Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do I tell my surgeon he screwed up?

Even mindlessly, for a dare or a million dollars, I could not consume 20oz of dense Protein in one go. Not a chance. I had 5oz once when I had been a long time without food so my stomach was totally empty. Usually I cannot finish 3.5 oz. I am 8 months out.

OP, how did you feel after you ate it? Were you in pain or nauseous?

Book in with your surgeon and present the facts to him. Best of luck.

BC I'm booked to see him on the 14th of next month, I did not feel sick or anything, just full.... The kinda full when you say " ok I've had enough I'm not hungry any more" but def not a I just ate thanksgiving dinner full.

Thank you to the last few replys, I did make an appointment with my dr today, it is scheduled for the 14th of July.

In the mean time i will try measuring out 1/2 cup of food per meal and see what happens, Tho I really don't think I would be remotely satisfied only having 1 egg for a meal like another poster said in their example.

I really hope to have the swallow test done and get some answers, but to be honest.. I don't think I would go through another surgery even if it comes back as being twice the size as it should be.

The whole point of surgery IS so that you will be satisfied with just one egg

Then why do they put TWELVE in the carton!?!?!??!!

So you can be satisfied 12 times

Oh!! That sounds fantastically dirty!!

Excuse me while i go buy some eggs

No need to wait.

The brief intermission time between performances can be shortened through some good straw work.

Just sayin'

Wow, some of you are right down hateful lol. I say I was talking to my dad while eating a steak for a cook out with the intentions of only have the filet mignon side and was able to consume a 20 oz steak without realizing it and I'm blasted because something might not be wrong????

Let me ask you this, can any of you eat 20 ounces of dense Protein? No? Then something is wrong lol.

My stats were stRted in 2007 before I had a lapband, it was removed last June due to complications and the sleeve done in February so they look better than they are. But I've lost 20 lbs since leaving the hospital with the sleeve.

I might not be the staple for doing everything by the book, but that's not why I came here. The reason I came here is because I ate a 20oz steak and that should be physically impossible and I need to know how to bring this up to my surgeon without making him mad or making he feel like in saying he don't know what he's doing.

You say this: I was able to eat a 20oz steak in it's entirety.

I feel quite sure your Dr will have a response.

@@thomas1984 I'd just present it to him as a concern - "I was able to eat this much food and didn't feel full, is there a reason the mechanism of my sleeve didn't cause me discomfort?" That way it's coming out more as a question vs an accusation, less likely for him to be offended. Then you can discuss the size of the sleeve that he chose, if it's appropriate to "reset" the sleeve as others have mentioned, perhaps diagnostics to rule out any issues.

Good luck - I know how frustrating it can be when things aren't going as you've expected. Hopefully he has answers.

You should get a swallow test done. My doctor came in and loved it, he called it a perfect textbook sleeve. Of course I was not eating as much as I should so that's why he was concerned and I even took a picture of it. I too can eat more than I should however when I do I end up sick and throwing up so I really try not too. If I were you I'd go see him and talk to him and ask what he thinks and ask for help. Take care.

i'm not sure but as you eat past what you should it is pushed into your intestines.... Now it sounds like something is not quite right and I would go to my surgeon right away and let him know and ask him what why how etc. The sleeve can grow they said anywhere from 6 to ten ounces from what I read but 20 ounces is way over that. Go to your surgeon or another one have the tests done and find out what is going on as that would freak me out....it might not be anything wrong per se... I find weighing my food makes it impossible for me to eat too much and the one time I didnt chew enough it made me hurl... so it sounds like something is off.... To the doc with you. let me know what they say... cos I would hate to think they could mess up that bad..... I can't blame you for being upset... and concerned... I hope it goes well..

Wow, some of you are right down hateful lol. I say I was talking to my dad while eating a steak for a cook out with the intentions of only have the filet mignon side and was able to consume a 20 oz steak without realizing it and I'm blasted because something might not be wrong????

Let me ask you this, can any of you eat 20 ounces of dense Protein? No? Then something is wrong lol.

My stats were stRted in 2007 before I had a lapband, it was removed last June due to complications and the sleeve done in February so they look better than they are. But I've lost 20 lbs since leaving the hospital with the sleeve.

I might not be the staple for doing everything by the book, but that's not why I came here. The reason I came here is because I ate a 20oz steak and that should be physically impossible and I need to know how to bring this up to my surgeon without making him mad or making he feel like in saying he don't know what he's doing.

