Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm freaking HUNGRYYYY! Eeerrrrgggg!

Hello. I had my gastric sleeve conversion surgery (from a lapband) on 6/15/16. On the second day of my surgery I was confused on weather I had gas pains or if I was hungry. I was discharged on that Friday but the whole time that I was in the hospital I could drink all the 4oz cups that they brought in to eat. I saw my dr a week later and he chewed my head off telling me how much he regretted doing my conversion surgery because I had a piece of bacon, 3 tablespoons of Cereal and milk because I was feeling so very hungry, weak, dizzy ect and eating a bit of something or other took the edge off. I'm actually at the point of regretting getting this second surgery. Feeling depressed at times and all I've lost is 20lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I would have reacted the same as your surgeon. Why should he bother wasting his time if you are not going to do your part? Not to mention risking serious complications by eating bacon 1 week after having your stomach cut open along its entire length!

Thank you

Oh my you live dangerously. You really have to be careful. Putting food down a 1 week post op sleeve could rip you open and cause you serious harm. When you feel like that drink a high Protein drink. It will help with the hunger or try a sugar free popcicles or Jello, it usually helps right away. Drink you fluids slowly. Good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

You can eat some things if you're feeling super dizzy and hungry but I don't think bacon was a wise choice this early. But previous posters, you're being a lil' harsh. You appear to miss where OP said they were dizzy and felt malnourished.

I really don't think that 1/2 an inch of bacon would really cause any harm to my surgery. I did however feel somewhat dizzy/nauseous just drinking Water and still happens if I drink to fast.

Gastric Sleeve Surgery 6/15/16 Miami,Fl 33yrs/mother of 2boys/ highest weight 300s in 2002-03 lowest weight 193 in 2014

I really don't think that 1/2 an inch of bacon would really cause any harm to my surgery. I did however feel somewhat dizzy/nauseous just drinking Water and still happens if I drink to fast.

You shouldn't be just drinking Water, and drinking anything too fast-- you should be following your diet guidelines and drinking Protein shakes, broths, etc. You need the Protein to heal, and you're not going to get what you need from bacon. Follow your diet guidelines and let your new stomach heal up and work for you--- it wont do all the work on its own, especially as a revision. You need to be extra diligent on doing things the right way if you want this to succeed.

That's just the thing. My Dr says I'm supposed to be on Clear liquids one month, full liquids on month 2 and purées by month 3. . Nothing was ever said about Protein shakes. Just regular nasty& thick ass Protein 3 x's a day and that has helped with the faint, nauseous & weak feeling that I was experiencing but not at all with the hunger.

Gastric Sleeve Surgery 6/15/16 Miami,Fl 33yrs/mother of 2boys/ highest weight 300s in 2002-03 lowest weight 193 in 2014

Jeez, people, get off her back! I think your surgeon us crazy - a month of Clear Liquids? I was sleeved 6/22 and suffered hunger pains really badly. I talked to my nutritionist and surgeon. Both agreed I could intro soft foods as I could tolerate them. Chew if you need to chew - think high Protein. Good luck!

Sent from my LGLS990 using the BariatricPal App

a month of clear liquids - YIKES.

I try to think of it this way - in terms of food texture - if your arm was seamed up the side, which would feel better against that incision - a Protein drink or cottage cheese, or a slice of crispy bacon- and the answer is obvious, the liquid or cottage cheese would hurt less against that wound. well, the inside of your stomach is a wound like that in the first month.

you'll get the hang of it. I understand the sleeve is a whole different feeling than the lap bad was.

how much do you need to loose after your conversion?

For me, plain Water was the hardest thing for me to drink post-op.

Try using water enhancers (like Mio drops or crystal light), Herb infusions, Decaf tea, etc. You may also want to try different temperatures: warm, room temp, cold, etc.

I completely understand the hunger. I had it too earlier...my poor tummy was so angry (growling). But as times progresses it gets better. I sip on nectar Protein drink throughout the day and that keeps the hunger down. The nectar works better for me than the milky thick Protein drinks because it is of thinner consistency and more like a juice. Funny because now I sometimes crave a thick Protein Drink. However, my surgery was 6/16/16, just 1 day after you and I've lost 21lbs since 6/9, when I started the pre-op liquid. If you have lost 20lbs since your surgery date, 6/15, that's awesome. Heck, I thought I was doing great.

I suffered what I called hunger pains very badly in my second week after surgery. I began to suspect it was more acid than hunger when - while I couldn't feel heartburn - I began to taste a bit of acid in the back of my throat. The doctor said I could take tums. The next time I felt those "hunger pains" I took a tums and they almost instantly went away.

Give that a try and see if it helps any.

I know the feeling I am literally starving!

@@Christinamo7 same thing I said. And I totally I totally understand the harm that I may put myself through. But it's not easy cooking at home for the family and working around food close to 12 hrs. Some folks just don't understand and I don't need them too. I joined this app because I thought I was the only one or that I was just being selfish. Many things are a lot easier said then done. I've gotten to point of depression and regret.

@innersurfergirl. I've tried everything u have suggested. I have the enhancers for the Water. Drinking Water has never been an issue nor do I not like drinking water. The only thing I haven't tried is the infusions. I'm gonna see how I do with those.

@RobertD16. I feel u're pain. I was hungry on day 2outta surgery. I was confused on weather they were gas pain though but then I got up, walked around went home and still had the same feeling. I started reading around the net and I've read of folks get so hungry they eat mashed potatoes and stuff

Gastric Sleeve Surgery 6/15/16 Miami,Fl

33yrs/mother of 2boys /5'6"

highest weight 300s in 2002-03

lowest weight 193 in 2014