Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone with a low BMI (30-33) had sleeve surgery or will be?

Hi

I too have low BMI (32) but do not have any of comorbidities mentioned. I have rheumatoid arthritis and extra weight makes it hard some days to move around. I hoping with VSG and loss of 60 lbs, the strain of extra weight on bones will help. I am 5'7" at 207 still researching drs and hoping for November date. No nastiness given and hopefully not received, I wish you the best on your new success and I am looking forward to mine. Keep me posted on your progress, also who is everyone using for procedure?

Sent from my SM-N900P using the BariatricPal App

HI I just had surgery with Dr Illan in tiajuana with your exact measurements I had an excellent experience and I go home tomorrow.

I don't think @@Pinkberry2 was trying to be mean or rude... i wasnt replying in a harsh tone.

But i thought i would explain my side of the story, because it is never as simple as just "trying" for some.

And to be honest, when i had my band removed the surgeon asked if i wanted to be converted to the sleeve, i declined as i thought it was way to drastic for my size...

Fast forward 12 months.. something needed to be done.. i was gaining rapidly, my knees hurt, working out became harder, all the weight related aches and pains started to return, my insulin resistance was starting to come back... and a host of other issues... so i realised that i needed to do something now...

Before....

My elevated insulin turned into diabetes

My sore knees turned into arthritis

My normal blood pressure turned into high blood pressure

THIS is why i did it, as a preventative measure, the slim part is only a bonus (mind you, i am one of the lucky ones who was a size 14 at 200lbs, muscular frame)

My thinking was, well you service your car so it doesn't break down, why would you not service your body?

I am 5'3". 205lbs. I am self pay gastric sleeve. Aug 15th. I lost 96 pounds on my own 4 years ago. But since put back on 60. I don't see how it is any different for me and o lose 100 as a heavier person to lose 100? My husband is the only one that knows about surgery because I fear others think it's the easy way out too. Why can't I just eat less and go to the gym. Many other regular weight people eat like I do and don't go tongue gym. But also don't gain weight. Everyone is different.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I told many people...I dare them to mouth off at me! Lol I'm a lot bigger than most and in this pre op liquid diet kinda cranky!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the BariatricPal App

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using the BariatricPal App

Guys honestly this freaking stall is getting to me! Yes I've read the "Embrace The Stall" but when you're going through it, it's tough! I've been at 205 for 2 weeks! Aunt Flow is visiting this week & while I'd like to think that I'm holding on to extra weight due to her stay.. I can't say for sure that I'll see a change once she's gone. It's beginning to really get to me.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Great, I'm excited for you. Thank you so much, I'm looking to have it completed in November

Sent from my SM-N900P using the BariatricPal App

SD123,

Yes, I am really seeing results now. Early post op I didn't have too many issues. I woke up with a large drain on my left side, IV and had some pain, mainly at the drain site. Not everyone gets a drain, I had fair bit of oozing so had this drain. I had no nausea, was so glad to have something to drink finally. I was in the hospital for 3 days, and once at home I had all the stuff for the liquid phase. Sipping was bit uncomfortable initially, and I could feel liquid going down my oesophagus.

I had bit of nausea at times, took Zofran wafers, and had oxycodone for pain.

I found the liquid phase the toughest one, as I felt really hungry. I was surprised re this hunger, but I was still quite raw post op, and had fair bit of reflux, even with the prescribed PPI.

I had a couple of nasty experiences, one was waking up at 3 am, choking on and coughing up acid, burning, foul acid.

I elevated my pillow, and this happened again few days later.

I was told to stop drinking Tomato juice, especially in the evenings.

I also told my surgeon, and asked to be put on Nexium 40mg.

Nexium really helped with reflux.

The second scary experience was I started feeling faint, cold and clammy with racing pulse while I was driving. Lucky it was a short drive. Once I got to my appointment, the nurse on duty recognised that I was dehydrated. She gave me Hydralyte to drink, and I was fine 15 minutes later.

I threw up few times, too dry scrambled egg and after a fatty beef mince.

I had a terrible reaction to chocolate, reflux from hell! Maybe just as well.

Other than the liquid phase, other stages of purees, soft and mushies, then more solid food were much better to cope with.

I had few stalls, and I learnt through this forum that stalls are normal, and that my body will keep adjusting itself at its own pace.

I still have burps and wind post op. Did not have it before op. It will subside or be gone one day, especially once I get off the PPI.

I am just plodding along, my appetite is gone, don't feel hungry till late afternoons and at times I have to force myself to eat.

If there is anything else you would like to know, I'll be happy to share it.

My health problems are good now, my sugar levels are normal, and my liver is perfect now.

My hair is thicker, and my face looks 10 years younger!

So, I am just very happy that I had this surgery :)

Thanks for sharing. I have burning in my throat at night. I am on pantaloc but noy sure if I should try something else. Will the reflux get better ? I am 4 weeks in.

