Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Laffy taffy - skittles -starburst

I'm 6 months out and on occasion have a piece of candy here and there with no issues. I'm not a laffy taffy person but I've had salt Water taffy. No dumping episodes, again it was only a piece or two.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm with SnarkyB*tch (@@LipstickLady )

If you have a 'sweet craving' have a square of high-cocoa dark chocolate...

It'll cure what ails ya...

But I'm also with @@OutsideMatchInside

For the most part, I'd much prefer something savoury...

I piece of nice cheese...

Something salty and...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Anyway, leave it a while yet...

Maybe 'til you're on top of your cravings and stuff...

As others have said or alluded to, it's not always easy to stop at just one...

Good luck to you!!

'Inside'??

'Inside' what??

Nothing 'inside' about that...

Everyone here knows you're a SnarkyB*tch...

It's what you were before you went all soft and became 'Naughty Girl'...

Now, no more hijacking threads...

It seems to happen whenever I post...

Hence my decline in posting...

Apologies @@Red_lips_and_confidence

Normal service will now resume...

I'm with ya man I would rather have savory salty over anything mmmmmmmmmmmmm I'm sure 6 + months from now I won't even want it cause from what everyone's telling me my taste buds will change...with Larry taffy I doubt it haha .

And you kids duke it out . I'll eat some popcorn on the sidelines and watch......ehhh wait I'm still on full liquids, just kidding

I am six months post sleeve. What don't understand is why! Why would any of us put ourselves through this to become healthy strong confident and then eat foods we all know got us to the place we where prior to surgery. Think before you eat stick to the program and remind yourself why your health is more appetizing the crap food.

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

@@Red_lips_and_confidence

The idea that your taste buds change is one of the things that really turned me off about surgery for years. It didn't happen to me at all. The things I liked before I like now, and the things I didn't like, well I hate them. That is the biggest thing, everything is exaggerated, the things I loved before like steak, I love even more. Things I was on the fence about, I hate.

I am sure if I had red velvet cake I would still find it delicious. The difference mentally thinking about red velvet cake, doesn't drive me to physically want red velvet cake. My body has no reaction to my mind thinking about it, and it becomes a fleeting thought. That is the benefit of not having the hunger hormone to worry about. That is the only change that I have, I am not obsessed or drawn to foods. I have a wide variety of things I like and I eat those things. Right now I am avoiding steak, even though I love it because fish is lower in calories and I am trying to bank calories each day for more variety in other things besides Protein and if I have Protein that is high in calories, less room of other things. The ability to resist is easier than it was in the past.

I can not ever order another bag of Bariatric Advantage lemon Calcium chews. They taste like lemon starburst and are chewy. And I tolerate well. Too well. I really want to eat more than 1 a day. But at 3 carbs and not to mention Calcium overload causing Constipation.

I did cheat and have lemonheads. I should have never had even 1. Even though it never made me sick.

Here is why:

1. I planned on having just 2 and had 20.

2. I went over my carb allotment for the day 20g

3. It made me crave sugar when I hadn't in 3 months.

4. I felt disappointed in myself because I did so well up until then and can no longer say I didn't cheat.

Edited by goplay94123

I wouldn't do it myself, and here's why: Sugar craves sugar. You're setting yourself up for a big struggle for one or two pieces of candy...it's a slippery slope, and to me it's just not worth it. You can sneak in a lot of calories before you know it! You're better off eating your favorite fruit if you must have something sweet. Good luck to you!

@@Red_lips_and_confidence

Enjoy a piece of your candy occasionally. We did not have surgery to spend the rest of our lives never enjoying food. Guess what? At three months post-op I had chocolate..10 days of chocolate at Christmas because I have a deal with myself that I only get chocolate between Christmas and New Year. I did not die, I did not gain weight, and it was damn good. January I then got right back on the wagon and did not have any chocolate again until the next year. Here is the funny part though...last Christmas was my third Christmas post-sleeve. I knew that if I wanted to have chocolate I could and I had zero interest in any sweets at all until I realized it was New Year's Eve and I had not had anything fun to eat! I got a bag of Peanut Butter cups, a brownie, two bags of that puppy chow stuff, and a few other random pieces of chocolate. I was going to enjoy the heck out of the night and I had maybe two Peanut Butter cups, a few bites of brownie, a handful of puppy chow and I was then like, ok I think I might die, this was not fun. I then put the junk away and had no interest in eating any more of it again.

