Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why did you choose bypass?

@@Airstream88

I also took liquid hydrocodone (norco/vicodin) after. I believe the name of the liquid form is Hycet.

I recently had a severe reaction to a cortisone shot that caused me some major pain for about 24-48 hours, and was prescribed norco for that as well (pill form this time as I'm almost 6 months out and can take pills fine).

Obviously, narcotics are never a great long term solution, but they are well tolerated by bariatric patients for short term pain control (barring any other health issues of course).

In Canada where I live we are not given the choice the doctors once in decide what's best. The will do the bypass over the sleeve due to the fact that for if in the future it becomes medically necessary they are able to reattach the stomach. That is the reasoning in all my meetings I have had. I have yet to receive my date for surgery but I have done 2 preliminary meetings and I go again on the 18th of this month and if my Iron levels are where they need to be I will get an appointment with the anesthesiologist in prep for surgery. Excited and terrified all in one.

Hey! Im from Toronto, I'm a little confused, I went to my family doctor recently to talk about gastric sleeve. She agreed that she liked the research i had put in to it and refereed me to the Ontario Baratric network. After some ups and downs i finally got an orientation date Nov 30th. I got my info package in the mail today and it says "thank you for contacting us about gastric bypass sugrey" Someone else on this website said they just dont do sleeves in Toronto. Now i really much rather not have to pay for sleeve operation, but all my research has been there. for some reason bypass scares me even more then a sleeve.

Kinda sad and confused..

I had the sleeve on 1/26/2012. I did lose 90 lbs. within the first year. I had absolutely NO dumping and no reflux. I figured out really quick that I could eat all the same foods as before but only less. I convinced myself that now I was "normal" and could eat what I wanted because of my restricted stomach size. WRONG!! I started regaining a couple of years out and all the weight came back quickly. I have no restriction and can eat a full size plate with no problem.

I am now scheduled for a sleeve to bypass revision at the end of October. Everybody has to do what is best for them, but I have since learned after the sleeve that there are quite a few others that are also gaining back after about year two. I am beyond blessed that I get a second "second chance" with bypass. I will not mess it up this time! Stay afraid of the foods that caused the gain in the first place!!

I chose the sleeve. I'm bipolar and the sleeve makes it easier to absorb the meds I take because I have my normal digestive tract and I want to take antiinflammatories for my arthritis. I know the failure rate is higher, but I'm strong, I can do this. My hubby has diabetes, so he's had the bypass. The weight comes off faster for him, but I'm still loosing, just at a slower pace.

Sent from my XT1650 using the BariatricPal App

In my case I chose Sleeve Surgery BUT because I have "Chronic-GERD" (is how the surgeon described it) he said there's no way I'll be able to tolerate, Sleeve Surgery will only make it worse,so Gastric Bypass it is for me!!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I've got really bad acid reflux, too. No reason to exacerbate it with the Sleeve, right?

I chose the sleeve (still pre-op) because I was worried about malabsorbtion. I have seen some really bad examples, like near total hairloss.

I also already have dumping syndrome (thou not exactly the same) as a result of my gallbladder removal 10 years ago. I didnt want to "double down" for fears that i migh just need to move into the bathroom.

I dont have a huge issue with acid reflux, just a mild hetial hernia that the surgeon is going to fix while i am under.

My great aunt has a RNY (granted a long time ago) and she has had horrible issues for many years. She is a nurse and still highly recommends WLS, but i am still kinda freaked out.

I am a diabetic, but it is generally well controlled and even when i wasnt taken my metformin my a1c was low 6 or better.

I also have a high threshold/tolerence for pain meds. Example, taking 3200mg of motrin vs average person taking 800mg for same amount of pain management. I have carpal tunnel in both wrists, tendonitis (for 2 years) in both elbows and arthritis in both knees, so having the abiltity to take nsaids is important.

Edited by QueenOfTheTamazons

I wanted sleeve, but my surgeon recommended bypass as I had diabetes for years and bypass could get rid of it. I'm happy with the choice! I am nearly 5 months out from the surgery date and have lost 55 lbs so far. There have been no complications so far.

On 9/23/2016 at 2:04 PM, Bypassjourney said:

I had the sleeve on 1/26/2012. I did lose 90 lbs. within the first year. I had absolutely NO dumping and no reflux. I figured out really quick that I could eat all the same foods as before but only less. I convinced myself that now I was "normal" and could eat what I wanted because of my restricted stomach size. WRONG!! I started regaining a couple of years out and all the weight came back quickly. I have no restriction and can eat a full size plate with no problem.

I am now scheduled for a sleeve to bypass revision at the end of October. Everybody has to do what is best for them, but I have since learned after the sleeve that there are quite a few others that are also gaining back after about year two. I am beyond blessed that I get a second "second chance" with bypass. I will not mess it up this time! Stay afraid of the foods that caused the gain in the first place!!

You are my sleeve twin! I had the same experience; lost about 90lbs, gained it all back plus GERD. Just met with a surgeon for a revision. I had an upper GI done a few weeks ago so my surgeon wants to see the film before confirming which surgery to do. I have Aetna POS and I am praying they approve the revision.