Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NEED HELP! Smoking.... possible Chantix?

I am having such a hard time quitting smoking!! Does anyone know how long it takes for nicotine to leave your system? I have bought an e cig, tried and failed! Does Chantix have nicotine if I get a Dr appointment and start taking that? I'm just so discouraged and my last dietitian appointment is in November, so I really have to quit ASAP! Of course once I start smoking, I hear that you eat constantly! Ugh..... Any suggestions, please help! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I smoked for 24 years. Two packs a day. Get chantix. It works. I didn't even really want to quit when I did and it still worked.

I can't even imagine how tough it is to have to deal with quitting smoking on top of surgery prep - but both are worth it in the long run.

Good luck - you can do this!

I recommend Wellbutrin over chantix. It's a mild anti depressant that also helps with overeating and cravings. None of these medications contain nicotine, but Wellbutrin honestly worked wonders for me. I gave myself two weeks, and after the two I had to TRY and quit. I ended up quitting within one week of starting. You still get cravings but they are nothing like without medication. It also makes smoking far less pleasurable.

Whatever you choose, I know you can do it! This is a huge step toward a a healthy lifestyle. You've got this!!!!!!!!

Since you have some time, Chantix might be a good choice for you, it takes about 9-12 weeks on average to quit smoking using Chantix. It doesn't contain nicotine but it acts as a partial nicotine receptor agonist which means that it tricks your body into thinking that it is getting some nicotine. I think that the company that produces chantix provides supplemental smoking cessation support. I used to do smoking cessation counseling. My only caution with Chantix is that it can sometimes produce some interesting psychiatric side effects.

I totally get it. I work a very high stress job with a lot of other smokers. It almost feels like giving up part of your identity at first, but I've come to realize that it's the addict in me that whispers the negativity. I love being a non-smoker. Just remember that it does get better- there will come a time where you hardly think about them at all for days, weeks, months, etc.

BTW- I was on 150mg twice a day (morning and afternoon.)

Zyban (bupropion) is another good choice. It has a few caveats as well- shouldn't use if you've ever had a history of seizures. In many places there are state ran smoking cessation programs that offer free nicotine Patches, gum, and counseling.

I read online it can take up to 20 days for nicotine and continine (what nicotine metabolizes into) to fully leave your system. Be wary of e cigs, they can contain nicotine too. Today, the nurse told me to wait 2 weeks to have my blood tests done so that the nicotine would be out of my system.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the BariatricPal App

@@Heatgirl03

Have you tried nicotine Patches? Nicorette gum?

I used to smoke, I also used to quit many times, but could not stay stopped.

Finally last year my thyroid disease made me quit cold turkey, as even one puff was choking me, and I was losing my voice, as I had a lump in my throat.

The reason I am mentioning nicotine Patches is that they could help till the medication takes effect.

So, you still have offices where people smoke?

Smoking was banned indoors, here in Australia, many years ago.

Anyway, good luck with everything!

Thank you for all of your suggestions! I have not tried the nicotine Patches as of yet. I'm going to go to my primary doctor this week and see what she suggests. My manager smokes about a pack a day (outside) and she is constantly asking me to go out with her! I have NO support at all at work!!!

Oh you poor girl! It is tough when everyone smokes around you.

I hope you get a good solution from your doctor tomorrow.

I remember how in the 1990s I was in LA, sitting in an out-door cafe, having a smoke and how I was treated like a lepper, and looked down and criticised .....

Then I went to New York, and there smoking was OK .....

Anyway, I don't miss smoking at all now.

Best wishes for you @@Heatgirl03

I did quit on Chantix. It helped tremdously. I started to get irritable and having strange dreams after 3 weeks so I stopped taking Chantix immediately. Bad choice as I found out later. Although I did stop smoking 9 years ago, I suffered from very bad depression for 2 years because I quit Chantix without weaning off. I would say it was barely worth it.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I work for an oxygen company. When my niece started smoking at the lovely age of 16 I took her over a cannula (oxygen nose piece) and a retired steel cylinder. I told her that she needed to wear it everywhere around the house . I also found an out of warranty oxygen concentrator that I removed the filter from so it rattled like mad and let it run 24-7 in her bedroom. I told her that if she still wanted to smoke then I'd never say another word other than "thanks for being my future paycheck". Unfortunately for her I had identity theft and was living in a travel trailer on my sisters property so as soon as I got home from work I made sure that she was wearing her "oxygen". She hated me that week but she's never smoked since.

Since you have some time, Chantix might be a good choice for you, it takes about 9-12 weeks on average to quit smoking using Chantix. It doesn't contain nicotine but it acts as a partial nicotine receptor agonist which means that it tricks your body into thinking that it is getting some nicotine. I think that the company that produces chantix provides supplemental smoking cessation support. I used to do smoking cessation counseling. My only caution with Chantix is that it can sometimes produce some interesting psychiatric side effects.

Can you tell me a bit about your experience with Chantix? I actually have it sitting in my cabinet but I'm too scared to take it, the side effects list kinda put me off...

I did quit on Chantix. It helped tremdously. I started to get irritable and having strange dreams after 3 weeks so I stopped taking Chantix immediately. Bad choice as I found out later. Although I did stop smoking 9 years ago, I suffered from very bad depression for 2 years because I quit Chantix without weaning off. I would say it was barely worth it.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

So I'm confused, it helped tremendously but was barely worth it? I'm considering starting it so I'm looking for info.