Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Being denied due to weight gain...

My NUT told me not to worry about losing BUT I can see why they wouldn't want you to gain. The purpose of this time is to learn proper eating habits so they feel you will be successful post-op. I would strongly encourage you to stick with high protein/ low carb (and only healthy carbs). Cut out caloric/sugary drinks (soda, sweet tea, juice). Concentrate on eating 5-6 small meals - 3 hours in between. 50% Protein/ 50% Produce. Skip bread, Pasta and rice. No Snacks like popcorn, chips, etc. Watch sugar content - less than 5 in a serving (less than 5 gms fat too). You may not lose alot (I'm not) but you definitely shouldn't gain. You need to make significant changes now. Track everything and show NUT what you're eating. Weigh daily and see if you can find a pattern of loss/gain. Avoid sodium. Protein Shakes can be good - watch the sugar content!

Edited by KristenLe

My NUT told me not to worry about losing BUT I can see why they wouldn't want you to gain. The purpose of this time is to learn proper eating habits so they feel you will be successful post-op. I would strongly encourage you to stick with high protein/ low carb (and only healthy carbs). Cut out caloric/sugary drinks (soda, sweet tea, juice). Concentrate on eating 5-6 small meals - 3 hours in between. 50% Protein/ 50% Produce. Skip bread, Pasta and rice. No Snacks like popcorn, chips, etc. Watch sugar content - less than 5 in a serving (less than 5 gms fat too). You may not lose alot (I'm not) but you definitely shouldn't gain. You need to make significant changes now. Track everything and show NUT what you're eating. Weigh daily and see if you can find a pattern of loss/gain. Avoid sodium. Protein shakes can be good - watch the sugar content!

Thank you very much! I don't eat carbs. And if I do it's a bite. I drink Protein Shakes, one a day, and do weigh daily. That is what scares me. I'll go up and down a pound or two every night. Thank you for all of the solutions!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@achappex3 I go up and down 5 lbs during the week but thankfully still lower than my first NUT visit. My 3rd appointment is next week and I'm going to be very careful in what I eat and drink plenty of Water until I weigh in. My NUT is great though and said this is not about losing weight right now. It's about learning better eating habits.

Just do the best you can and stay hydrated so you don't retain water. I know it's discouraging - I lost only 1 lb my first month and was quite upset. Stay strong! You can do this! Oh and be sure to wear light weight clothes and shoes at weigh in! :-)

@@KristenLe that's the issue I guess. I never know when my weight will decide to go up, even when not changing my diet/continuing to do the same thing. I'm bummed and don't want to be told no after literally going up 1 month. It depresses me.

I read you changed your eating habits, excellent.. Have you added any kind of exercise?...

I would also say pay more attention to food labels, carbs can sneak in.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them"

Einstein

Edited by nyteacher125

@ I mainly just walk and run around with my girls. I average about 9000 steps a day.

I didn't have a weight amount that I had to lose, but I couldn't have a net gain. In the 4 months before surgery I didn't gain, but I didn't really lose either. Surgery day I was down 7 pounds, but I'm sure most of that was the cleanse I dId the day before. :) FOr my surgeon it was about putting into practice the habits I would need to maintain my pouch after surgery, i.e. eating more Protein, not drinking for 30 minutes on either side of food, quitting pop, exercising and eating slowly. I put those in place even if I was not losing. Part of it was showing my dedication to the changes, even if the scale wasn't reacting correctly.

You can do it. You have time to make the changes necessary.

pam

Hi mngreeneyes, I noticed you profile was close to mines. I also like the pace you are losing I hope I'm that lucky. I didn't however know you're not suppose to drink before you mean for at least 30 mins. I knew about after, which isn't that bad but I'm constantly thirsty. I sip on my Water all day or I get dry mouth, I've been that way for years now.

@@nyseness

Yes, you are not supposed to drink for 30 minutes before you eat either on my plan. Their concern is that if you drink before you will not have room in your pouch for food when its time to eat.

Not all surgeons and centers have the same rules, but that following it is one that my center says will predict keeping the weight off. I haven't found it hard to do, but I started practicing it immediately.

I too am constantly drinking Water. I get my Water in fairly easily, but I also can drink larger amounts than many. I can actually take swallows of water instead of just sips and have been almost from the beginning.

pam

there is a lot of good advice here - Premier shakes are an excellent source of Protein - low carbs and low sugar. Also watch your salt intake as it can help you hold on to Water. Try to make sure you eat 60-80 grams of Protein a day - eat your protein first, then veggies, then any carbs - and as someone said - make sure they are good carbs.

I put myself on a 1200 calorie diet about 4 months before surgery. --logged every single bite of food I ate - even if it was something I probably should not have eaten. In addition, I ramped up my exercise - 9000 steps a day is awesome - but sometimes you just need to change it up a bit. I did Water aerobics - but whatever is fun for you would be great!

My doctor didn't have a specified amount of weight to lose - but I feel sure that if I had gained during the liquid diet right before surgery that he would not have done the surgery. They are looking for commitment to a changed way of life. Fortunately for me, my 1200 calorie diet - with an emphasis on 60-80 grams of protein and 60-80 ounces of water a day worked for me. I lost 30 lbs. before my surgery.

@@nyseness - the 30 minutes is both before and after you eat - you don't want to wash your food down; you will get hungry faster and want to eat more.

My doctor isn't the issue. It was my nut and she says they could.

I have united healthcare if anybody could relate

My doctor isn't the issue. It was my nut and she says they could.

I have united healthcare if anybody could relate

I have absolutely heard of surgeries being denied because of weight gain during 6 month supervised weight loss program. I have also heard of surgeon's postponing surgery until more weight was lost (if the person had a requirement from their Program).

I guess I'm just going to stop stressing it. My surgeon had said nothing bout it, and from what I've looking up united still accepts. I'm hoping this is the case.

Thanks

Maybe I'll try that. When I told her that I drank Protein shakes she freaked, and told me that they're full of sugar. Any brands you recommend? I'm just hoping that this won't stop me from having the surgery. The last thing I need is to be too fat to get help...

I have a nutriblend and I make my own shakes. I use 1 frozen banana sliced up into about six pieces, Usweetened vanilla almond milk, 1 Tbsp Peanut Butter, 1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder,splash of unsweetened vanilla Syrup and a heaping scoop of Mocha Protein Powder. It is sooooooooo yummy!! When I started drinking one of these a day and doing 30 mins/day on a stationary bike three times a week it started to kick start things for me. Give it a try!

It is important for you to be empowered to advocate for yourself. I am always amazed at how some folks will try to "scare" you into compliance. Nutritionists that are not familiar with the particulars of bariatric surgery can be very frustrating. The stress hormone cortisol could be working against you. Keep eating right and moving, you will get there.

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

It is important for you to be empowered to advocate for yourself. I am always amazed at how some folks will try to "scare" you into compliance. Nutritionists that are not familiar with the particulars of bariatric surgery can be very frustrating. The stress hormone cortisol could be working against you. Keep eating right and moving, you will get there.

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

Thank you so much for that! I think that's exactly what she was trying to do. I'm not worried. I will be happy and smile! It's my time.