Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am just beginning his journey. I had my initial visit July 27th. I have 3 months of weight loss visits to do for insurance. I am scheduled for all of my tests Aug 10th. I am hoping to have surgery sometime in November.

To be honest I am a bit nervous...

How long does insurance usually take to approve the surgery?

HW 250

CW 228

5ft 0in

BMI 44.5

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hi! Welcome! I too am just getting started. I have my orientation meeting on August 11th & I fill out the paperwork that night and start on the options classes they Kaiser (hopefully) in September. Options classes are three months but after that I know I would have to have a few tests done as well as a psych consult.

To answer your question, it seems as tho it really matters on what type of insurance you have and what their requirements are. Some insurance companies require a six month period between initial consult to surgery date.

I am excited to get started as I'm sure you are too.

beginning journey

@@MrsPrincessPunisher

welcome to the board :)

I have been waiting for you!!!

you are about to have major surgery!!!

your emotions will be over the place

i was nervous before i was sleeve :(

excited, scared, happy, thrilled, petrified etc

can't know for sure when your ins will reply

while you are waiting - don't go crazy!! LOL

hope you receive you DOS sooner than later

you are on your way to a healthier, happier, longer life

best of luck to you

kathy

Hi! I am also new to this journey. My consult was July 28 and my insurance is UHC and requires 3 month wait as well. My surgery will be end of October or November too

All insurance is different, but I hope you are pleasantly surprised with a fast approval. It's a very exciting journey, isn't it? Take the pre-op preparation time to make some changes if you haven't yet. Drink lots of Water and practice eating more slowly and chewing a lot. The time will pass pretty fast. Soak it all in; you are on your way to a new life!

Hi @@MrsPrincessPunisher! I had my initial visit on July 12... I'm also at the beginning and I have 3 months of insurance visits to do as well. I have Aetna. At the consult I had my first NUT visit, meet with my surgeon, and had my blood work done. I also went to have my chest X-ray completed. I have a follow up meeting with the NUT and surgeon on August 8th. Then the psych consult and endoscopy visit on August 19th.. I don't have a date but my surgical team is shooting for October.

I'm excited, scared and nervous all at the same time!!! I wish us both good luck on our journeys and look forward to sharing as we get through this!!

Hello, I am starting. I have Cigna and 3 months on a medically monitored diet too.

Question: who are you doing your 90 day diets through, your PCP or a Nutritionist?

I started my 90 day diet last week. And my PA at my Dr office gave me 2 sheets of paper. One said 'Diabetes Diet' and the 2nd one said 'Cholesterol Diet'. It is a list of things to avoid on each sheet.

I find this useless. And I am thinking maybe I should scrape up the extra $70 for the dietician instead. I feel he's setting me up for failure.

Sent from my SM-N900T using the BariatricPal App

Edited by RedCheeks

My insurance is Humana and they require either my OBGYN or my PCP to do the diet visits. My surgeon said that if the 90 day diet fails I will just have to do a 2 week liquid diet right before surgery. I have my tests and my psych eval all scheduled for next week.

I am ready to be healthy no matter what that takes! Let's all be healthy together.

Im choosing to do my 90 day diet is through my surgeons office. I just think it's easier to make sure the information all together that way

Well today was my final weight loss visit. Now I just have to wait on everything to be submitted to insurance and get an approval. Fingers Crossed!

Do you have Humana through work or individually? People are telling me different things about what they will cover. I talk with my primary Wednesday so I'm calling insurance tomorrow.

Mrs princess punisher?

Edited by debmersmom5

I have Humana through the military retirement and they only cover band or sleeve not bypass or balloon or switch

So far I've gone through all process and surgery is scheduled Jan 13 and I haven't had anything other than regular copay s