Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why did you choose bypass?

I elected to have RNY for the big weight loss and benefits. My surgeon agreed. I am 60 and had a BMI of 48 on a 5'2" frame. I am very pleased with my results. No adverse complications and eating has not been an issue. This is a very doable process but you need to mentally prepare for the choice you make. My main goal is to get fit and healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I chose RNY because I was over 300 pounds and have a lot of weight to lose . My DR was not sure he would be able to do it because of all the weight in my stomach so sleeve option was my back up, I had surgery 8/23/16 and was thrilled he did the RNY. He had said if he did sleeve, then two years later he would do the RNY and I just wanted to get on with it. I feel great 11 days out !

I chose the sleeve because I thought it would be easier and I would have less problems with dumping etc. I had GERD already but thought I would be one of the ones who got rid of the acid reflux. I loved my sleeve. I lost weight and never had any problems but I am now having such severe reflux and pain that I am in the process of getting approved for the RNY. Now i wish I had done the RNY from the very beginning. :-( :( :unsure:

I've got a friend who is 400+ pounds, and she's going for the sleeve. She's already got reflux, so I'm concerned for her.

I am close to 14 months post op RNY. I initially went into this dead set on the sleeve. I had just heard about it and had done a lot of research. I liked that my intestines wouldn't be rerouted and the unused portion of the stomach would be removed.

The approval process for my insurance was lengthy, and during that prolonged period though, I began to have second thoughts. I was offered the choice of either procedure so the end decision would be entirely my own. Some of the reasons I had for the change of heart was that I was 54 at the time. I'd lost and gained weight my entire life. I really believed that this was my last chance to "get it right." My metabolism was already slower than someone younger. I'd learned (although it's not true in every case) that with the sleeve you might lose weight slower than with RNY. I wanted the weight off as fast as possible. I wanted to take as much advantage of the coveted "golden period" of rapid weight loss as I could. Now I know there are many sleevers who lost their weight just as fast or faster, but in my personal case the RNY seemed a better fit.

I was coming across a lot of posts from people who had gotten the sleeve, but were later revised to the RNY due to GERD issues. That really scared me. If there was the slightest chance of needing a revision after the sleeve, I just wasn't willing to risk it. Again, there are a lot of sleevers who never encountered this issue.

I liked the idea of the "possibility" of dumping as a fail safe to help keep me on the straight and narrow. I had a wicked sweet tooth. Of course there are many people who have never dumped after RNY, myself included, but I still use the possibility of it happening as an extra incentive. It works very well for me.

I didn't know anyone who'd had the sleeve, but I knew two who'd had the RNY. One gained her weight back and the other didn't. Both had theirs years before me and it afforded me an up close and personal example of how much I would be personally responsible for my eventual success or failure. As much as it's "said" that WLS is only a tool, it's still hard to imagine yourself as a post op when you're a pre op. Watching them gave me that personal access. One kept to a healthy lifestyle and exercised. The other went back, almost immediately, to her bad habits. The former kept her weight off and the latter didn't.

Which brings me to my final tilt from sleeve to RNY. Initially the idea of being able to eat anything I wanted only in smaller portions, was a big draw. But in the end I knew myself too well. I was a junk food addict, and even in smaller portions, a bad thing is still a bad thing. I chose to make a complete break from those bad choices, and felt that the RNY was the only way I could achieve it. There just wasn't enough research on the sleeve yet to satisfy me either. And let me stress again, that this decision was made for me only, my circumstances and my lifestyle. It is not meant to sully the sleeve in any way.

Regrets - not a single one! I'm nearly 14 months out, and reached my goal of 130 back in April. I've never been happier or fitter in my life, and have been maintaining easily. I still track my weight and exercise daily, forever reminding myself that I could easily gain it back if I start to slack. It's a powerful motivator. I did completely rid myself of bad habits. Since surgery I no longer drink soda, or eat fast food. Aside from the occasional Protein drink, I only drink Water. I don't eat bread, rice, Pasta, and red meat. I don't add salt to anything. My cravings are pretty much non existent. I'm 55 and feel like I'm in my 20's! I would do this again in a New York minute! Best decision I ever made! Best of luck to you on your journey, wherever it takes you.

I am 3 months out for RNY. I have lost 58 pounds. I chose it because it has been around since the sixties. I know some people have to convert to the RNY after the sleeve. I didn't want to have to go through two surgeries. I could not be more pleased with the results. I say if you can get through the first couple weeks you are golden.

I chose the sleeve because I thought it would be easier and I would have less problems with dumping etc. I had GERD already but thought I would be one of the ones who got rid of the acid reflux. I loved my sleeve. I lost weight and never had any problems but I am now having such severe reflux and pain that I am in the process of getting approved for the RNY. Now i wish I had done the RNY from the very beginning. :-( :(:unsure:

Your story sounds like what my surgeon just told me during my consult. He,said about 1/3 of sleeve patients will experience hearburn after the procedure, but he said he is seeing many people 4/5 yearsafter the sleeve having horrendous reflux and doing revisions to rny. Not sure how long your out, best of luck to u.

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

I wanted sleeve, but my surgeon recommended gastric bypass as I had uncontrolled diabetes for decades. He said gastric bypass worked better than sleeve to get rid of diabetes. 2. The surgery worked!!! I've been off diabetes meds and insulin since mid-April and my blood sugar is normal now! My energy has returned and it's easier to walk the recommended 10,000 step a day!

I originally wanted to lose 100lbs and asked my surgeon about the sleeve. He stated that due to me being type 2 diabetic, having sleep apnea, that he felt the RNY bypass would be a much better option for me. He said it is considered to be the gold standard and that he has done thousands of these successfully. So I am trusting him for this.

Honestly, the only reason I really considered the sleeve was due to my use of NSAIDs. I was a chronic daily user (800mg, 3 times a day) that needs to have both knees replaced and one hip replaced. I'm happy to report that I have not used an NSAID in over 5 months and am functioning fine. In fact, while I still experience pain, I have less pain now without NSAIDs than I had before with NSAIDs.

msujester - I have really painful, arthritic knees and neck too and worry about not taking NSAIDS for the pain after RNY surgery. What did you take for pain in the first months after surgery?

@@Airstream88

For my knees, I really no longer take any pain medication. They are completely shot and need to be replaced, but the pain is tolerable with the weight loss. Honestly, I have less pain now, without NSAIDS, than I did before while using them. Eventually, I will bite the bullet and have them replaced, but for now the pain is manageable, so it's in my best interest to delay.

My hip is a completely different story. The weight loss has not helped in any way, and the pain is agonizing. It is managed through regular cortisone injections which keep me sane. As those start to wear off, I use Tylenol to control the pain (mostly at night so I can sleep). It is only marginally effective. I am working on scheduling a hip replacement (actually a Birmingham Hip Resurfacing) for this coming January. Can't wait! And I am very optimistic that the surgery and recovery will be MUCH easier with 155 less pounds on my body!

I have an arthritic hip as well and was really worried about the no-NSAID issue, but with my 200 lb weight loss it is *much* better. I get regular cortisone shots, and that seems to do the trick. Pre-surgery, even the cortisone shots often weren't enough - I was taking ibuprofen and Aleve *a lot*.

Thanks for your response. What were you allowed to take right after surgery to alleviate the pain until the weight came off?