Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When can I drink through a straw?

They bought my liquids to me in hospital with a straw from day one...

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I drank from a straw since the beginning. Never had an issue. It makes it easier to take sips. It's advised against due to the risk of taking in too much air causing increased gas pressure in the sleeve.

As far as guidelines. Just like us every surgeon is different, every NUT is different and that's why there is a variation of information about what you can and cannot do what you can and cannot eat etc. Guidelines are typically given as a general rule, principle, recommendation, instruction and or suggestion for best results or in this case to prevent adverse effects/outcomes as determined by evidence based practice.

Treat guidelines as such. If there is something that seems relatively reasonable, give it a try however let the guidelines serve as a signal for you to proceed with caution and evaluate your outcome. If it works out for you... Great. if not then don't do it again. Some people may not agree but that's ok, we all have our own path and must be accountable for the choices we make.

Bottom line, people should follow what their surgeon recommends.

Immediately post surgery, some doctors are concerned about drawing air and discomfort, mine wasn't, even my hospital served me Water with a straw right after the procedure.

Maybe studies using proper scientific methods and enough samples later on might show that drinking through a straw is bad for WLS procedures, but how someone could consume that much air by drinking normally through a straw and not have it exit in the form of a burp, is something a doctor will need to explain.

I personally don't use a straw unless I am on the road and purchase a diet fountain soda (DOH!!! I probably just opened another can of worms! Double Doh! Worms are probably not allowed until the solid food phase! :))

I've used a straw from day 1. My surgeon recommended straws to get all my fluids in. I actually find that I swallow more air if I don't use a straw... I've read that some doctors are very much against using them... Thankfully my doc wasn't one of them...

Personally, I'm beginning to think that "The Great Straw Debate" is just something for the old timers to nip and pik at each other about.

WTF are you talking about? Most "vets" agree it's a stupid rule. Let's not make something out of nothing. ;)

:) Since I'm more of a "Vet" than most, I was poking fun at myself. ;) (sorry if you didn't get the joke. You can always "ignore" me) ;)

I know we are "supposed" to say, "Follow your own plan--whatever YOUR bariatric team told you to do, then just do it."

There I said it.

Personally, I'm beginning to think that "The Great Straw Debate" is just something for the old timers to nip and pik at each other about. --Like sitting across a checker board discussing how Elvis' hip gyrations are ruining the younger generation's morality.

Be informed. Get your team's input. Follow your common sense.

When quoting a post, let's please not take it out of context. Here is my entire post. Thank you. Hope you all are having a wonderful, and joyful day. :)

Thanks all! I used a straw and no problems ensued. I was able to get in my liquids faster/better - but not too fast and with no pain. YAY all the way around.

Personally, I'm beginning to think that "The Great Straw Debate" is just something for the old timers to nip and pik at each other about.

WTF are you talking about? Most "vets" agree it's a stupid rule. Let's not make something out of nothing. ;)
:) Since I'm more of a "Vet" than most, I was poking fun at myself. ;) (sorry if you didn't get the joke. You can always "ignore" me) ;)

Awwww.... You spend so much time creeping my profile (almost daily, in fact - I've got screen shots if anyone wants to see 'em), I figured you wanted me to talk to you. ;)

And nothing was taken "out of context". Try harder. :D

ahhhh, nay... ;)

I've used a straw from day one. I find it easier t get in my fluids.

Worms are probably not allowed until the solid food phase!

But if you hollow out a worm to use as a straw, it will no longer be solid food. We may be on the horns of a dilemma with this one.

Speaking of straws, the reason against them never made sense to me. As I so rarely drink things for which I'd need or want one (e.g., I take my margaritas straight up; haven't had a real, fountain ice cream soda since high school or college), I don't give a cat's asss. If, however, I were your basic straw-user, I wouldn't hesitate.

"When can I drink through a straw?"

When a camel can pass through the eye of a needle.

When you know how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Whenever the helll you please.

There are no answers to a koan.

Yeah, I know, I'm here all by myself.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

OK so my doctor told me not to use bending straws. The ridges aerate the liquid you are drinking. So I use straight straws LOL