Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Worried about Food

I have to confess, I have the "new band" whatever that is and I have cheated. I was banded 8/23 and have had a terrible appetite. I have had no problem with vomiting, or actually anything, axcept soreness, I have to cook for a big family and I have tried a few bites of things and now the guilt is killing me. Have I messed up everything?

Dont let the guilt kill you. But you may be damaging your band. If your doctor put you on a diet for the band he did it for the band(this is how I look at it) You are the only one that can control yourself. You need to think about why you got the band and How your going to help YOURSELF succede with this band.

I have to confess, I have the "new band" whatever that is and I have cheated. I was banded 8/23 and have had a terrible appetite. I have had no problem with vomiting, or actually anything, axcept soreness, I have to cook for a big family and I have tried a few bites of things and now the guilt is killing me. Have I messed up everything?

Whether or not you may have created a problem for the band is something that only time will tell. Many people have a hard time sticking to the strict post-op diet, but it is really important that you do. I wrote this post about it a lomng time ago, after I realized the danger of not sticking to the post-op diet.

"How Important Is The Post-Op Diet?" It is critical. Most doctors prescribe a post-op diet of weeks of clear fluids, followed by weeks of full fluids followed by weeks of mushy food. My doctor said 2 weeks clear Fluid, 2 weeks full fluids and 2 weeks of mushy food.

The time following the operation is for your stomach to heal. The Lap-Band needs to form a groove on your stomach. That groove makes the Lap-Band resistant to slipping. Eating food during the post-op period before you are supposed to be eating food could cause the Lap-Band to slip, or increase the risk of a future slippage.

Food causes the stomach muscle to "Work" to digest the food. The "Work" could cause the band to not seat properly on the stomach.

Weight loss is NOT to be expected during the recovery time after the operation. If you lose weight, wonderful, but don't expect it. The time between the operation and getting an EFFECTIVE fill that causes restriction is called "Bandster Hell" for a good reason. Without an EFFECTIVE fill, our hunger is just as strong, but the band does not work to help us.

Getting an EFFECTIVE fill sometimes takes multiple fills, it is not unusual for it to take 3-5 or even MORE fills to obtain restriction.

Because the band has to seat into the groove to hold its position, and every time the band is filled the fill adds extra pressure on the band, most doctors choose to let time pass between fills. Most doctors will not fill a band before 4 weeks after the operation, 6 weeks is common and 8-12 weeks of healing time is not unheard of.

I had it booked quite awhile ahead of time. Maybe he was just full, I know he does alot of other surgeries too. How are you doing? Have you gone to your first app. yet? I was wondering what happens on the first app. Do you get a fill? Good Luck to you. It is exciting thinking of actually losing weight.

I have really know idea, the Dr. said this was suppose to be better, actually maybe it is, I have had no problems, vomiting, or anything and he said it is suppose to be a little easier to lose. I am sorry, I was so anxious they could have put my husbands belt around me and I would have said okay! I really didn't get details. Good luck I am sure they are all using what is called the "new band" whatever that is by now.

HI

I went for my first appointment today, Doctor Cahn was great he checks your incisions and gives you a packet with more info and a small book to track what you eat a week before your appointments starting on the 3rd one. you wont get a fill until your 2nd appointment they told me. the 'new band' is the AP band and it is the one with the balloons completely around the band including the buckle. my husband had his surgery yesterday and so I asked about thursdays and they said it is his st lukes day mondays are his st als day and that is why we were told mondays only because we said st als at is closer to our home. I forgot he was doing them at st lukes now too. hope you are doing good I am down 11 pounds since surgery. and feeling great

good luck

Hi, I had my lap band done Aug 21, 07. I have not had a fill yet. Anyone want to talk. I have so wanted to ask questions. ranchgirl

No, get back on the bandsters rules. Eat lean Protein first. Even if you can eat 1 cup of food eat your protein then your vegies first. I always start my day with a Protein Shake as well. One thing for sure, if you are really hungry you need a fill. My doctor does fills at 6 weeks. Good luck.

Yep--keep in mind you'll still have an appetite until you start getting the fills. And even then you'll feel hungry until you get it just right (the fill!).

I've had 2 fills. After the first one, I didn't notice any change. I didn't think the 2nd one did much until we went on a cruise a week and half later. All that glorius food and I was only able to eat a couple of bites at any given time. When it gets stuck, it gets stuck!!! My husband has gotten to know that look on my face now. If I don't pay attention to how I'm eating -- slow and chewing my food well -- then before I know it, something has gone down that wasn't completely chewed and it lets me know.

The week was quite a lesson in how to eat for me. I'm still eating slow and well now that we're home. Didn't take long for me to catch on!!!

You said you have the new band. what does that mean my mother in law is suposed to get the band, but she ask me if she should wait and get the new band not sure what it is?

When they talk about the new band I think they're referring to the LapBand AP (Advanced Performance). You can read about it at Bariatric Times » Article Archive » The LAP-BAND AP™ System: The Platform Advances. From my research it is being used more and more, but by no means has it been universally adopted yet.

Wendell - I was banded on Sept 11 - 4 days ago and am feeling very weak. Dr. has me on the Clear Liquids only and I feel hungry all the time and shaky. I thought it was the pain meds and cut back on them but I'm still dizzy. I got him to agree to clear fat free broth yesterday and that does help a bit. But I forgot to find out how often I can drink the broth. Did you have difficulty during those first two weeks of liquids only? What liquids did you drink?

callmejim. I don't know what the New band is. I will check with my doctors office and find out. I just know when they were planning my surgery they said I would be getting the new band. I do know that the bladder for the saline goes all the way around as opposed to the old one that would fill on two sides.. If that helps. good luck ranchgirl