Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

TheGh0st's Extended Tummy Tuck w/Lipo

Well, Diane, I think even my advice is going to be conflicting on this one, but I'll tell you where I came out on it.

First, I have a friend who slipped because she didn't get an unfill, had PS, had a lot of Fluid retention and wound up needing a new band on top of her new TT. So, that scared me. I will say though that (1) she was an early band patient (i.e. techniques have improved) and (2) she has EXTREME fluctuations with her monthly cycle, that indicate that she's more sensitive than most to retention issues.

So, I thought I'd probably get an unfill when I had my PS because I thought my doc would encourage me to, out of safety. I didn't want an unfill and I was scared of an unfill, having sat at the same fill level for over a year and knowing I was perfectly adjusted. As you know, once a fill is taken out, you never get back to exactly the same feeling. You can get close, but probably not exactly back, for better or for worse.

So, I went to my band doc thinking he'd advise an unfill for my PS and I was wrong! He actively discouraged it. He said it wasn't necessary, even though I have some fluctuation during my cycle (nothing severe, but I do have tight days) and that I could always have an unfill in the post-op days if I needed it. Given his advice and my own hesitation to mess with a good thing, I didn't have an unfill.

Post-op, I could always get down liquids and a TINY bit of solids, but my band was definitely tighter than norm -- even tighter than the tightest days of my cycle. There was a day or two where I toyed with an unfill, but after about a week, I could eat normally again, so I didn't ultimately get it.

Ironically, I got an unfill a month later because the results of my annual esophogram showed that my band wasn't emptying fast enough. In hindsight, now I'm not oh-so afraid of an unfill.

That said, I wouldn't do it differently if I had to do it over again, and I'm not planning an unfill for my scheduled PS in November (unless I'm at goal and still losing, which has nothing to do with PS, but with finding the right long term band fill for maintenance).

Confusing advice, but I hope it helps.

Julie - Thank you for your advice. I have set an appointment for an unfill but am still unsure if I will go through with it. I think I might but also in part because I have friends that have been trying to convince me for months that I might already be too tight right now. I have acid reflux something fierce if I eat or drink anything after 6 pm (and that is with me going to bed at nearly midnight most days!) I know the arguments for why being to tight can reduce your weight loss but I've been too scared to pay for an unfill just to find out I wasn't too tight then have to pay for a refill. On the other hand I'm sick and tired of sleeping practically in a seated position and want to be able to sleep while I recover with out waking up with vomit in my mouth.

Diane,

I was EXACTLY where you are. I had 9.5 cc's in a VG band and I thought I was perfectly adjusted -- maybe a LITTLE tight -- but fine. If I didn't eat after 6, I was fine, but if I did, I had to take a zantac and sleep on at least 2 pillows or I'd wake up uncomfortable. The thing is, I thought that was NORMAL.

Then my doc convinced me to get a SMALL unfill based solely on my esophagram (I hadn't confessed to the sleeping thing and I'd convinced myself it was fine because, after all, I was fine if I didn't eat late). He took out .5. Now I have almost no loss of restriction in terms of getting full and staying full, but as long as I don't go to bed within 45 mintues of eating (which wouldn't be good anyway), I can sleep like a baby, flat on my back with no pillow if I want to, with no issues.

i'm with your friends. Get a tiny unfill. Don't be scared of it -- it'll be good for you, particularly going into PS.

I know Tracy - I'm getting so excited and nervous at the same time. Not so much nervous about the pain as I am about the results as well as the mundane problems that an extended recovery time will occur. Such as household chores, taking care of son, getting back to work.

Diane: Reading your thread today made me crack open our newly shipped Medical SPD.............

We just recieved our new Insurance SPD's for our upcoming OPEN Enrolment Period (the boring legeleze book that no one ever reads) It's part of my job... so I just skimmed the OBESITY RELATED PROCEDURES section.............What I found made my day:

Also included are services, supplies or charges for the correction of complications arising from weight control procedures, such as procedures to reverse any restrictive or diversion ary procedures and such reconstructiove procedures as may be neccessitatied by the weight loss produced by these covered restrictrive or diversionary procedures. Examples of such reconstructive procedures include, but are not limited to, abdominal panniculectomy, and removal of excessive skin from arms, legs or other areas of the body!

