Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NEED HELP! Smoking.... possible Chantix?

I did quit on Chantix. It helped tremdously. I started to get irritable and having strange dreams after 3 weeks so I stopped taking Chantix immediately. Bad choice as I found out later. Although I did stop smoking 9 years ago, I suffered from very bad depression for 2 years because I quit Chantix without weaning off. I would say it was barely worth it.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

So I'm confused, it helped tremendously but was barely worth it? I'm considering starting it so I'm looking for info.

The irritability and weird dreams are the common side effects of Chantix. And honestly I don't know why it would cause that person to become depressed for 2 years because of not weaning off it properly. There is no scientific evidence proving that is a side effect.

My husband used it, and was able to quit successfully. The irritability is temporary (and who doesn't get irritable when they quit smoking?) and so what about the vivid dreams? My husband used to wake me up to tell me about them because they were so freaking funny.

I quit on chantix also. Only side affect was the crazy dreams. I still tell my stories cuz they were so bazaar and we all get a good laugh. I also went off it early (didn't ween) nothing happened.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My PCP refuses to prescribe chantix- she says that the percentage of people with significant negative psychological outcomes (aggression, psychosis, mood swings, etc.) they were now finding, is as high as 10%. That was too high for her comfort zone of prescribing. Not everyone will have this happen of course, but this is why I opted for the Wellbutrin (same as zyban or buproprien.) I personally was not comfortable taking Chantix, but your dr should be able to go over the pros and cons of both with you.

I should add that Both can cause vivid dreams and other things too. I only had them within the first week or so.

I quit on chantix also. Only side affect was the crazy dreams. I still tell my stories cuz they were so bazaar and we all get a good laugh. I also went off it early (didn't ween) nothing happened.

I actually gave myself mild whiplash and couldn't swallow after launching myself off my bed. I woke up with the lights on (they were off when I fell asleep) frantically digging through my bedcovers for "poisonous spiders."

Thank goodness that only happened once!

I actually gave myself mild whiplash and couldn't swallow after launching myself off my bed. I woke up with the lights on (they were off when I fell asleep) frantically digging through my bedcovers for "poisonous spiders."

Thank goodness that only happened once!

Quit after 5 weeks on chantix. Best thing I ever did. Seven years ago. Will never ever smoke again. Changed my brain. Hate the smell of tobacco.

Zyban (bupropion) is another good choice. It has a few caveats as well- shouldn't use if you've ever had a history of seizures. In many places there are state ran smoking cessation programs that offer free nicotine Patches, gum, and counseling.

@@Heatgirl03 Zyban and Wellbuterin are both Bupropion and could be helpful. How long do you need to be nicotine free? Some plans require 6 months before they'll approve surgery. Most surgeons require at least 30 days (some even longer). I would definitely make an appointment with your PCP to get help with quitting. I don't think nicotine Patches or gum will be recommended - as they will still show up as nicotine in your system. Good luck!!! I am not a smoker but know how very difficult it is! Think of the goal!

My surgeon did not say how long I have to be nicotine free? I think I need to be negative when I have surgery. I'm hoping that my surgery will be some time in December. I have made an appointment for Monday to see my PCP! Thanks to all for your recommendations! I'm going to speak to my Dr to see what the best option is!

I said it was barely worth it because yes it helped me to quit smoking which without it would have been 100 times harder and I succeeded. But after it was said and done, two years of pretty severe depression was horrible.

And, depression is MOST def a side effect of Chantix. My physician diagnosed it from Chantix usage.

I was totally expecting the surgeon to say STOP SMOKING!!! When I asked him so, how long do I have to be nicotine free? He said it wasn't part of my insurance requirements for sleeve. He did say obviously it's better for you to quit, but if you at least cut back that would be great.

I recently went to see my PcP and had her prescribe the Patches for me (insurance covers them fully) I will be starting those tomorrow. Even though doc says it's okay to smoke... Do I really want any issues coming off that ventilator?

I was totally expecting the surgeon to say STOP SMOKING!!! When I asked him so, how long do I have to be nicotine free? He said it wasn't part of my insurance requirements for sleeve. He did say obviously it's better for you to quit, but if you at least cut back that would be great.

I recently went to see my PcP and had her prescribe the Patches for me (insurance covers them fully) I will be starting those tomorrow. Even though doc says it's okay to smoke... Do I really want any issues coming off that ventilator?

I quit a couple months before surgery using a vape and tapering off the nicotine slowly until I was at 0. Then I quit the vape. I figured I was having major surgery to improve my health, and continuing to smoke didn't seem to correlate with being healthy.

Smoking can cause significant issues post-op - I'm very surprised your surgeon didn't say you had to quit completely. I'm glad that you're not taking his advice. My surgeon had a patient that quit for surgery and started right back up post-op - she ended up ulcerating her stomach/pouch - requiring emergency surgery and a revision. Needless to say - they are even more strict about it. It also increases chance of blood clots - which is the number 1 cause of death following WLS.

I was certainly irritable on chantix when I took it... However I am easily irritated anyway so most people didn't notice lol.

All I remember about the dreams was that they were extremely bright and colorful but just that. Like going from an old black and white tv to a hd tv.

I remember chantix as being mostly a deterrent for me. Once I was on it - if I smoked a cigarette I got nauseous. Therefore I lost the desire to smoke because I didn't enjoy it anymore and hated that it made me feel sick.

A side note because I saw someone mentioned Wellbutrin. It just didn't work for me the way it was supposed to. I kept smoking right along side taking it like it was nothing. But I cleaned the f*ck out of my house. Seriously I cleaned so much that by the end of it I literally had empty closets in my tiny 1922 house. Best side effect ever. My sister calls it the Wellbutrin cleaning service

A side note because I saw someone mentioned Wellbutrin. It just didn't work for me the way it was supposed to. I kept smoking right along side taking it like it was nothing. But I cleaned the f*ck out of my house. Seriously I cleaned so much that by the end of it I literally had empty closets in my tiny 1922 house. Best side effect ever. My sister calls it the Wellbutrin cleaning service

Unfortunately - I did not get that side effect! :-)

Sorry, elements of this post were not showing up. I'll try back later