Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not "hungry", but hungry..?

is anyone else having issues with "hunger". I am not legit "hungry", but the habit, the process, I miss. I am only 5 days out and each morning I crave a cup of coffee and a piece of toast. Dinners with my family, as I am sipping broth leave me longing to have some pot roast, or chili, or some of the other things they are enjoying. I am not going to try it- believe me I can barely get down my liquids. But so many of the support group people said "it will be so easy post op, because you won't even be hungry." My husband took me for a ride yesterday and stopped at McDonalds for himself. I am NOT a fast food person.. He asked "Is it wierd to NOT want any of this?" and I told him "oh, no. I want to grab that bag out of your hands and eat a fry or two!" and he was shocked.

I know I have to cope with my husband and daughter eating normally around me, but is anyone else just missing the idea of eating?

Edited by mrssoupmix

About day 7 or so, the head hunger hit me with a vengeance for a while. It sucks - I had to stop watching tv because it seemed like every single commercial was about food - all reminders of foods I shouldn't eat. I simply kept telling myself that I wasn't really hungry because honestly if I stopped and thought about how that food would feel in my sleeve - that was usually enough to make me go no thanks! But it also helps to find a distraction when the head hunger hits - for me it was knitting or coloring - something with my hands - or go for a short walk. It helps reset the brain. I still get the head hunger once in a while - the trick is figuring how to move your brain onto something else.

is anyone else having issues with "hunger". I am not legit "hungry", but the habit, the process, I miss. I am only 5 days out and each morning I crave a cup of coffee and a piece of toast. Dinners with my family, as I am sipping broth leave me longing to have some pot roast, or chili, or some of the other things they are enjoying. I am not going to try it- believe me I can barely get down my liquids. But so many of the support group people said "it will be so easy post op, because you won't even be hungry." My husband took me for a ride yesterday and stopped at McDonalds for himself. I am NOT a fast food person.. He asked "Is it wierd to NOT want any of this?" and I told him "oh, no. I want to grab that bag out of your hands and eat a fry or two!" and he was shocked.

I know I have to cope with my husband and daughter eating normally around me, but is anyone else just missing the idea of eating?

I totally understand where you are coming from. No I was not hungry either but like you said-- I somewhat mourned the act of eating like a normal person . For me it did not last long. Came and went. I could barely get the food I was supposed to eat down let alone what they were eating. However my husband like yours did on a few occasions stop for fast food. I didn't want it though... I gorged on that crap all pre op and I was beyond sick of it but I felt bad for him and the kids eating it because I know its garbage. I asked him not to feed it to my kids and gave him alternative places to go for fast food like Panera bread, subway or boston market. He agreed and honored my request and we are all now eating healthier. My 12 year old daughter has lost almost 15 lbs since my surgery and its a testament to leading by example. She now see's that she can do it and we're hoping for and working toward a total of 50lbs lost by the end of the school year or at least by my surgiversary. I'm hoping to be able to take her on a trip to Celebrate our success!!!!

I don't think about fast food or miss it, unless it's right under my nose and the smell makes me hungry. No slips yet. I've asked my son not to do that anymore.

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

It's a habit more than anything. The answer? Develop new habits! Walk around the block, learn how to knit, do a sudoku puzzle, anything that will occupy your mind for about 15 minutes -- until the urge passes. For good measure, go gargle with Listerine. Nothing tastes good after that, for sure!

I totally understand where you are coming from. No I was not hungry either but like you said-- I somewhat mourned the act of eating like a normal person . For me it did not last long. Came and went. I could barely get the food I was supposed to eat down let alone what they were eating. However my husband like yours did on a few occasions stop for fast food. I didn't want it though... I gorged on that crap all pre op and I was beyond sick of it but I felt bad for him and the kids eating it because I know its garbage. I asked him not to feed it to my kids and gave him alternative places to go for fast food like Panera bread, subway or boston market. He agreed and honored my request and we are all now eating healthier. My 12 year old daughter has lost almost 15 lbs since my surgery and its a testament to leading by example. She now see's that she can do it and we're hoping for and working toward a total of 50lbs lost by the end of the school year or at least by my surgiversary. I'm hoping to be able to take her on a trip to Celebrate our success!!!!

