Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vitamins after Surgery

I was told that I need A complete Vitamin like Flintstone Complete or Centrum chewable 2x daily. I feel like I should be taking something more. No chewy or gummy vitamins at all. He did not say anything about Calcium however I have to take a class and they go over everything else. So my question is what are you guys taking and where is the best place to get them. Please let me know if it is liquid or Chewable or Pill form also please let me know what you guys were taking in the beginning verses months later. Also do Patches work?

Edited by MsB7

I am looking into this as well - my Vitamin to get list is a multivitamin(chewable) - calcium citrate (chewable) - B12 (chewable)...

powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury sells them for 40, 15, and 20...

I'm newly out but I take a chewable Multivitamin from GNC it has a good flavor (strawberry banana). I also take chewable Calcium from BariMelts, the flavor is okay (smooth berry). I got the calcium from Amazon. I had tried Bariatric Advantage Cherry chewable calcium and I couldn't even finish the one I started to chew it was so gross (in my opinion!).

I hope that helps!

Edited by Dashofpixiedust8

Oh and I also got a B12 under the tongue soluble pill (in cherry) from GNC and it tastes really good

Did anyone's surgeon prescribe special Vitamins or did you just get on your own?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

my doctor's plan had a list of good types of Vitamins - and Calcium. anything else is based on how your bloodwork comes back.

I bought the chewables from unjury - for right after? turns out I could have swallowed a regular pill just fine but I took them until they were used up.

Now I take a regular woman's multi. I have to take the under 40 (with iron) for now, but I am hoping by year two to switch to the ones without Iron due to not having a cycle anymore. right now I am not eating enough volume of Iron rich foods.

my 3 month bloodwork came back excellent. I don't take B 12, but I do drink Vitamin Water zero daily and so I suppose that counts as a b supplement.

My doctor prescribed Bariatric Advantage Essential Multi Vitamin, Bariatric Advantage Dry Vitamin D, Bariatric Advantage calcium citrate chewable with Vitamin D, and Bariatric Advantage Chewable Iron 29. I am hoping that I can find a more tolerable brand of Vitamins. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. I would rather not have the Vitamins that taste like chalk.

I'm taking two Flintstones Complete with Iron a day, and two Vitamin D 1000 IU. I used Flintstones immediately after surgery because they never caused any stomach upset (as most Multivitamins do for me), never broke me out (I have PCOS and am acne-prone), and could be taken without food or Water. About two months post-op I switched to these Vitamins http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Life-Vitamin-Womens-Capsules/dp/B00280M13Y and I really liked them. I went back to taking Flintstones about five months post-op simply because they are more readily available and I didn't have to make a special trip to pick them up. I briefly tried the patch, but they caused skin irritation so I gave the rest of my pack to my dad (who hasn't had that problem). My blood work has been excellent.

Taking excessive Vitamins can actually be more detrimental than beneficial. If you haven't already done so, I recommend getting your Vitamin levels checked to see where you stand before taking anything beyond what your surgeon instructed. I accidentally worsened symptoms of my PCOS a couple of years ago by taking vitamins that weren't necessary. They also caused me to have strange tingling sensations, sleep disruptions, and other issues. My endocrinologist went on a mini rant about stores like Whole Foods promoting B12 and people overloading on it without realizing that it can be harmful.

My surgeon recommended Flintstones Complete - surprisingly enough, they have more Iron and zinc in them than all of the bariatric Vitamins I looked at.

The NUT also recommended bari-melts and the Nascobal B12 Rx - it also comes with a Multivitamin, Calcium, and Iron. The only reason I didn't really look into it is because I caught Flintstones on sale and have already stocked up.

Once I run out of those, I'll switch back to a capsule (or the patch).

Try BariMelt brand which is sold on Amazon or in the Bariatric Pal Store. They are chewable and relatively inexpensive. I have had excellent bloodwork all along and I am 1 year out.

Thanks for all of the various types of Vitamin brands that are available for after the Sleeve. I appreciate hearing and will try something different that the Bariatric Advantage brand.

I have the Barimelt Calcium in smooth berry flavor and it is terrible. I take a Flintstones complete twice a day, B 12 that melts in my mouth in the morning, Calcium at noon and 7 PM, and 3000 IU's of Vitamin D later at night with my second Flintstones. I buy store brand of all my Vitamins except for Flintstones.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thanks everyone. It seems that the Flintstones Complete are very popular [emoji4] I don't want to take too many things but I thought I would have to take Calcium and B12 as well. I will see what the NUT class for Surgery advises me as well. Thanks again everyone.

Have a Wonderful day

Blessings