Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight gain after 2-3 years?

I am hopefully getting vsg in August (not scheduled yet.). My concern is that I've lost 130 lbs on my own without surgery in the past. I've since put back on half of that amount. Nothing I did to lose weight before works now so I decided to get sleeved. Will I have the same problem as the ppl who are 2-3 years out and not lose after surgery?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using the BariatricPal App

no. the sleeve makes changes to your body, not just the physical stomach portion being removed - also the hormonal factor. So you shouldn't have any problems loosing weight in the beginning months (time frame varies from patient to patient) and the dietary changes you need to make will be SO MUCH EASIER during that time. If you also use that time to work on any mental and emotional issues that drive your eating (don't we all have those?!?) you will be fine.

your weight loss prior, depending on how you managed it, may have altered your metabolism. but hey - there are things you can do to alter it upwards too. Most of us, probably the vast majority have lost, gained, lost, gained in the years leading up to WLS.

I have to agree, I had to prove I tried to lose weight on several occasions before my insurance approved me.

I had previously lost 90 pounds and regained 80. I had also had many times when I lost 25-40 pounds and regained it all. I was still able to lose weight with my sleeve. Been maintaining below goal for going on 9 months now.

I had vgs in May 2013 and quickly lost 80 lbs. sad to say in June of last year I started to regain my weight and have since regained 50 lbs. feel so defeated.

I had vgs in May 2013 and quickly lost 80 lbs. sad to say in June of last year I started to regain my weight and have since regained 50 lbs. feel so defeated.

do you still have follow up visits with your team?

maybe if you give more information people can help you get a plan together - tomorrow is always a brand new day.

The fabulous thing about the sleeve is that it never goes away. Some may choose to ignore it and eat things we shouldn't be eating, but if you choose to abide by the nutritional guidelines, your sleeve will always work with you. It doesn't "go away" after 2-3 years. So, you are in charge of the extent of your success. If you stick with the program, you will be successful in the long-term. Some do regain after a couple of years though, and some never reach their ultimate goal. It's like anything else; it all depends on the amount of work you're willing to do. I'm 3 years post op and I've been at or below goal weight since about 10 months post op. So it is totally possible. But, I did a lot of hard work, both physically and emotionally. Good luck!

Livsmum and jamie and Christian have all said what I would say, my experience has been similar to theirs. Up and down through my life now 2.5 years out and maintaining a 135lb loss. The sleeve will always be a permanent tool for you. Prior loss won't affect its impact. And make the most of the losing window of six months to a year to lose and change habits permanently!

I am hopefully getting vsg in August (not scheduled yet.). My concern is that I've lost 130 lbs on my own without surgery in the past. I've since put back on half of that amount. Nothing I did to lose weight before works now so I decided to get sleeved. Will I have the same problem as the ppl who are 2-3 years out and not lose after surgery?

I highly doubt it. I heard that you have a higher chance of gaining the weight back after you diet, than you do if you have surgery. The reason is because, when we eat a lot, our stomach stretches. The stomach (organ) does not shrink back to the size it was once it stretches out. So when you lose weight by dieting, you will still be hungry because you aren't filling your stomach completely (getting full). The only thing you can do while dieting, is learn how to manage cravings. The point of the gastric sleeve is to cut away a large amount of the stomach so that when you eat less, you feel full quickly.

This happened to me as well. I lost 30 pounds in 3 months. I gained it all back. It's not easy to keep the weight off by dieting alone.

Edited by Hiraeth

Well, the sleeve isn't a magical spell that keeps you from regaining weight.

Even though it offers restriction and (for me) keeps the production of ghrelin (hunger hormone) down, if I grazed a lot on slider foods I could expect to gain the weight back.

All the eating behaviors / rules you follow to lose the weight still apply in maintenance.

I'm another one who's lost 100 pounds and am now holding steady at 135. I'm nearly 2 years post-op at this point.

Still planning / tracking my daily menus. Still eating lots of Protein and eating it first. Still eating mostly nutritious foods. Still walking and exercising. Still taking my vitamins/minerals/supplements.

Still happy and still skinny. :)

I'm over 3 years out and on a short 8 week diet- I have an event at the end July that I want to look good for. So far I've lost about 10 lbs. Granted the first 5 lbs were probably Water. Either way, not sure why people think you can't lose weight at 3 years out, you can lose weight whenever you choose. scale this morning post-161802-14661723930057_thumb.jpg

I've lost 50lbs on my own but gain 30-40 over the period of several years. I've lost 46lbs with sleeve and hopeful that the new lifestyle changes will help to keep it off for life. . Good luck all!