Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone with a low BMI (30-33) had sleeve surgery or will be?

I hate to be that person but i just cant fathom why anyone with a low BMI would want to do this?? I was running track at 200 lbs. It just seems like it takes very little effort to lose when you not morbidly obese. It just seems like there are so many other options.

Not everyone that has a low BMI gets WLS because of the laziness of putting a "little effort"

I had wls at a BMI of 32, this was because i completely screwed up my metabolism from having the band.

I was a BMI of 23 and jumped to 32 in less than 12 months since having the band removed. Basically i can not eat above 800 calories without gaining.

My exercise and diet remained the same, i did NOT gain from lack of effort.

Please do not generalise without knowing peoples history or story, a blanket statement like that isn't useful to anyone.

And as you say, being 200lbs, you lose with very little effort, this may be the case for you, but you will find that weight loss is slower the lower BMI one is.

Better to do something about it sooner than later right? That's like us (low BMI'ers) saying "we don't understand how you can gain so much weight & take so long to do something about it". To be honest there's no reason for anyone to be 600pds... Sorry. Heavier people lose weight faster than we do actually that why there's drastic weight loss for them, the weight moves slower for low BMI's so we actually HAVE to work super hard. I don't understand why anyone on this site would be harsh toward anyone. We are all here because we made bad choices & want to be healthier. I don't see a purpose for dissension on a "support group".

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

600 lbs is a little excessive and i feel you were being mean spirited. Im not trying to be harsh im trying to understand. I understand if you have a health issue or rapid weight gain for no reason. But i do have an idea of the struggle because i have been that size most women in my family are that size and dont have trouble losing if and when they want to. I see that this is not the case for everyone and my apologies for generalizing. My concern is that surgery is becoming a go to option instead of a last option. But who am i?? This is just my opinion on an open forum you dont have to agree with me.

To be fair...I don't think @@Pinkberry2 was being harsh. She simply can't imagine going through WLS at a low BMI. We all have a right to our opinions. Rather than attacking back - help those who feel that way to understand better. Obviously, you are judging others as much (suggesting there's no reason anyone should be 600lbs). Different opinions don't equal dissension.

My response wasn't specifically aimed at @pinkberry she made one statement that was not rude or defensive. I was referring to several forums that I've read that are very negative towards low BMI's to be clear.

I hate to be that person but i just cant fathom why anyone with a low BMI would want to do this?? I was running track at 200 lbs. It just seems like it takes very little effort to lose when you not morbidly obese. It just seems like there are so many other options.

Not everyone that has a low BMI gets WLS because of the laziness of putting a "little effort"

I had wls at a BMI of 32, this was because i completely screwed up my metabolism from having the band.

I was a BMI of 23 and jumped to 32 in less than 12 months since having the band removed. Basically i can not eat above 800 calories without gaining.

My exercise and diet remained the same, i did NOT gain from lack of effort.

Please do not generalise without knowing peoples history or story, a blanket statement like that isn't useful to anyone.

And as you say, being 200lbs, you lose with very little effort, this may be the case for you, but you will find that weight loss is slower the lower BMI one is.

Better to do something about it sooner than later right? That's like us (low BMI'ers) saying "we don't understand how you can gain so much weight & take so long to do something about it". To be honest there's no reason for anyone to be 600pds... Sorry. Heavier people lose weight faster than we do actually that why there's drastic weight loss for them, the weight moves slower for low BMI's so we actually HAVE to work super hard. I don't understand why anyone on this site would be harsh toward anyone. We are all here because we made bad choices & want to be healthier. I don't see a purpose for dissension on a "support group".

600 lbs is a little excessive and i feel you were being mean spirited. Im not trying to be harsh im trying to understand. I understand if you have a health issue or rapid weight gain for no reason. But i do have an idea of the struggle because i have been that size most women in my family are that size and dont have trouble losing if and when they want to. I see that this is not the case for everyone and my apologies for generalizing. My concern is that surgery is becoming a go to option instead of a last option. But who am i?? This is just my opinion on an open forum you dont have to agree with me.
And also ive been "doing something about it" since i was 13 im 30 now. I exhausted EVERY other option before i ended up hear. Every diet known to man trainers, nutritionist, tons of time in the gym. so it took so long because i busted my ass first landed on my face too many times. And here we are.

<--- worked out religiously my entire life. Been on HCG diet, weight watchers, phentermine, nutrisystem, vegan, vegetarian, Atkins, south beach, orange theory, bikrim yoga, countless personal trainers....Have impulse control/binge eating issues that made me a very unhealthy yo-yo dieter.

The sleeve is going to add YEARS to my life. @@Pinkberry2 If it was sooooo easy to lose weight, dear track runner, what on earth are you doing on a bariatric forum?

Pot kettle black much?

#peopleinglasshousesshouldntthrowstones

Edited by LowBMISleever

@@Pinkberry2 I meant no offense to you. I apologize if it came off that way, I really do. I'm not mean at all. I was trying to quote the other person in respond to that said comment which I agree w/. I stand by what I said but I did not mean to offend you in anyway. I was speaking from a general standpoint.

<--- worked out religiously my entire life. Been on HCG diet, weight watchers, phentermine, nutrisystem, vegan, vegetarian, Atkins, south beach, orange theory, bikrim yoga, countless personal trainers....Have impulse control/binge eating issues that made me a very unhealthy yo-yo dieter.

The sleeve is going to add YEARS to my life. @@Pinkberry2 If it was sooooo easy to lose weight, dear track runner, what on earth are you doing on a bariatric forum?

