Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mental health clearance issues

So, I have bipolar and because of that the counselor at the surgeon's office and the surgeon require that my regular therapist and psychiatrist both fill out a paper stating that they believe I’m stable, understand fully what I’m getting into, have a support system, etc. I took the papers in to my therapist appointment today and she said she’s not allowed to sign anything. She sent an email to her supervisor who said she doesn’t think they fill those out at all. OMG! The surgeon said he can’t do surgery until he knows I’m stable and they sign off on it. My therapist said she’ll continue to push on getting it filled out and she believes I’m perfectly fine for surgery, but now what? I seriously hate the clinic I go to. If they refuse to fill out the forms I’m screwed. I called the counselor at the surgeon’s office and explained what’s going on. She said she’d give them a call on Monday or Tuesday and talk to them. I hope she can get through to them and get it done. I do NOT want to be denied surgery just because this clinic doesn’t like signing papers. ARGH!!!

If they still absolutely refuse to fill them out I will ask the surgeon's counselor if I can meet with her monthly instead. They will be able to get my records from my therapist and psychiatrist so they'll at least be able to see that I'm still being seen. If that doesn't work, well, I guess I'm heading off to Mexico. I've already been cleared for surgery there. I just REALLY don't want to spend my entire tax refund on that.

Why don't YOU get a copy of your records?---or sign a release so your surgeon's office can get a copy?

Somewhere within your records will be a progress note regarding your stability .

Please post and let us know how goes. I hope we can be of some help.

Whichysar, I also have bipolar and anxiety issues. The surgeon here has everyone get a mental health clearance. They also have some psychiatrist that will do it for a cost. Shoot how do they know your stable?

I've been seeing my psychologist for many years now. I asked him to do this for me seeing he knows how I am. My phyciatrist couldn't do it even though I see him every 3 months for my meds.

Ask if your therapist could write an accesment for your clearance, he/she is the one that knows you best.

Best of luck

I've already signed papers for them to get the records but they also need this particular form filled out and signed by my therapist and psychiatrist. Without that particular form, no surgery. The surgeon's counselor has cleared me for surgery AS LONG AS I get those forms filled out.

My therapist isn't allowed to write out anything at all. Can't write anything, can't sign anything... nothing.

I've already signed papers for them to get the records but they also need this particular form filled out and signed by my therapist and psychiatrist. Without that particular form, no surgery. The surgeon's counselor has cleared me for surgery AS LONG AS I get those forms filled out.

My therapist isn't allowed to write out anything at all. Can't write anything, can't sign anything... nothing.

Well that's complete BS! Could she BILL your insurance for your sessions??! Why the hell can't they fill out a form stating their clinical judgement!

Sent from my KFFOWI using the BariatricPal App

Beats the hell out of me. I needed a letter for another situation before, I needed it to say that I had bipolar and anxiety and that those conditions could cause problems with attendance and that I am now in therapy being treated. That's all, just the facts, not even personal judgment. They refused. Flat out refused. Because of that I am no longer eligible for financial aid. This place just is completely irritating.

That doesn't seem right. :( Do you have any other options for your therapy?

Not many. I have medicaid so my options are limited. Plus if I switch now it'll take even longer to get cleared for surgery since I'm sure the new therapist and psychiatrist would want to establish a relationship with me over a few months first. It's so frustrating.

My only advise with any kind of paper work is to keep asking. I had a few issues getting documents and after two weeks of persistent calls I eventually got what I needed. But I had to go through about 7 different managers. The first 6 said that what I was asking for could not be done. Number 7 - did it

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'll keep trying. It's stupid that it's this difficult though.

So sorry, it sounds like they don't want any liability if psychologically you are not able to handle the surgery. Good luck getting this sorted out. I did my psych eval for surgery online....bariatricpsychevaluations.com

My insurance covered it but if not its a flat 100$ fee.

Heard back from my therapist's supervisor. They absolutely will not fill out these papers. Period. So now I don't know what to do. I'll call my surgeon's office layer and talk to the counselor there and see what she thinks. I am so livid right now!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

I hate this for you!!! This is a classic example of what Joseph Heller meant when he wrote "Catch 22". What a load of poop they don't fill things out. If this is true, they are the only clinic on the planet who doesn't. I mean medical people have to ok all kinds of things...there's nothing different with your bipolar than my broken let when it comes to stating whether I am medically able or not. Is there any way you can pay for a private therapist to evaluate you? You know, a psych evaluation? that would be cheaper than going to Mexico. I hate clinics sometimes. I hope you prevail! good luck to you! Nancy K.

Guest jeanmetz@optonline.net

So, I have bipolar and because of that the counselor at the surgeon's office and the surgeon require that my regular therapist and psychiatrist both fill out a paper stating that they believe I’m stable, understand fully what I’m getting into, have a support system, etc. I took the papers in to my therapist appointment today and she said she’s not allowed to sign anything. She sent an email to her supervisor who said she doesn’t think they fill those out at all. OMG! The surgeon said he can’t do surgery until he knows I’m stable and they sign off on it. My therapist said she’ll continue to push on getting it filled out and she believes I’m perfectly fine for surgery, but now what? I seriously hate the clinic I go to. If they refuse to fill out the forms I’m screwed. I called the counselor at the surgeon’s office and explained what’s going on. She said she’d give them a call on Monday or Tuesday and talk to them. I hope she can get through to them and get it done. I do NOT want to be denied surgery just because this clinic doesn’t like signing papers. ARGH!!!

If they still absolutely refuse to fill them out I will ask the surgeon's counselor if I can meet with her monthly instead. They will be able to get my records from my therapist and psychiatrist so they'll at least be able to see that I'm still being seen. If that doesn't work, well, I guess I'm heading off to Mexico. I've already been cleared for surgery there. I just REALLY don't want to spend my entire tax refund on that.

My Dr offers a couple of psychiatrists to be available for everyone thinking of surgery. I didn't go since I had my own. My psychiatrist knew about this letter approval as she had done some already. I was prepared to go to their psch. If it meant getting approved for surgery. You might have to do that. I wish you luck!

Sent from my SM-T320 using the BariatricPal App

The surgeon I go to has a counselor on site that I've already seen. She has already cleared me. The surgeon is still requiring the forms from my own therapist and psychiatrist too. He needs to see a history of my bipolar being stable, so even paying another psych footer am evaluation won't work. He needs the history.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App