Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone...

Am 3weeks post opp(stage 2) and my biggest challenges are refrain myself from solid food. Am at point where am dreaming about food. Sometimes I slip and end up eating small portion of rice or chicken and my weight is already fluctuating weight. Any tips ????

Sent from my SM-G925F using the BariatricPal App

Edited by mariam_30

Remind yourself how dangerous it is to eat solid foods at this stage. You have a line of staples holding what's left of your stomach together. Small pieces of food can get caught in your staples causing major complications- some life threatening. It really isn't worth it.

Edited by KristenLe

I'm not sure what your journey was before the operation, but you have to be patient during this process. I went through about two weeks of liquids pre-op, two weeks post, so I can make it another few weeks.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using the BariatricPal App

Ah, that makes sense. I had my spirit broken beforehand!! :) When can you start moving to solids? Week 5?

I'm right there with you, believe me. I'm looking forward to some scrambled eggs this weekend. I should probably make sure they're considered pureed first!

I'm right there with you, believe me. I'm looking forward to some scrambled eggs this weekend. I should probably make sure they're considered pureed first!

They are on my plan. Suggests to put them in blender after cooked and take it slow - many can't tolerate them. I'm ending day 3 pre-op diet of shakes only - it's rough but will all be worth it.

The thing you have to keep in mind throughout this whole process is that while you had the physical issue addressed, you haven't addressed the mental issues...and the two things go together, with obesity. The weight is a byproduct that ends up becoming part of the problem, but the vast majority of the issue is psychological. That's what got you to the point where surgery was needed.

So evaluate what you're feeling, in light of that decision. Right now, you aren't feeling hunger. Your body isn't aching for food, your stomach right now, frankly, doesn't care if you put NOTHING in it. What you're going through is 100% psychological in nature. You are mourning food, mourning your old lifestyle, and your brain is desperate to hang onto the "old you." But you need to really dedicate yourself mentally to the idea that this change is good for you, it will be for the rest of your life, and better to get through this mourning period and find peace with it, than have your brain struggling against it for the months to come.

I just had the sleeve two weeks ago and for the first 6-8 days, I found I was preoccupied with food. What I wanted to eat, what I would be able to eat in X number of weeks, etc... Part of it was the mourning process, part of it was having had nothing but liquids for like 3-4 weeks. But I really did some self-analysis and realized that it was just my mind coming to the sad realization that everything it knew before September 23rd had been thrown out, and it was never coming back...and my mind may have wanted things to stay the same, but they couldn't.

It's a little like breaking up with someone. Sometimes, some part of you misses the familiarity and comfort of being with them, even if things were super unhealthy. But eventually, over time, all of that fades and you start to realize that it was very good that you broke up, and you're way better off now. That's what you gotta go through, with food.

So don't screw up on this. Follow your surgeon's instructions. Enjoy the little food that you do get to eat and make sure that you're eating stuff that you like...don't make it torture. But also don't break the rules. Re-train your stomach and re-train your brain, it's REALLY important...because it IS possible to screw this up and not lose weight, and after all that you've been through, is that really where you want to be in six months? A cautionary tale?

Edited by PorkChopExpress