restriction on the amount I can eat.

At times I have felt a little cheated and wondered if the Dr. did enough or took enough of my stomach etc, because I was hoping for more help in the first few months because that's when they say you will lose the most.

Now I realize that its going to be up to me. If I keep eating to many carbs (and I do) I am not going to continue to lose weight. It's a mental game and I had expectations that aren't realistic. I will have to do my own low carbing and just use the sleeve as a tool to assist. Once I realized this I felt better about it.

I do look better, I do FEEL better and I do have to take responsibility for what goes in my mouth! LOL ( Damn it)