Pot kettle black much?

#peopleinglasshousesshouldntthrowstones

To me losing is easy keeping it off is near impossible. Im here to voice my opinion and to understand all views. I hope to be a personal trainer one day and help others so i like to hear others opions. I dont mean to offend anyone i just honestly wasnt aware people considered this option at such low weights.

I would like to apologize if i offended anyone.i love to hear all sides of a debate thats how you learn and grow. We all have our own story to write and at the end of the day i want everyone to be happy and healthy ☺. We are really all in this together trying to accomplish the same goal.and we can all learn something from each other.

Sorry to be defensive, but I'm fresh from surgery and from defending myself against my friends and family naysayers. A little tired of hearing it. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but I think the bodily risk, extensive research, financial investment, lifetime commitment and exhaustive formerly failed diet methods that anyone puts into this surgery should really absolve them of negativity from others, MOST ESPECIALLY those who have had the surgery.

And to those defending other people's opinions on this, I say to you, these aren't opinions, they're judgements. Isn't everyone here sick of being judged for being too big? Or years post op, too small? How about we support each other instead of judge. That being said, when someone 3 weeks post-op wants to know if cheeze-its are a good idea, duhhhhh OF COURSE they AREN'T!!! But that's not judging or opinion, that's simply fact and good advice.

:::drops mike:::

Sorry to be defensive, but I'm fresh from surgery and from defending myself against my friends and family naysayers. A little tired of hearing it. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but I think the bodily risk, extensive research, financial investment, lifetime commitment and exhaustive formerly failed diet methods that anyone puts into this surgery should really absolve them of negativity from others, MOST ESPECIALLY those who have had the surgery.

And to those defending other people's opinions on this, I say to you, these aren't opinions, they're judgements. Isn't everyone here sick of being judged for being too big? Or years post op, too small? How about we support each other instead of judge. That being said, when someone 3 weeks post-op wants to know if cheeze-its are a good idea, duhhhhh OF COURSE they AREN'T!!! But that's not judging or opinion, that's simply fact and good advice.

Well - one definition of opinion is a "view or judgement of something, not necessarily based on fact." So I stand by my original statement and rather than attacking them for their opinion (judgement) - try and help them to understand the other side.

Opinion has a positive connotation; judgement has a negative connotation.

I'm not interested in arguing further on this. Cheers to everyone on this scary, but wonderful journey! Here's to everyone getting their Protein, fluids & Vitamins in and dropping pounds & pant's sizes!

@@SD123

Acid reflux and dehydration happens to few people, but not to everyone. I was one of those people who got bad acid reflux after my op. I never had GERD and I only had intermittent reflux once I got fat, but it didn't happen everyday.

Post surgery, initially I had lot of reflux, then at each food phase change, reflux appeared again, even though I was on Rabeprazole PPI. I found out through forums that Nexium helped many people, so I asked my surgeon for a script, and Nexium did wonders for me.

Dehydration can easily happen, as very early post op it is difficult to get enough Fluid in. You still sip it, and I didn't feel that thirsty, plus I was conscious of Fluid going down. It wasn't painful, but I felt it, and it gurgled all the way down.

I started adding bit of apple juice or tiny amount of lemonade to my Water, as post op it was difficult for me to drink Water, something to do with the pressure.

I also bought Hydralyte for emergencies.

Yes, the first 2 weeks post op, on liquids only were tough for me. I was hungry a lot, and felt unsatisfied. Hot broths helped and some watery Soups too. I was getting sick of Protein shakes, and was craving hot, savoury stuff.

Luckily, that phase went quickly for me.

Purees were much better, and I got quite creative with my NutriBullet :)

Soft/Mushy stage was great, finally was able to eat "real" food

I don't think @@Pinkberry2 was trying to be mean or rude... i wasnt replying in a harsh tone.

But i thought i would explain my side of the story, because it is never as simple as just "trying" for some.

And to be honest, when i had my band removed the surgeon asked if i wanted to be converted to the sleeve, i declined as i thought it was way to drastic for my size...

Fast forward 12 months.. something needed to be done.. i was gaining rapidly, my knees hurt, working out became harder, all the weight related aches and pains started to return, my insulin resistance was starting to come back... and a host of other issues... so i realised that i needed to do something now...

Before....

My elevated insulin turned into diabetes

My sore knees turned into arthritis

My normal blood pressure turned into high blood pressure

THIS is why i did it, as a preventative measure, the slim part is only a bonus (mind you, i am one of the lucky ones who was a size 14 at 200lbs, muscular frame)

My thinking was, well you service your car so it doesn't break down, why would you not service your body?

I would like to apologize if i offended anyone.i love to hear all sides of a debate thats how you learn and grow. We all have our own story to write and at the end of the day i want everyone to be happy and healthy ☺. We are really all in this together trying to accomplish the same goal.and we can all learn something from each other.

And people..

This is how a respectful adult handles conflict/misunderstanding a forum..... we can all learn from this!

Thank you for not taking offence to us disagreeing, much appreciated.. you i like!

I am 5'3". 205lbs. I am self pay gastric sleeve. Aug 15th. I lost 96 pounds on my own 4 years ago. But since put back on 60. I don't see how it is any different for me and o lose 100 as a heavier person to lose 100? My husband is the only one that knows about surgery because I fear others think it's the easy way out too. Why can't I just eat less and go to the gym. Many other regular weight people eat like I do and don't go tongue gym. But also don't gain weight. Everyone is different.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

No worries I totally get it! Im heavier and still get crap from my family! So i could only imagine if i were smaller omg lol