Sent from my LG-D852 using the BariatricPal App

@@reducer623

I have had 3 stalls so far. One lasted 3 weeks, I think it was my first stall.

I decided not to weigh myself for a while, like for 10 days. Just put the scales away.

I was however still losing inches/centimetres from my body.

After that stall, the weight just started dropping off again.

My last stall lasted 10-14 days, and I realised I was indulging in frozen yoghurt every evening for about a week.

Soonest I stopped the frozen yoghurt, my weight started going down again.

Here is the post I made re Sugar: http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/374797-back-to-basics-and-weight-is-peeling-off/

God luck, hang in there, it will pass! :)

@@sha_sha_Lucas

Yes, it sounds like reflux. Mine was quite bad. I was on Rabeprazole and Pantoprazole initially, and they did not help me.

I heard that some other sleevers had the same problem, and it got much better for them once they started using Nexium "Esomeprazole"

Well, Nexium definitely got rid off all reflux issues for me.

My surgeon told me to stay on it for 12 months, instead of the usual 3 months post op.

I recently tried to take it every second evening, and couldn't do it as I felt reflux coming back.

Everyone is different, so can't really predict when it will get better, or when it will go away.

For me, prior to Nexium, I had bad bouts of reflux at every food phase change, as well.

I ate slowly, chewed like mad, followed all the instructions, and still got it.

I never suffered continuously from reflux before my op. Had it occasionally, but since my op, unfortunately it became a daily companion, till I started using Nexium 40mg.

Good luck to you. Talk with your surgeon and perhaps try a different script.

It looks like I am going to book my surgery today, for Septmeber 21st. Super scared and still wondering at times if I should really be doing it... but I know i'll be a lot happier - and healthier. Anyone gone to Tijuana to Dr.Cabrera or Dr. Guiterrez at Mexico Bariatric Center? Looking for any and all reviews!

Hi everyone,

New here but drinking in all the info I can. I have a low BMI (32). I was a chubby child and an overweight teen. My weight really ballooned in college where I hit my highest weight of 250lbs. I immediately lost 20lbs after graduating but hovered around 230-220 for the next 10 years. Then I was diagnosed with diabetes. Full blown not pre-anything...just boom get on crazy meds and oops btw you also have high cholesterol. I tried my best the first two years. Took my meds, kept my appointments with a crap ton of doctors every month, and half-heartedly tried not to eat sugar/carbs. Then I gave up and stopped trying for years. I finally felt so sick that I refocused on at least taking my meds. At this point, I found out I needed insulin. pills weren't enough anymore. A new doctor and a new understanding of how I was hurting myself got me on track. But I still could not lose weight. The insulin actually made me gain weight. At this point my doc suggested WLS. I said I'd check it out. Went to see a social worker to discuss the steps and during the session had an epiphany. My entire life I never really tried to lose weight. Never stuck with anything more than 2-3 weeks. Never consistently exercised. I decided to really try. My Boyfriend (now Husband) was wholly supportive. We started going to the gym together and I stuck to a low carb diet. After one year I reached my lowest adult weight ever. 179lbs! Then I took things too far and (because of skipping meals and no snacks) had a hypoglycemic seizure during a friends bday party. This scared me so much I completely backslid with the diet and exercising. I gained back 25lbs and am now at 205 lbs. My A1C1 went from 6.3 to 8.4 in a year. I was finally ready to listen to my doctor. The kicker was that even at 179 lbs I was still on the max doses of my diabetes meds as well as still on cholesterol meds. The only thing I'd gotten off of was the insulin. I needed to lose more and the battle to get down to 179lbs had exhausted me.

In March 2016 I had my consult with the Bariatric Surgeon and my decision was set. I'm 35 years old and want to have kids. At my current weight (heck, even at my lowest weight) that would not be possible with all the meds I had to take. I chose the sleeve and hopefully will lose enough to get off all the meds so in two years I can try to have a baby. Regardless I want to be healthy. As the years passed, I just kept getting worse and worse.

I'm now waiting on insurance approval. My insurance required 6 visits with a nutritionist which was 6 months of torturous waiting. Don't gain weight. But hey don't lose too much either or the insurance won't pay since your BMI is borderline. I am so ready to just get there already LOL.

I've actually been very open about my surgery. My boss knows as do some of my co-workers. Any idiotic comments of "but you're not THAT big" or "you're so pretty already" are answered with "well how about you tell that to the diabetes that is slowly killing me?!?!" Yeah...that shuts most people up and anyone else knows better than to keep speaking after I give them the look (my friends and husband call it my F-off Force Field LOL).

I'm looking forward to reading peoples experiences as well as sharing my own. I'm even contemplating chronicling my journey via youtube. No matter what, this is a very individual choice and it feels good to share with others who understand the struggle.