There is nothing wrong with wanting a piece of candy now and then of the foods you named, if you only have a few bites, you are not going to hurt yourself and you might not even get sick. I used to get hot flashes with sugar, so you might dump, you might not. I did not get a sleeve so I could eat chicken and broccoli for the rest of my life and there is no reason you can't periodically enjoy some junk food.< /p>

The part you might find most amusing though is that after awhile you don't really crave that food any more. I got an Easter basket filled with sugary Snacks that I would have normally loved. I poured it all into a ziploc bag figuring I would eat it later and I haven't had a single piece. I think it's somewhere in my pantry. I LOVE sugar...or maybe more appropriately, I LOVED sugar. I could eat a bakery. At almost three years post-op, I very rarely crave any kind of baked good, I have zero interest in candy, and if I want a snack, my go-to not great for me food is crackers and a Fiber One Bar. I think part of the reason for this is because with a sleeve, there is no food I am not allowed to eat. If I really want a cookie, I can have one, which has resulted in virtually no interest in eating one.

How you use your sleeve is something that you will learn and if part of losing weight you reward yourself with a few skittles or laffy taffy, then good for you, enjoy them and then go back to eating healthy stuff. The point of the sleeve for most people is to have a normal life, where food does not dictate your every thought and action. Being normal means sometimes you get to have some cake, or in your case, starbursts, and it also means after you've had a few, you put the bag down and don't eat the rest. Go be normal....and if you get sick, think of it as your stomach conditioning you to not eat junk, lol. :)

I occasionally have a piece of chocolate or a few tic tacos. Haven't tried skittles or laffy taffy.

What the %^&*&^ is a TIC taco???

You've never had a taco flavored tic tac? It's the newest thing at Taco Bell right now . I like the chalupa flavored ones myself

Sorry meant tic tac.

@@Red_lips_and_confidence,

You must be feeling pretty good and recovering pretty well post-op if you’re thinking ahead to when you can eat candy! I’m sure you have already thought about the calories and would only eat them in amounts that will fit into your diet.

Others have already brought up the possibility of dumping syndrome. Everyone reacts differently to different foods, so you may or may not have a problem. If you do, you may at least be able to make it less severe by eating the candy – pure sugar – with something that slows digestion, like Protein and Fiber. You could try with nuts, which have Protein, fiber, and healthy fats that can slow digestion and maybe prevent dumping syndrome.

You can also try sugar free candies, but they have sugar alcohols and can also give your stomach trouble.

@@Red_lips_and_confidence,

You must be feeling pretty good and recovering pretty well post-op if you’re thinking ahead to when you can eat candy! I’m sure you have already thought about the calories and would only eat them in amounts that will fit into your diet.

Others have already brought up the possibility of dumping syndrome. Everyone reacts differently to different foods, so you may or may not have a problem. If you do, you may at least be able to make it less severe by eating the candy – pure sugar – with something that slows digestion, like Protein and Fiber. You could try with nuts, which have Protein, fiber, and healthy fats that can slow digestion and maybe prevent dumping syndrome.

You can also try sugar free candies, but they have sugar alcohols and can also give your stomach trouble.

I am doing actually really well! My doctor said above average . I am not craving it , it's more out of Curiosity since I'm so much in the early stages I wonder what works for people in the future :) thanks for the suggestions ! A trail mix would be good!

I have never been a candy person. Not really a sweets person, but when I do like sweets it is baked goods.

I think before 6 months it will make you dump and you aren't fully healed, but I don't even know about the textures of those things. I wouldn't chance them getting stuck or something.

I honestly doubt they are worth the risk. If you want sweets, there are safer options, even cake would be better than straight candy just because at least it has some fiber.

You are fresh from surgery and not eating yet, so you are probably just dreaming about food and imagining all the things you will never be able to have.

I have to say that the longer you stick to your plan, the less likely you are to even want those kinds of things. I am thinking about my favorite dessert right now and I have no desire or emotions for it. However, I do have Halo top ice cream and eatmeguiltfree Protein brownies. They fill any of those desires and they also have Protein and fit my plan.

If you stick to your plan (and I am not saying that you aren't), you really reprogram your mind and your tastes.

When I first had surgery and pre-op I never thought I would have anything "good" and that food would always be a chore and never a pleasure. I can tell you that 6 days shy of a year that is not the case at all. I eat lots of delicious things, that fit my program, in small amounts and I actually enjoy food now more than before.

Don't think about candy, take a walk. You will make yourself nuts.

Never heard of eatmequiltfree protein brownies but I did find their site. Do you make the various recipes they have on their site and are they good? Which is the best?

I would think that they would fit into our program better than the candies that were previously mentioned.