This post made me very happy for your daughter!!

In retrospect, my biggest parenting regret is not modeling better eating behavior. My kids self regulate well and are at very healthy weights, but they still make plenty of bad choices. I struggle with this daily as I try to model and discuss food choices without making them feel bad about themselves.

My 19yo has been trying to make better choices, but he really knows little about nutrition - I feel very responsible for that. And he's now off at college trying to fend for himself.

My 12 yo has always been more health conscious, and is more knowledgeable about nutrition as a result. She tends to gravitate to fruits/veggies as Snacks, which is awesome. Overall she eats pretty healthy, but she does love sugar - lemonade, Cookies and ice cream mostly.

But good for you and your family. Those healthier alternatives still offer a lot of delicious options!

Candygyrl is right on! Thin does not equate to healthy so my goal is to get everyone in my home eating healthier by offering healthier choices. I was very overweight as a child and can honestly say it was the most traumatizing time of my life. Kids are especially cruel to little girls about their weight so leading a healthy lifestyle by example sends a very strong and positive message to our children, family members and friends. Way to go Candygyrl!!!!

Every time I sign onto this forum I am inspired by the tenacity and motivation of the members. Thank you for helping me to make better choices every day!!

@@Candygyrl - I am in exactly the same boat... I am 4 days post-op and my eyes and head are collaborating against my stomach. Obviously I wouldn't eat anything, but everything my husband eats is making me crazy. I'm trying to focus on using this time to develop effective coping strategies for head hunger but it's not fully working yet.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Forgive me if I repeat any of the other responses. I always check the threads off and on while I'm working. I had hunger but not really hunger up until day 16 or so. Swollen stomach, excess acid (the stomach makes excess acids due to having 75-80% removed) mimics hunger. Depending how fast you heal, that nagging hunger will finally subside. I don't have much of an appetite any more, and I struggle to begin eating anything for the day but it's a relief. There are supposed to be "waves" of this throughout the next few weeks/month as our bodies are adjusting to the major surgery. Just make sure you keep taking you antacid twice a day. Hope this helps!

I felt exactly like you did--especially while on the liquid phase after surgery. Totally normal head hunger. For me, it improved when I was able to add in some more foods, especially savory things like actual Soups (rather than just broth). For me, I think the hunger was a desire for taste and variety, as much as it was my brain not really understanding what the heck was going on and me struggling with the social aspect of eating.

One of the truly fascinating things about gastric sleeve and gastric bypass surgery is that both cause metabolic changes that affect hunger hormones. Researchers are still studying how this works. A few weeks in, I definitely noticed that I no longer felt hungry or--more accurately for me--obsessed with food like I used to. I certainly still have an appetite, but it is under control for the first time in my life.

BTW, I am 7.5 weeks out. Hope this helps! It gets easier.

This post made me very happy for your daughter!!

In retrospect, my biggest parenting regret is not modeling better eating behavior. My kids self regulate well and are at very healthy weights, but they still make plenty of bad choices. I struggle with this daily as I try to model and discuss food choices without making them feel bad about themselves.

My 19yo has been trying to make better choices, but he really knows little about nutrition - I feel very responsible for that. And he's now off at college trying to fend for himself.

My 12 yo has always been more health conscious, and is more knowledgeable about nutrition as a result. She tends to gravitate to fruits/veggies as Snacks, which is awesome. Overall she eats pretty healthy, but she does love sugar - lemonade, Cookies and ice cream mostly.

But good for you and your family. Those healthier alternatives still offer a lot of delicious options!

