Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thoughts on amount of protein and carbs in this dish please!

I am 8 months out. The first 5 to 6 months I did great but then some bad stuff crept in. Been an emotional time. Working on getting back on track.

I am making a big pot of turkey chili. It's something I came up with after surgery that really hit the spot. I can eat this stuff almost daily and not tire of it so I decided to make it again.

Since I make a large batch I never calculated the calories, Protein, carbs etc in it. I just added up everything (math is hard!) and divided by 10. I am certain I will get way more servings than that once I portion it out when it's ready but wanted to get a rough estimate.

Your thoughts on these numbers are appreciated! 90% of the carbs are from Beans...

Calories 253

Protein 27

Carbs 19

Fiber 5

Sugar 2.8

Fat 8.6

Looks good to me!

Thanks so much everyone! I feel more confident in getting back on track with one thing at a time. This and my shake alone put me at 60 grams of Protein a day so with my third meal protein I should be good to go in that regard.

Looks great to me!

there are several websites where you can input your recipe and it will break out all the nutritional information for you (myfitness.pal for instance) I have done this with several of my recipes. It is really a useful tool

those numbers look good to me. would you mind sharing your recipe?

I would be happy to :) Note that while I love this and can eat it everyday my husband thinks its bland and gross! Hehe...

I eat it by itself or on top of lettuce with a bit of cheese and sour cream as a taco salad of sorts.

You might want to make half a batch first to make sure you like it... I make a large batch in my slow cooker. I measured it this time to calculate the nutrition and it yielded exactly 10 cups. I have a larger capacity I guess and I eat a cup as a portion.

2 packs of ground turkey - then ones I get from my grocer, Publix, are 1.3 lbs

1 packet mild chili seasoning (or spicy if you wish)

1 can of original Rotel

1 can of Rotel "Chili-Fixins" (I only use one of these and one regular because I can't tolereate spicy foods)

1 can dark red Beans

1 can light red Beans

Optional 1 more can of beans, I like black beans so I added this last round. That increased the numbers a bit but nothing terrible as it is divided by 10 portions. I can calculate those numbers if you would like.

Edited to add to just use whatever beans you like, this is just what I got in the habit of using.

What I do.... I score the turkey across so that it crumbles easier and dump it in the slowcooker with the seasoning packet and mix it up. Set it on high and just let the meat cook a bit.

Dump the two cans of Rotel and the drained cans of beans. Give it a stir and just let it cook on high for at least 4 hours or low for at least 7 or 8. That's it!

Send me a message if you have any questions :)

Edited by VDLT

I'd hit it !

I second My Fitness Pal. I've plugged in recipes to get nutritional values and it works just fine. You can also save the recipe so next time you make it you don't have to re-enter the recipe.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App