Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Home from the hospital

Just got home form the hospital. Had surgery yesterday morning. Today I feel better. I'm having a little pain when I drink broth or Propel Water. The pain only last last a couple seconds. I'm assuming because my new tummy is swollen. I also had a hital hernia repair.

I get cold sometimes and than I get really hot. I feel my face burning at times.I'm very grateful everything went very well. Baby step to recooperate.

What did you guys do to figure out how much to drink. How long should it take us to drink 2oz of chicken broth?

Welcome home! I am on Day 2 post-op, so I understand how you are feeling right now. I am trying to have 4 oz of Fluid per hour. I just take it one sip at a time. Yesterday, I was only able to get 24 fl oz down, but today I should meet the goal of 32 fl oz.

In terms of broth, I just do small spoonfuls at a time. I just finished 1/2 cup in about 30 minutes or so.

I am having the same brief pain when I swallow, but it is better today than it was yesterday. Also, the pain pills are helping tremendously!

Thank you guys. As much prepared as I thought I was, I feel lost now. I have to get use to my new tummy. I think the transition from IV to liquids was hard for me. Trying to figure out what I can tolerate. :) I love this site

I quickly determined that I'm able to drink more than I was expecting. I'm happy for that, since there was no way i could have hit my goals on such small amounts.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using the BariatricPal App

Surgery date 9/28. Day 4 for me and I agree @@motherboard, I feel like I did a ton of research, but was ill prepared for the post surgical pain and dietary restriction. I am barely getting 24 oz down and nearly no Protein. I just keep plugging away. Going 7-8 hrs with pain meds now and getting around fine. Even folded a few batches of clothes today. Also had hernia repair so perhaps that is why my pain was SO MUCH more than what was mentioned in all my pre-op support groups. Today I started beef broth and am much happier...couldn't stomach anymore choc Protein.< /p>

Sent from my KFTBWI using the BariatricPal App

Everything is much better for me yesterday and today (Days 2 and 3 post-op). Yesterday, I was able to get down 40 oz of Fluid and 21 grams of Protein (mixed in 1.5 cups of beef stock). Today, I have gotten down 60 oz of Fluid and 21 grams of Protein (mixed in 1.75 cups of chicken stock). I occasionally get a little overzealous with my sips, but my new tummy reminds me not to do that. I hurt for a few seconds and then I'm fine.

I go back to the doctor on Tuesday morning for my first follow-up. I'm anxious to hear what they say about my progress. I am not going to weigh until then since that is what they asked me to do.

All in all, none of this has been as bad as I thought it was going to be. I really hope everything continues to look up!!

@@blizair09 How long were you in the hospital?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@Sherbear2, I was in the hospital overnight. I came out of surgery about 5:15pm on Wednesday, and I was in the car on the way home Thursday about 10:30am. My surgeon counts "Day 1" of post-op as the first day you wake up in your own bed, so that was Friday in my case.

I had my gastric bypass 9/28, got home late on the 29th. I've been able to get my protine in 60 g and 60 oz of liquid also. It's my only job for the next few weeks so i try to be good at it. I start early 6 am and finish late at 10pm. My pain is a little less each day, and to be honest I was expecting much worse. I hate the liquid pain meds I have , they taste so bad. I guess it's good not to like them !!! Getting some walking in everyday and will start working my arms with free hand weights tomorrow. Losing about 1 lb a day so far.

Sent from my SM-T520 using the BariatricPal App

My full liquid plan consists of creamed Soups with no chucks, broth, Protein shakes, low fat Dannon lite and fit yogurt, low fat cottage cheese. I don't really like the Protein Shakes

Thank you so much you have no idea. I'm so scared to eat anything I noticed that if it's room temperature I can tolerate the things better but it its cold I gag and my stomach hurts. Does this happen to anyone?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the BariatricPal App

For sure room temperature is way easier for me too. I've been taking a bite and waiting about 5 minutes to see how my tummy tolerates it. But there is definitely a lot of burping and feelings of uncomfortableness when I eat