Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting ready for the surgery and looking for some thoughts on what to tell the kids. They are both under 5 and I don't want them to know too much, but I think they need to know why I don't feel good and why they can't jump on daddy's tummy.

Any thoughts?

How long did parents wait before lifting up their kids, especially babies?

I'm not a parent, however do have younger nephews. I told them I was getting a new tummy because mine was good, but I needed it to be smaller to help me get healthier. I also told them they might see me eat some weird liquids and food for a while. One of them had a timeframe to get in as many tickles in beforehand. As far as after, I said I might need their help for a while carrying things for me until I was all better. Kids love to help!

It was important for one of them to see me two or three days after. One week out and he already says I look smaller and likes that we can have popsicle breaks together.

Good luck with your surgery, being healthy and being a great Dad!

Under five?

I wouldn't "tell" them anything. Too much information would only frighten them.

I would "answer" any and all of their questions as they arise. I would answer those questions honestly and factually without getting into too much detail.

"Daddy doesn't feel too well right now". "No jumping monkeys on Daddy right now".

The doctors fixed Daddy's tummy, so Daddy will feel much better soon."

"Who wants a popsicle?"

I have a five year old and a two year old. The week before I started telling my son that I was going to have to stay overnight at the hospital and that my tummy would be sore when I came home. And oh, btw, NANA is coming to stay with you while I'm there!

My son has had a couple surgeries and hospitalizations, so I also reminded him that the doctors were going to help make me feel better and be healthier, just like they had with him. And that I would have some cool scars on my tummy like he has.

The kids don't know why I had surgery. They were happy to have the time with their Nana and had to be gently reminded to be careful of my tummy and that I could not pick them up. It was a good lesson in independence for me and the kids while I was healing.

My doc said no lifting over 20 lbs for 4 weeks. I started some lifting after about three. I just got cleared to lift today.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

This is an interesting question and I was fascinated by the answers.

My kids are 13 and 15, so the amount of information I can give them is much different. I was surprised by their responses. My youngest, who worries about me and gets very concerned if I'm sick or hurt, is very supportive of the surgery. My oldest, who rarely seems to care about anything but girls and sports, was very concerned and said that he thought surgery was too extreme. He's become more supportive over time, but his initial reaction was quite negative.

My niece had surgery in February. Her son was five at the time. They told him literally nothing. He stayed with his grandparents for a week while his Mom was recovering. When he came back, she told him she had an ouchy on her stomach and to be gentle when they cuddled. That seemed to work fine for him.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using the BariatricPal App

I'm not a parent, however do have younger nephews. I told them I was getting a new tummy because mine was good, but I needed it to be smaller to help me get healthier. I also told them they might see me eat some weird liquids and food for a while. One of them had a timeframe to get in as many tickles in beforehand. As far as after, I said I might need their help for a while carrying things for me until I was all better. Kids love to help!

It was important for one of them to see me two or three days after. One week out and he already says I look smaller and likes that we can have popsicle breaks together.

Good luck with your surgery, being healthy and being a great Dad!

Just want to say I love your post! If you have kids one day, you're going to be awesome at it :-)

Getting ready for the surgery and looking for some thoughts on what to tell the kids. They are both under 5 and I don't want them to know too much, but I think they need to know why I don't feel good and why they can't jump on daddy's tummy.

Any thoughts?

How long did parents wait before lifting up their kids, especially babies?

@@chicagorocks - they're so little - you can say that Daddy has a boo boo and a nice doctor is going to fix me up. I'll be in the hospital for 2 sleeps and then be home again. But Daddy won't be able to lift you up or hug you too hard until the boo boo is all better. Keep it simple and don't say anything to worry or frighten them - and you'll be golden!