Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A place for bandsters in their 60's

Hello Everyone. I had my first fill yesterday and I'm not sure what kind of a "feeling" I should have. I ate Breakfast this morning (oatmeal)...it was kind of chunky and I didn't chew real well and I'm not having any problems getting it down. However, I am a little hungry. I'll wait a couple of days and call the doc if I don't feel I have enough restriction. Anyone else out there who had to have more saline added after the first fill? I surely don't want too much added so that I can't get the food down. Since this is my first fill, I'm not quite sure what to expect. Thanks. Marilyn

I get my first fill Dec 11. I can hardly wait. I'm from WI, near Madison, just south of Wi Dells in Baraboo. Great place to live and visit. :) I've been divorced for 12 years. (he's an alcoholic) I live with my daughter, son-in-law, 2 gransons, 2 dogs (one is mine) 2 cats. I love living with them. I still work (RN) part time and am slowly trying to retire. I like my job but hate the long drive to work and hate getting up early. I had my surgery a month ago. Sharon

Marilyn,

A lot of people don't feel much restriction from their first fill. Just make sure you chew your food well.It's not fun to have food get stuck that won't go through the band after a fill.

Call your doctor to see if he will let you come back sooner. A lot of doctors want to go at the fills slowly to see how you are doing and give you a chance to get used to it.

Just try to eat Protein and veggies and not many carbs and you won't be as hungry, and should continue to lose until you can get another fill .

I Lost Slowly Until My Third Fill. Then The Weight Started To Come Off.

Christasha.......i Have Lost 135 Lbs So Far And I Think I Walk Around With A Smile On My Face Everyday. I Still Can Not Believe I Am So Close To 199. When You Look At The Number, The Amount You Need To Lose, It Is Overwelming! I Needed To Lose Around 180 Lbs. Just About Half Of Me. I Have Lost 75 Lbs So Many Times But Never Kept It Off. This Time I Have Lost My 135 And Will Never See It Again! What A Blessing Our Band Is!

About The Fills, Do Not Get Discuraged. The First Fills I Didn't Even Feel As If I Had A Fill. Then, Everything Changed. So Be Patient And Enjoy.

Ladydi

Dear LadyDi, Foxy Grandma and others. Thank you for letting me know that sometimes you don't feel any restriction after the first fill. I think, Lady Di, that you said it took three fills for you until things started to work. It has been a little over a week since my first fill and I can eat anything and nothing gets stuck and I only feel a very, very slight feeling of fullness (usually just in the morning). I called the nurse and she said that they don't like to add saline quite so close to the first one, so I guess I'll eat Protein and veggies and stick it out until after Christmas when my next fill is scheduled. I hope it doesn't take too long to get it right. But, I'm encouraged from those of you who say that things are going well. Keep up the good work. Marilyn

Marilyn, Yes, It Did Take 3 Fills. Then I Started To Lose 10 Lbs A Month With No Problems. Everyone Is Different But How Ever Many Times It Takes, Just Be Patient For It Will Happen And The Weight Will Start To Fall Off. I Had Only Lost About 15-20 Lbs The First 4 Mos And I Was Discurraged. Then It All Started Up.

When Were You Banded? Sounds As If You Were Just About A Yr After Me. Enjoy Christmas And New Year And Then You Will Be Ready For Your Fill. I Hope It Will Be The Magic One For You.

Diane

Hi, ladydi....so happy to get your message. I did get another fill this week and I'm feeling much better....still not as restrictive as I think it should be, but I'm not having that hungry feeling all the time. This will get me through Christmas without worrying so much about gaining everything back. If you say the third time was the trick for you, I hope it will be for me, too. Merry Christmas to you....have a wonderful holiday and let's say that 2008 will be a terrific year for all we "banders". Marilyn

Marilyn, Hello

Enjoy Eating A Little During The Holidays For Once You Get Your Sweet Spot That Will Stop. It Doesn't Bother Me Because Of Feeling So Much Better And Looking So Different. I Am Wearing A 16 Now Compared To A 34. I Am Now A Real Person Shopping In A Real Store. Can You Believe That. I Never really Thought I Would. I Hoped But Because Of All The Other Times I Tried And Never Did It, Its Sometimes Hard To Believe.

Looking On The Bottom Of My Page I Guess It Was The 4th Time, But Don't Worry. Most People Are 2-3 Times. Your Next Time Will Do The Trick, I Hope. How Much Do You Have To Lose?

I Know 2008 Will Be The Best Yr Of My Life! It's The Begining Of So Many Good Things, For All Of Us.

Merry Christmas Marilyn

Diane

I am glad you got your fill Marilyn. I agree that you should be happy to sneak up on the right spot. After Christmas, if you get more put in, you might not be able to eat more than a few bites or throw up. It's not fun to throw up in front of people or have to explain why you can't eat.

I hope you have wonderful holidays and then get a fill and it's perfect.

Ladydi, I just found this thread again after not knowing where to find it for ages (I'm not a computer whiz) Anyway reading it today I am so awed and inspired by your weight loss. I still haven't had a fill so I'm not lossing, but reading this thread gives me hope. I'm wondering if your faces got a lot more wrinkles after weight loss. People ususally don't believe that 'm 67 because my chubby face doesn't have wrinkles. I'm sure I'll have lots of them when the fat is gone. I don't really care. I'm doing this to feel better.

I am 62 and hoping for a surgery date in February about the time of my 63rd birthday. It is good to hear from the over 60's and their experiences. My sister had gastric bypass over a year ago and has lost nearly 100 pounds, but when I started thinking about wls I decided I was more comfortable with the lapband. I will come back with updates when I know more.

I am 62 and hoping for a surgery date in February about the time of my 63rd birthday. It is good to hear from the over 60's and their experiences. My sister had gastric bypass over a year ago and has lost nearly 100 pounds, but when I started thinking about wls I decided I was more comfortable with the lapband. I will come back with updates when I know more.

I was 63 when I had my surgery in July. My 5 month Bandiversary is later this week and I"m down 55 lb. No complications whatsoever. It's been smooth sailing from day one. Best of luck! Keep us posted.

I am 67 and I just got my surgery date. I will Pre Op on 12/27 and have surgery on 12/31. I'm on medicare and have gone through a number of different things to satisfy medicare requirements. My surgery will be done by Dr. Wright at Nix Hospital in San Antonio, Texas.

Gene

I am 67 and I just got my surgery date. I will Pre Op on 12/27 and have surgery on 12/31. I'm on medicare and have gone through a number of different things to satisfy medicare requirements. My surgery will be done by Dr. Wright at Nix Hospital in San Antonio, Texas.

Gene

Gene

Congrats on starting the new year with the greatest tool to help you have a HEALTHY NEW YEARS :clap2:

I don't know Dr Wright - but how can you go wrong with someone with that last name:p (plus i was born with that last name - so I say I was born Wright:p)