I have a 15 yr old son who is naturally health conscious- he lifts weights and plays football and basketball. He burns calories like kleenex in fire. My daughter she just likes the good stuff but doesnt want to burn it off. I feel very responsible for her weight but I decided to empower her to take action. Your kids are watching you even when you don't think they are... I could tell her what to do, scold her for not doing it but If I'm not doing it who am I to talk? The moment i took action for my own health she began to want to eat what I ate. She began eating off of small plates and so forth. As I learn more about how we fuel our bodies I pass it on to my kids because they will have to stand on their own one day.

Candygyrl is right on! Thin does not equate to healthy so my goal is to get everyone in my home eating healthier by offering healthier choices. I was very overweight as a child and can honestly say it was the most traumatizing time of my life. Kids are especially cruel to little girls about their weight so leading a healthy lifestyle by example sends a very strong and positive message to our children, family members and friends. Way to go Candygyrl!!!!

Every time I sign onto this forum I am inspired by the tenacity and motivation of the members. Thank you for helping me to make better choices every day!!

I too am inspired by many here every day... I am glad I could shine some light on you today--keep on truckin!!

@@Candygyrl - I am in exactly the same boat... I am 4 days post-op and my eyes and head are collaborating against my stomach. Obviously I wouldn't eat anything, but everything my husband eats is making me crazy. I'm trying to focus on using this time to develop effective coping strategies for head hunger but it's not fully working yet.

Isn't it crazy??? I tested the waters a few times but reality kicked in and it was not fun. Decided to stick with the program and eventually that voice in my head settled down. Once my hubby took notice of me and my daughter especially-- he was blown away. He wants in! (for now at least) Hopefully your hubby will follow suit. It sure makes life a little easier when everyones on board.

That's awesome with your daughter!

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

Yes, I'm 10 days out from my VSG and I'm dealing with this issue. I know it's just my mind struggling to "let go" of the old behaviors, and I have used food as a companion for so many things over the decades that my triggers seem innumerable. I see them a lot more clearly now than I did, pre-surgery. But that knowledge doesn't help, I still feel like I'm going through a "mourning" process with food. I imagine it doesn't really help that for two weeks before surgery and now 10 days after, I'm consuming nothing but liquids. I miss chewing, texture, varying flavors, and the feel of eating. And you know, the killer of the whole deal...that eating made me happy. That emotional component to eating is probably 90% of the reason I became obese, in the first place. It's too much to expect that I'm going to shake that in just a week or so, even though I don't feel hunger and my stomach wouldn't handle it anyway.

This is why I had the surgery. I needed physical enforcement, I needed it to simply not be possible to backslide, or retreat into well-worn and comfortable habits, and let food be my emotional friend again. I find myself overly occupied by what I will be able to eat after I graduate from pureed foods and peoples' experiences are all over the place with what they did and didn't tolerate. Some people can eat whatever they want (just small amounts) and other people say their new stomach enforces restrictions.

It's just weird to have hit the reset button, now. I've been restored basically to the point of infancy when it comes to eating, and have to re-learn everything about it. I'm scared about putting things in because I don't know how much it'll hold, and I don't want to injure anything. And I know that's going to continue for months to come, as I figure out what is okay, what's not, and how much is enough. I never had to worry about that, before...I could just keep on eating whatever was in front of me, most likely finishing all of it, and never give any thought to what my stomach was going through.

I'm with you though...the mental part of this is every bit as big of a deal as the physical. But you know, when I really get to the meat of it (no pun intended), this is probably the process a person SHOULD go through if they're actually making the necessary changes to lose weight WITHOUT surgery...but which they don't. I think that was always a major problem for me...the idea that it didn't have to be permanent, I could stop any time. That lack of 100% commitment is just a set-up for failure, which I did time and time again over the past 25 years or so. That's why I finally decided that the only way I could achieve this goal is if my body enforced it for me, and took some of the load off my mind. But my mind is definitely struggling at the moment!

Yup. Head hunger is a B.

I cried the first week when my husband ate an Egg McMuffin in front of me, lol. It goes away once you start eating more 'normal' food and feel human again.