Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

There are two surgeons in my office. One uses a drain and the other doesn't. I'm unlucky to have the one who uses a drain and found out too late to change surgeons. Do you think there's any way to talk him out of it or am I just screwed? I really, really don't want a drain!

Drains are not as bad as you think. I was terrified, but it is neither as gross, or as inconvenient as I thought. Was still glad when they were out though!

I have heard of serious Fluid build up without a drain, IMHO, having a drain is better.

I had a drain for 3 days and it was no big deal. I was actually glad to gave it. For one, I'd rather have that Fluid out if me than in me and second, it was peace of mind being able to see that healthy, serous fluid that told me I had no internal bleeding and no leak.

I too had a drain. I had a fair bit of oozing, so the drain collected it all nicely.

I'd rather have the inconvenience of the drain, than a serious Fluid build up internally ...

Better out than in, Shrek's mantra :)

Had my drain for 3 days, also. Was glad to have it taken out, and did not suffer any complications.

Wow, you guys were lucky! I had two drains, one came out after a week, the other was over two weeks. Guess I had more draining than you.

I didn't have one for my sleeve but had them for my plastics. as all have said they aren't THAT bad. I wouldn't try to change any doctors mind about what has worked for them in the past

I had my drain until my first surgeon's visit, which was just over a week after surgery. I didn't like the drain, it could be uncomfortable and hurt sometimes, but I'd have rather had it than not since it had a job to do and it did that.

I wouldn't complain to the doctor. Just follow their orders and do what they tell you to do.

Ok. Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience. It just really makes me queasy thinking about it. I have a high tolerance for pain but I get super grossed out by anything medical and can't stand the thought of something so gross.

I didn't have one for my sleeve but had them for my plastics. as all have said they aren't THAT bad. I wouldn't try to change any doctors mind about what has worked for them in the past

oops, that's what I meant. I had the drains for my tt/panni not for the sleeve.

Ok. Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience. It just really makes me queasy thinking about it. I have a high tolerance for pain but I get super grossed out by anything medical and can't stand the thought of something so gross.

ME TOO!! Pain, no biggie, but I pass out anytime I get grossed out. Since I live alone, I was terrified I'd pass out every time I had to empty or clean around the drains. Guess what?? I didn't, not even a little, really wasn't gross at all, PHEW!!

Though, just to be safe, the first time I had to clean around them, I laid down on the bed to do it, lol!! And I made sure to have them let me drain them, while still in the hospital, to make sure I could AND stay conscious, lol!

You'll be fine, I'm sure. If I can do it, ANYONE can!

Sorry to piggy back on this thread, but I have a question for those who've had drains before. How did they remove it? Did they have to close up the hole it left? I'm terrified by the idea of having a drain after my WLS. I have a super LOW pain tolerance.

They removed the bandage covering the drain and pulled it out...mine was about 18" long. Then used a steri strip to close the hole and put a little bandage over it. I took the bandage off the next day and the steri strip fell off on its own along with the steri strips on the other 4 incisions about 7-10 days later.

ME TOO!! Pain, no biggie, but I pass out anytime I get grossed out. Since I live alone, I was terrified I'd pass out every time I had to empty or clean around the drains. Guess what?? I didn't, not even a little, really wasn't gross at all, PHEW!!

Though, just to be safe, the first time I had to clean around them, I laid down on the bed to do it, lol!! And I made sure to have them let me drain them, while still in the hospital, to make sure I could AND stay conscious, lol!

You'll be fine, I'm sure. If I can do it, ANYONE can!

Ok that made me feel better. Thanks.

They removed the bandage covering the drain and pulled it out...mine was about 18" long. Then used a steri strip to close the hole and put a little bandage over it. I took the bandage off the next day and the steri strip fell off on its own along with the steri strips on the other 4 incisions about 7-10 days later.

That sounds absolutely horrible and scary. I'm going to die.

That sounds absolutely horrible and scary. I'm going to die.

Agreed. I'm glad they didn't have to stitch the hole, but omg, they pulled out an 18" tube? I'm dying a little right now. REALLY hoping the surgeon I chose doesn't use a drain.