Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dizziness & Fatigue (Advice Needed)

Hey, I usually like to brush things under the carpet and wait (hopefully) for problems to fix themselves or go away.. But this is becoming a real issue for me.

I've found when I get up from being sat down for a period of time, I go dizzy and almost feel like I'm going to pass out.. It only lasts for ten seconds max and then goes away but I get a weird black out sensation. I've learnt that If I get up slowly, it doesn't occur AS strong but it still happens.. And if I forgot, it hits me hard.

Also, whenever I eat Protein, after finishing.. I feel tired, lethargic and have general lack of energy which almost always results in me having to lay down for ten to twenty minutes and I feel better again.. When I was on liquids and wasn't focusing on my protein intake with shakes etc, I didn't have the dizzy spells or fatigue, but for the past 4 weeks it's been like this every day.

I'm having about 600-800 calories per day, focusing on 60g of protein and drinking 1 litre of Water per day.

I contacted my clinic and I'm waiting on a call back from a nurse, but wondered if anybody else has experienced this, if it's common or any tips they can provide for me to make this a little easier.

I was sleeved on the 26th of May

Thank you <3

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

It sounds like a low blood pressure problem... you might be low in sodium or electrolytes.... try having some Gatorade/Powerade... see if that helps

Also, 1 litre a day is not enough... you should aim for 2

Edited by AussieGirl81

I would definitely increase your Water intake especially if you live in a hot climate. 1 liter is only 1/2 of recommended amount. Dehydration may be lowering your blood pressure. It could also be hypoglycemia - speak to your Dr - they may suggest adding some fruit or veggies to your Protein. Let us know what they say.

I had similar symptoms when I wasn't drinking enough Water. I did pass out one time and ambulance crew confirmed that I was dehydrated.

Now, I'm more diligent about drinking Water even if I have to force it down

Edited by Andrew0929

Nurse here - It sounds like you are experiencing orthostatic hypotension <- fancy way to say your blood pressure drops when you stand. You may be dehydrated. Really work on upping your Fluid intake and see if that feeling improves. 1L is not enough. 2L is my daily goal. I don't always hit it but i try to get at least 1.5L

As for feeling sleepy after eating, I am much more sensitive to those post surgery. Anytime I eat I get sleepy for a little while

Thank you everyone for your responses, I'm going to try each and everything you all mentioned, you're right I probably am dehydrated, I didn't drink a lot before surgery either, especially when dieting as lack of salt etc in my diet makes me feel like I don't need Water... I'm forcing in the 1L per day, but today I'm going to force myself to have 2! I can do this!!

I'm from the UK, we don't have Gatorade or Powerade, not where I am anyway (or I just haven't seen it in the store)

All I eat is a Protein shake for lunch, some Protein chips for a snack, and some home made protein dish containing chicken/pork/fish

I was a low bmi patient (35) weighed 260, last time I checked I was 216, I've never had any health problems, blood pressure problems etc everything prior to surgery was healthy, I really hope after surgery I suddenly have heaps of problems!

I'll be sure to let everybody know what the nurse says after the call - in case somebody else is suffering with a similar experience.. You guys are awesome, didn't expect so many replies thank you

Agree that it sounds like it may be orthostatic hypotension. This is a very common problem post-wls. Are you monitoring your blood pressure (if not, get a home blood pressure cuff and start). If you are on blood pressure meds, they may need to be adjusted or stopped.

Try to remember to pump your legs like you are riding a bicycle for about 30 seconds before standing up. This will get the blood flowing and for most people end the dizziness/fainting on sitting/standing up.

Ahh well i was thinking about what you consume... you might want to add good fats to your meals.... fats will help slow down the crash after eating.

How far out are you? Are you not having veggies? What you are eating does not sound like it is enough.. are you tracking your food? I am betting your macros are out of balance, and this is what is causing your fatigue...

Since you guys don't have Powerade, go to your pharmacy and ask for some electrolytes... they are usually sold in near the tummy stuff for when you have diarrhea.

Buffleheads - I'm actually going to try that technique I'll let you know if it helps later! The things we do hey? Haha

Aussiegirl - I'm exactly 8 weeks out as of today.. I don't track my food anymore because of the home cooked meals I make ( I make a massive pot of something then seperate it out into ten portions and freeze them) so I have a large selection of multiple home made dishes I can easily pick out every day.. Tracking my food would I have to list every single ingredient and nutrition information then divide it by number of portions? I do have my fitness pal but it just seems like a lot.

I'll go and pick up some electrolytes this weekend for sure, anything to get me back to pre surgery health!

Well i went through it myself when i had my band... i learned the hard way....

If you are not getting all your fluids and electrolytes it can happen.... also if you are on Protein only without fats it can also cause it.

The others are correct.. it is your blood pressure... but since you have no health issues... you can resolve it.

Tips

Increase your Water .. sip all day..

Increase good fats

Increase your Protein

Add a small amount of good carbs (carbs from veggies are best)

Have some electrolytes on hand for when you feel icky

Take your Vitamins

If you can manage trial that, i would assume your fatigue will reduce greatly.

@@jessjames myfitnesspal has a recipe builder, you only have to enter all your ingredients and pick your serving size once, then you save it as one of your foods and you can go back to it again and again without having to re-enter anything.

If you got your original recipe from the web, you can also just import the recipe by giving MFP the URL. You can adjust the serving sizes after you import it.

Hey, I usually like to brush things under the carpet and wait (hopefully) for problems to fix themselves or go away.. But this is becoming a real issue for me.

I've found when I get up from being sat down for a period of time, I go dizzy and almost feel like I'm going to pass out.. It only lasts for ten seconds max and then goes away but I get a weird black out sensation. I've learnt that If I get up slowly, it doesn't occur AS strong but it still happens.. And if I forgot, it hits me hard.

Also, whenever I eat Protein, after finishing.. I feel tired, lethargic and have general lack of energy which almost always results in me having to lay down for ten to twenty minutes and I feel better again.. When I was on liquids and wasn't focusing on my Protein intake with shakes etc, I didn't have the dizzy spells or fatigue, but for the past 4 weeks it's been like this every day.

I'm having about 600-800 calories per day, focusing on 60g of protein and drinking 1 litre of Water per day.

I contacted my clinic and I'm waiting on a call back from a nurse, but wondered if anybody else has experienced this, if it's common or any tips they can provide for me to make this a little easier.

I was sleeved on the 26th of May

Thank you <3

If I had to guess, you are dehydrated and not eating enough. Try upping your Water, protein and calories. All of those are low in my opinion. My Fluid goal is a minimum of 64 oz and my protein goal is 100 grams.

Have you had your blood pressure checked lately?

Thanks for the info about the recipe builder bufflehead, I had no idea.. I can be so blonde at times haha.

Surfer girl, I haven't had my blood pressure taken or even a physical with the nurse, they don't require one until 6 months... Strangely enough after my shower I looked in the mirror and I have a massive red bruise or something in the middle of my forehead it's quite big, somethings deffo wrong.

The nurse called me back and she wants me to go in tomorrow for a check up, and get my blood pressure looked at etc, I agree I probably haven't been drinking enough.. I'm aiming for 2 litres today and 3/4 of the way there.. I can do it, I just need to force myself really

Nutritionist said that if you get dizzy or lightheaded to sip one cup of broth (not low sodium)