I'm late to this thread. I see that Thomas has already made an appointment with his doc. Good on ya, Thomas. :)

Thomas, I'm befuddled as to how someone who's only 4 months post-op could possibly eat 20 ounces of steak. I have to wonder if your prior lapband history before being sleeved isn't implicated in some way to your ability to eat so much dense Protein. Hell, before I was sleeved I couldn't even eat half that much steak!

As a reference point, I'm a "virgin" sleever (with no prior WLS experience before my VSG 2+ years ago). Earlier this week I had 4 ounces of steak (that's how much I'd put on my plate) and barely finished that portion. I could not have eaten any more steak if I'd tried.

Also, to Sophie's comment that WLS should ensure that we're satisfied with a single egg -- yeah, that would be lovely if it were true. But after the sleeve is healed completely, that simply doesn't seem to be the case, unless you have an exceptionally tiny sleeve or a stricture or some other unusual complication.

Finally, for those of you reading this thread who haven't been sleeved yet, please don't assume that having WLS alone will resolve all your future weight issues. Yes, the stomach restriction and ghrelin reduction from being sleeved are great aids.

But many of us arrived at the point of needing WLS because we have other underlying physical and emotional issues that must also be addressed to successfully resolve our obesity / health / overeating problems. Some of us find that psychological therapy, vitamin/mineral and other supplementation, changes in our medications, physical therapy, significant lifestyle changes, and addiction treatment may also be necessary.

Some also find they must make changes in their marital relationships, friendships, jobs or career choices, and other living arrangements to be successful long-term.

It's trite, but true: "They operate on your stomach, not your brain."

Something may be wrong- if you are able to eat a 20 oz steak after surgery. You should look into that. Get a new swallow study, get a 2nd opinion and then see where that leads info wise.. because if you go in without actual information and proof that something is wrong on the surgical end, you probably wont get very far.

Something IS wrong that you are eating a 20 oz steak after surgery, and you might want to look more into that too, instead of getting upset that people are focusing on that. Was a psych eval a mandatory part of your pre-surgical work up? You may want to make a follow up appointment, to deal with underlying issues that you may have.. causing you to need to push the limits, test your new stomach.. the sleeve is a tool, not a magic wand that takes away all of the food issues. What about your prep-- wouldn't it be a lot more reasonable that someone who's just gone through this surgery (which is no picnic) to cut and measure their food appropriate to what they should be eating? I think you're getting these reactions because that's what the majority of us are doing.. we're putting in the work of measuring our portions.. trying to do what we need to for our stomachs and bodies to heal, and to continue to lose weight. Also, beef isn't the easiest Protein for most (not all) of us to digest, so I don't think many of us could or would just sit blindly at a table with a 20 oz steak and "plan" to eat just a few ounces, without cutting the small portion off and putting it on our plate. I'm not trying to be mean, just stating that by your own post, it sounds like you need to talk to more than just your surgeon... or your surgery maybe will be for naught. Good luck!

@@thomas1984,

I am sorry you are afraid your surgeon messed up. If you want to address it with him, I would not start by accusing him. I would start by expressing your concerns. There’s a small chance your surgeon may have a reasonable explanation for the things that are making you doubt. Your surgeon may even have some advice for getting more out of your sleeve.

If you are still convinced that your surgeon messed up, you can definitely do what @@AvaFern says. Finding out exactly what size your sleeve is will give you a definite answer, and you can go from there. And, definitely get your patient records. They’re yours, and maybe seeing them will put your fears to rest or confirm them.

I would definitely go the route of gathering information before making accusations. You can accomplish the same thing, but won’t risk looking silly or making an enemy. Good luck! The important thing, no matter how you go about it, is that this works out to make you healthy and help you lose weight.

I just read this whole thread and WOW.

I stopped complaining that my 2 ounces of grits made me "grossly full".

All I can say is wow.

What happens when you eat just 4 oz of food? Do you still feel very hungry? I also weigh and measure all my portions and put on a play max of 4 oz because I can't trust my eyes/head and don't want to overeat and make myself sick.

Update: after several reschedules for verrious reason (death in family, work, dr vacation, and so on) I had an upper GI today so the surgeon could look in my stomach.

He came in the recovery room and basically said the sleeve was normal and it must be my eating habbets. I then pointed to my mother who was sitting beside me and said the. Why can I eat comfortably 6X what stuffs her and her sleeve is 2 years old.

His reply was "well your a bigger person" then got frustrated and said listen I can make it smaller if the insurance allows it, but you won't be happy with the side effects. Then turns to the nurse and said 2 weeks and walked away.

So what is your all take on all this? I guess it's normal to be able to consume LARGE amounts of dince protine after a sleeve and not feel stuffed?

Thomas