Edited by Songbyrd81

I have a BMI of 30 and am being sleeved in Jan 2018 ( possibly the date )

I would hope no one would get nasty

- I had pnumonia & sepsis and a heartattack in March brain surgery in May. Blood clot and chronic gastritis amoung another handful of things this year And am lucky to be here I have degenerative spinal disease and a family history of heart disease and stroke not to mention a number of other concerns including depression so anyone wants a go - bring it

That being said - I'm excited - I have been the chubby kid since I was a toddler and been fighting it since then I'm now 49 - after almost not being around anymore I want to be healthy I want to have as much quality time with the people I love as I can before I fall apart or drop dead and this is part of my journey to becoming healthy and happy for me and my family ❤️

Sooo I'm full of questions - how does pre op work and how well are u post op for starters ?

What is the hideously horrible phase

Is this something that someone else said? I read a lot on this thread and never saw that. Are you talking about after the surgery? Some people have it easy but many people struggle, I want the surgery but I know what I'm getting in to.

Hi @@kendra01,

Congrats on surviving these major health risks and challenges, and on looking ahead to surgery.

Some people don't experience a hideously horrible phase. But among those who do, you'll usually read -- at least in the weight loss phase (I'm early days, can't speak to struggles a year down the road) about:

- the pre-op diet, which varies by surgeon, and can be for example weeks of just liquids. Some people find this very very hard;

- the post-op liquid diet, which for most people means less hunger than the pre-op diet but some people really really want to CHEW, and don't like Protein shakes; or

- the very first few days after surgery. Some people experience regret during this period, some people are in more pain than they anticipated...etc. I would guess that since you have been through major surgery already you might not be as fazed by the immediate post-op recovery. Just one data point: I had a c-section several years ago, and -- of course everyone is different -- for me personally, having the memory of that recovery made my WLS recovery much less stressful. For me, this surgery was less painful abdominally, had a much quicker physical recovery, and of course was not accompanied by a post-partum hormone crash. So while I have had struggles and frustrations over the past month, I didn't go through a period of regret or of real horror at the physical agony of it all. Again, everyone's different and I just wanted to share my experience.

So...you could have a hideously horrible phase before or after surgery, or you might not have one at all.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

@@sha_sha_Lucas

Yes, it sounds like reflux. Mine was quite bad. I was on Rabeprazole and Pantoprazole initially, and they did not help me.

I heard that some other sleevers had the same problem, and it got much better for them once they started using Nexium "Esomeprazole"

Well, Nexium definitely got rid off all reflux issues for me.

My surgeon told me to stay on it for 12 months, instead of the usual 3 months post op.

I recently tried to take it every second evening, and couldn't do it as I felt reflux coming back.

Everyone is different, so can't really predict when it will get better, or when it will go away.

For me, prior to Nexium, I had bad bouts of reflux at every food phase change, as well.

I ate slowly, chewed like mad, followed all the instructions, and still got it.

I never suffered continuously from reflux before my op. Had it occasionally, but since my op, unfortunately it became a daily companion, till I started using Nexium 40mg.

Good luck to you. Talk with your surgeon and perhaps try a different script.

Thanks for the advice.I am taking another medication and it is much easier now. I was also advised by the nurse to eat more frequently. Having said that I had a double chocolate muffin from Mc Donalds today. I feel bad but I just had to have it. I had half and in the morning and the other half in the afternoon. I kept under 800 calories but did not meet my Protein mark....help!

It looks like I am going to book my surgery today, for Septmeber 21st. Super scared and still wondering at times if I should really be doing it... but I know i'll be a lot happier - and healthier. Anyone gone to Tijuana to Dr.Cabrera or Dr. Guiterrez at Mexico Bariatric Center? Looking for any and all reviews!

@@sha_sha_Lucas

I am glad that different med is working for you! It is such a relief, isn't it? :)

Now, 6 months post op I am able to wean myself of Nexium now. Only take it every 4-5 days, and I am fine.

As to the choc muffin, well I fall of the wagon at times with ice-cream or frozen yoghurt. At least it only happens once a month or so, instead of daily in the past.

Providing we get back to the healthy food ASAP, the weight loss can stall for a while after indulging, but then it starts to fall off again.

@@sha_sha_Lucas

I am glad that different med is working for you! It is such a relief, isn't it? :)

Now, 6 months post op I am able to wean myself of Nexium now. Only take it every 4-5 days, and I am fine.

As to the choc muffin, well I fall of the wagon at times with ice-cream or frozen yoghurt. At least it only happens once a month or so, instead of daily in the past.

Providing we get back to the healthy food ASAP, the weight loss can stall for a while after indulging, but then it starts to fall off again.

Thanks Viva the battle of the bulges.. It continues ????????