THIS MEANS THAT I’m GETTING a TT and arms done after I LOSE THIS WEIGHT! Holy crap!!!!!

I guess I won't have to start gettracynewboobs.com any time soon! :)

I wonder if your doc takes BCBS????

We just switched to Humana in the last few weeks from BCBS. Both insurances had a written exclusion for weight loss surgeries or any complications arising from them. I might have pushed for the good old back pain & rash problems as the cause for a panni but the results of that surgery are not as optimal as with a full Tummy Tuck & Lipo. Plus the 3 different PS' I contacted all said they wouldn't take insurance for my stomach even if I could get insurance to approve it as they said the insurance companies negotiated rates weren't enough to even cover their overhead. (Hmmm...??) My Breasts will be covered by insurance when/if I get them done next year. The only thing holding me back on them is that the surgeon won't do them now and sacrificing all my vacation time for recovery from major surgery is not my family's idea of fun. Still this time next year you will probably find another thread showing the progress on that one.

PS - I never heard - did you make it to Malley's last week and I just didn't recognize you? A couple of us went out for lunch afterwards it was fun.

No I missed the bandwagon.... Here's hoping for October!

My next visit with the good Doctor is Sept 24th and unless I losen WAY up.. I won't be asking for another fill.........

Chances are with my big mouth, you wouldn't of missed me.. :)

There were a lot fewer people than usual. Only 3/4 full instead of overflowing. I think Jen & I talked more than the rest of the room combined. But it was still worth the trip.

I'm going to try for next month but as it is just 4 days after my PS it may be doubtfull I can make it.

Ghost, I am sooo happy for you. TT's are sooooo exciting to me now. Its kinda weird how what you think is interesting changes the thinner you get!!! Good luck!!!

Ghost

Great thread. Thanks for your candor. I just found it, but I'll be tunning in as you move forward and sending you all the good JUJU I can for a quick recovery!

Thanks Juli! Deanna! JUST 3 MORE WEEKS!!!

Just a quick rant today. My sister came down (the size one Bi$c#! - gotta luv her) to visit a week ago. She came in the room while I was on my internet checking some posts on LBT. I offered to show her my befores if she wanted. She physically flinched and responded vehemently she didn't want to see them. It was as if she was so offended that I would even ask her to look at them. At the time I just laughed it off, after all not everyone is into the same interests. Though I would have thought she would be a little interested seeing how she's had PS as well (albeit breast enlargement).

But the more I think about it the more annoyed I get. Even though I know not everyone is interested, and even though I am just as disgusted with how I look under the clothes, it bothers me that she would be so offended to see my photos. It's not like I'm actually nude. And I've seen her plenty of times in a bikini. Why does the excess skin make my photos unthinkable for her to look at the same time she wouldn't think twice to walk in front of me in her bikini?

Don't let your sister get to you. She probably doesn't get just how offensive that was. It took you a few days to gel into it too. Which doesn't make it less offensive, it just isn't the first thing you thought of...

She doesn't get it....that's all.

Hey-after recovery you can tell sis.....

"Nanna nanna.... boo boo.....stick your head in DOO DOO!!!!!" Diane looks better than you DO!

Just kiddin' :angel: , she may not want to see your pics due to jelousness, or other emotional/ :woot: unknown factors. She may think that she has always "not had the body issues" and now that is in jepardy. She has already had some plastics? Maybe she has more issues than you are aware of. Sounds like the fear of not looking better than those around her? :drama: I had a friend who had to always be the prettiest/thinnest/sexiest ect..... or was just beside herself. Good luck with "sis" :love: and even more luck with the upcoming surgeries. Thanks for the pics too!!!!!! We are all with ya' on this! :waytogo: