Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm freaking HUNGRYYYY! Eeerrrrgggg!

I think me and you are in the same boat here. I am also a Lap Band to Sleeve patient and I had my surgery June 21. The liquid diet was/is a struggle, so I decided moved to soft foods instead on week 2 and gained 2lbs since my last visit to the doctor. The hunger pains are crazy, especially living with my younger sister who eats anything and everything under the sun. I decided today after visiting my doctor to restart my liquid diet to get back on track.

What helped me with the hunger pains before was drinking hot tea whenever I felt hungry. (I'm starting this again as well). The hot liquid expands your stomach and makes you feel full. Joining this forum is also a big step for me because last time with my Band, I went into it alone and I did not have the support from others that were going through the same thing.

We know what to do, we have all the tools, we just have to use them properly. Good thing about this, you can always start over and try again. We all wanted change when we decided to get WLS, now it's time to but that change into action. WE GOT IT!!!

@@OutsideMatchInside

Thank goodness someone gets it!

Too bad the others don't get this is not about a piece of bacon.

This is about helping others. It's everyone simply excusing the behaviors and worse yet, telling her to ignore her doctors orders and move on. Yes, we are all human but when you go through months/years of preparation and in the first week that's what you do?

I don't know about you but honestly I was devastated everytime someone gets on here and they are denied by their insurance and cannot pay out of pocket. I remember being so I'll that my doctor told me I had one foot on a banana peel and one foot in the grave.

I just don't get squandering your 2nd chance in life. And for those of you saying well, maybe I wasn't that sick...I ask then why did you have this surgery?

Then we have newbies that simply disregard doctors orders and even worse yet, give some new person medical advice that you know they want to hear.

What the heck??? We are not doctors nor do we know why her doctor has her on a liquid diet for so long. She was a revision, right? Why didn't the first one work? I don't know this nor does anyone else but maybe, just maybe there is more to the story.

Others read this and assume that oh, 1 tiny piece of bacon didn't hurt her so I would probably be ok too?

This is not all about the OP. This is about people who have not had the surgery yet, or just had it or have not even gotten to their goals giving the OP advice to disregard doctors orders.

Some people want to hear those words.....and will act on it.

Too bad if people think I am being mean. I think I am being upfront and direct. Read whatever you all want in to that but someone has to shake some sense into those that just don't get it.

Ok.....I am officially done ranting.

Maybe someone learned and will never make this mistake. I was given lots of classes, handouts, guidance and I am a follower when it comes to this but some people learn the hard way. Someone preop will read this and never do it!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Good thing you didn't say you used a straw, that would have really stirred up a s*** storm. :)

If you do not have any information from your surgeon or a nutritionist on the post VSG diet, there are documents out there from reputable hospitals & doctors.

Try a Google search like this: post vsg diet filetype:pdf

We all make wrong choices, we are humans. If I made all the right decisions, I would never have been obese and needed the surgery.

Your stomach was traumatized (80-85% was surgically removed); you are in a recovery process and are making a lifestyle change.

I think some of the people were just trying to give you tough love.

PS. I like your sense of humor with your bacon avatar picture.

Edited by 4MRB4PHOTO

@@SiSSi829

It's clear you know your body best. It's not your fault the band failed you and your surgeon shouldn't be at all upset you ate bacon a few days post op. After all, you live with you and you are much more aware of what your body needs than he is.

You do you! If that means eating off plan, so be it! Bacon can be chewed, milkshakes are a liquid (add some Protein powder?), popcorn is crunchy (and it's corn, really)...

You've done this WLS thing before. I'm sure you'll rock it this time!

@SiSSi829....I think your avatar is perfect! hahaha "Bacon is the Devil"...

Keep on smiling!

Yeah, WLS is tough. And compliance is tough.

Guess what -- compliance is what's required for you to succeed long-term.

If you can't hack compliance, you're going to wind up in the same place you started -- obese.

I am totally serious about this. All this "Nobody's perfect, honey!" is a terrible response to someone who ate bacon five days post-op.

And yes, I've read every post here.

Shaking my damn head.

Well said !!!

Yeah, WLS is tough. And compliance is tough.

Guess what -- compliance is what's required for you to succeed long-term.

If you can't hack compliance, you're going to wind up in the same place you started -- obese.

I am totally serious about this. All this "Nobody's perfect, honey!" is a terrible response to someone who ate bacon five days post-op.

And yes, I've read every post here.

Shaking my damn head.

Well damn... Aren't we just the epitome of self control and discipline?!? If u were so good at it then you yourself wouldn't have needed surgery to begin with, with that said. I'm not on here be criticized or to be pitied. I searched for a forum to be informed, to find out if I was the only one going through things and to educate myself on something that I am new to. So please spare me with the self righteous bullshit! You and evry1 else who feels The need to taller about me Or My situation like u knw me. Everything is learned, unless u are so damn special that u were born knowing already.

Gastric Sleeve Surgery 6/15/16 Miami,Fl

33yrs/mother of 2boys /5'6"

highest weight 300s in 2002-03

lowest weight 193 in 2014

I've lost 100 pounds. I've been below my goal weight for 14 months. I weigh 135 pounds. I am 70 years old.

I got to this point in the last two years -- by which I mean I have accomplished my WLS goals -- by being compliant with my surgeon's instructions. Period.

You can have your big fat hissy fit if you want to. And you can keep eating bacon if you want to. Or eat any damn thing you want to when "life gets too tough." See how far that gets you.

Nobody has it easy after WLS. Not you. Not me. Not anyone. It's tough.

So get tough. And you'll win, too.

Excellent response!!!!!

@@SiSSi829

At the end of the day, you are the only one in control of your actions and behaviors. I know your post was directed to @vsganne2014.

I am not sure about her but I remember those first days, weeks, months exactly. I will never ever forget them. I know how scared I was, I know that I may have even 2nd guessed my decision because I was weak and exhausted. I was even tempted to go off plan.

So, I began reaching out to people like @vsganne2014 for help. And you know what, I listened because they knew what it was like. They lived it and they knew what mistakes might actually cause a problem, as an example...eating bacon.

You may not like the tough love approach and I understand that. Try to get past that and learn from people who lived it.

Honestly we are trying to help you guys but if you are not willing to listen or we hurt your feelings, too bad. If we get through to a few folks that are going through the start of their journey, then it's worth it.

At the end of the day, we believe in what we have done because as we followed instructions the weight came off, our health got better allowing us to be here for our children and grandchildren.

If you don't want to listen no one can make you. Clearly you don't listen to your doctor or your nut so what exactly are you looking for???

Someone to tell you it is alright to go off plan and do what you want? Well, you got that to from people that don't know or have yet to live this journey or haven't reached goal and may never.

If you think it is hard now, just wait until you can eat whatever you want because trust me, the honeymoon will end quickly and you will be right back where you started. I am RNY 22 months post op. I literally can eat anything I want. I know the moment I eat chips that tomorrow when I get on the scale I will show a gain. Yes....just from some chips. Do that more than a few days in a row and guess what, I am up 3-5lbs and freaking out. This is because I never ever want to be that sick 310 women who has diabetes, severe gerd, high blood pressure and stage 3 chronic kidney disease almost at a point where I needed dialysis all from eating whatever I wanted whenever I wanted.

It is time to pull up your big girl pants and do what you set out to do. For you, for your children for whatever reasons you started in the first place.

It doesn't matter to us who you do it for, just get yourself healthy.

If that seems mean to you, then I am sorry but it really is the truth and I think if you think hard about it, you will realize that doing what you are supposed to is the best thing you can do for yourself.

I applaud those willing to provide an honest kick in the pants because sometimes it is necessary.

Awesome story and spot on advice. Thank you.

Good thing you didn't say you used a straw, that would have really stirred up a s*** storm. :)

If you do not have any information from your surgeon or a nutritionist on the post VSG diet, there are documents out there from reputable hospitals & doctors.

Try a Google search like this: post vsg diet filetype:pdf

We all make wrong choices, we are humans. If I made all the right decisions, I would never have been obese and needed the surgery.

Your stomach was traumatized (80-85% was surgically removed); you are in a recovery process and are making a lifestyle change.

I think some of the people were just trying to give you tough love.

PS. I like your sense of humor with your bacon avatar picture.

I get the tough love approach but that doesn't work one every1. I mean how many of us went through the tough love phase while we were gaining the weight and lo and behold here we are. (Change the "we's" to the "I/me" cause I don't want no drama) I knw of people that had the phases in middle school,high school and through most of their young adult life go through the rude comment and harsh remarks and it didn't especially coming gon family who is supposed to be our/my support system.

But anywho, I'm here for insite not approval. I'm here information not "pats on the back".

No1 likes to be attacked but evry1 expects me to take the "tough love" like a champ and not have anything say.

Oh well. It is what it is.

Ok, i am going to put my 2 cents worth..

Was eating bacon 1 week out wrong... yes

Is the post op plan of being on liquids ridiculously difficult.. absolutely.

But, one thing that virgin sleevers may not realise is that... for people who have had the band previously there is less restriction than there is for a person who has never had wls.

The esophagus is looser and the nerve endings are less sensitive... so the hunger is there... not head hunger.. but actual hunger for some.

I know when i was newly sleeved i was suprised that i had actual hunger.. even after reading on these boards that supposedly the hunger is gone.

Bacon was probably not the best choice, perhaps yoghurt or milk would have been a better choice to take the edge off.

Obesity for some is an addiction, and like with any addiction changing habits is not so easy... i always say the mental part of wls is the hardest part... you are fighting years of habits, instincts to eat, social expectations, using food as rewards... the list goes on.

However, the eating bacon does not seem to be the issue here... what seems to be the issue is accountability...... if you make a mistake.. which we all do because we are human... is owning it... yes you ate bacon at 1 week out, that was very risky, yes you compromised your healing, put yourself at risk of perforating your stomach... but owning it is what teaches you better habits, owning it will help you understand that you made a mistake and that you learnt from people that it was wrong and to evaluate why you decided to stray from your surgeons plan.

However, to people who have replied, there is no need to be cruel about it... i am sure the OP knows what she did was wrong.... but maybe us more experienced wls patients can try and help to find the root of why they strayed....

I have no issues with tough love.... as long as it is done with some empathy...i have given and received it many times.. however, plain rudeness is unacceptable and having 40 people attack without offering solutions for next time could be the issue here too.

Girl, put away the bacon, stop self sabotaging and next time you feel like you want to stray, jump on here and maybe we can help give advice on what you can have without putting your health in jeopardy.

But, one thing that virgin sleevers may not realise is that... for people who have had the band previously there is less restriction than there is for a person who has never had wls.

The esophagus is looser and the nerve endings are less sensitive... so the hunger is there... not head hunger.. but actual hunger for some.

I know when i was newly sleeved i was suprised that i had actual hunger.. even after reading on these boards that supposedly the hunger is gone.

Bacon was probably not the best choice, perhaps yoghurt or milk would have been a better choice to take the edge off.

Obesity for some is an addiction, and like with any addiction changing habits is not so easy... i always say the mental part of wls is the hardest part... you are fighting years of habits, instincts to eat, social expectations, using food as rewards... the list goes on.

However, the eating bacon does not seem to be the issue here... what seems to be the issue is accountability...... if you make a mistake.. which we all do because we are human... is owning it... yes you ate bacon at 1 week out, that was very risky, yes you compromised your healing, put yourself at risk of perforating your stomach... but owning it is what teaches you better habits, owning it will help you understand that you made a mistake and that you learnt from people that it was wrong and to evaluate why you decided to stray from your surgeons plan.

However, to people who have replied, there is no need to be cruel about it... i am sure the OP knows what she did was wrong.... but maybe us more experienced wls patients can try and help to find the root of why they strayed....

I have no issues with tough love.... as long as it is done with some empathy...i have given and received it many times.. however, plain rudeness is unacceptable and having 40 people attack without offering solutions for next time could be the issue here too.

Girl, put away the bacon, stop self sabotaging and next time you feel like you want to stray, jump on here and maybe we can help give advice on what you can have without putting your health in jeopardy.

Thanks for the advice. I read all the post and I do take the Advice & suggestions even if it is from the rude and outraged veterans, why because they've been there done that. Yes I do get upset because o feel like they've forgotten what they were here for to begin with.

In conclusion I do read and listen and try to analyze what they're saying.

Thank you and thanks to evry1 who's commented and had an option in on this post.

Thanks for the advice. I read all the post and I do take the Advice & suggestions even if it is from the rude and outraged veterans, why because they've been there done that. Yes I do get upset because o feel like they've forgotten what they were here for to begin with.

In conclusion I do read and listen and try to analyze what they're saying.

Thank you and thanks to evry1 who's commented and had an option in on this post.

Besides, I'm a warrior. I survived cancer so I think I can survive some rude folks and some hunger. Thanks doll.

Edited by SiSSi829

Anytime.... ????

The veterans here are actually wonderful people who do have a large amount of knowledge among them, and i would suggest to anyone to listen to their words of wisdom, they have been there and done that... so hearing them out helps us learn from their mistakes.

Unfortunately though there have been many people lately that have been mean to the veterans because they didn't like what they were told.... even when what the vet was saying is absolutely correct... some people jump on expecting validation for their errors... then when they don't get it... they call the vets names or get all hissy about it.

Unfortunately because of this we are losing many vets and this is a disservice to newbies because then instead of learning from others mistakes, they will learn from their mistakes the hard way...

But, its all good... we live and learn....

Ok... so i was reading though some posts... and i noticed something.

I saw the Protein drink that your surgeon has got you on and i had a quick look at the ingredients....

Could it possibly be that is what is causing your dizziness and tiredness.... i noticed that it has L-Tryptophan in it... and i know for a fact that it makes you tired and sleepy.... also, it concerns me that it is not a Protein isolate... so you wouldn't be absorbing the complete 18g of protein in it...

How much of that stuff are you having for each meal?

Can i make a suggestion that you call your surgeon and ask if you can change to a normal low carb protein isolate.... if he says yes, i would go out and buy some... that protein might be the issue...

I did. 1st with my dr then with the nutritionist. One month Clear Liquids. One month full liquids and one month of purée

I think your dr is crazy! I feel you pain, I had a horrible time on Clear Liquids. All the liquids made me so nauseous. I was allowed to have sugar free Jello and pudding. They weren't doing anything for me and I couldnt choke down Protein shakes at that point either. I gave in and started eating Greek yogurt at 1 1/2 weeks. It is the same consistency as pudding and it made me feel so much better! Now I a a little over 3 weeks (had surgery the 15th) and I can get muscle milk down but that greek yogurt saved me. While I agree bacon probably wasnt the best choice, when we are that weak and nasty feeling, it is hard to make good choices. I hope you are doing better now!