Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First time on a elliptical :( it was a Nightmare

I went to the gym for the first with a trainer he told me to do 30 minutes on the elliptical

I am like that's easy...well I go to get on almost fall some people laughed but that's ok..But when he said ok start I could only do like 40seconds then I would stop a wet then start again...I am so up set that I couldn't even do a minute :( I can walk 30minutes with no problems.. I will go back Wednesday not giving up

any time you start something new it's like that - you'll get there!

30 minutes on an elliptical is hard... Having worked with trainers in the past they often push you which you want... Yet they need to be mindful of clients level of fitness... Please have a discussion with him about wanting to be pushed balanced with you fitness level... Hope you didn't pay him for the 30 minutes you spent on the elliptical.. I tell the trainer our session don't need to include cardio, don't need a pay a babysitter to watch me do cardio.. I want them to help me with free weights etc...

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them"

Einstein

I went to the gym for the first with a trainer he told me to do 30 minutes on the elliptical

I am like that's easy...well I go to get on almost fall some people laughed but that's ok..But when he said ok start I could only do like 40seconds then I would stop a wet then start again...I am so up set that I couldn't even do a minute :( I can walk 30minutes with no problems.. I will go back Wednesday not giving up

Don't be discouraged. I will never forget my first time on the elliptical. I think I did 2 minutes but I literally wanted to stop at 1 minute. I didn't because my husband was watching and I was too embarrassed. At 2 minutes though I thought I was going to throw up or pass out so I quit.

Every couple days I added a little more time. It took a few weeks to get up to 20 minutes.

I now do it on the highest resistance while I carry 5 lb hand weights in each hand for 30 to 45 minutes. Do I enjoy it? Honestly no because it kicks my butt and I sweat so much I might actually evaporate, but I do it regularly. I tell that machine I hate it every time I go downstairs to it. Truthfully though, It's a great work out that is gentle on my hips.

It takes time. Don't be discouraged. We all start somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

Wow I would love to do 40 minutes one day....I didn't pay him he is a friend from church but I do wish I was doing something a little easier....But I am trying again Wednesday :)

40 minutes on the elliptical is a long time!!!!! The first time I got on my elliptical I only made it 3 minutes and I had to stop. I thiught I was going to die lol. I kept at it though, and everyday the first week i made myself do 5 minutes. The next week I added 5 more minutes.. so I did 10 minutes each day.. eventually made it up to 40 minutes but it took me 8 weeks to get there. You can do it :)

Sent from my SM-G925P using the BariatricPal App

We all have to start somewhere. I've been there and remember it well. Don't worry too much though, I do an hour with a 10 incline and 5 resistance after dead lifts and squats.

Granted I am over a year out and go to the gym religiously.

Sent from my phone, please forgive brevity and misspelling

I was the same way you were. Now I can do an hour if I wanted. You are going to be amazed in a month how much longer you'll be able to do! It's all about building up to it. Running is the same way :)

@@Join7l7

Way to go~!

You are stronger than you think you are. Its hard to get out of your comfort zone but its sooooo worth it. Good luck Wednesday~

hqdefault.jpg

The first time for any gym equipment is cause for celebration and some laughter. The first time I got on the elliptical, the staff available to answer questions, etc., wasn't around and I had no idea about adjusting the settings. I began pumping and, with each pump, felt that I was going to go flying off in all directions. It turned out that the resistance was set at about zero. A staff member came along, set the machine, and I continued feeling as though I would stay on solid ground. Somehow I managed about 10 minutes.

You'll be a champion.

Your post made me laugh.

Laugh hard.

And all at myself.

My first time on the elliptical was a hoot. I was all pumped up and ready to go......right.

It took longer to unravel the cords on my earbuds and select some proper tunes than it did on my maiden voyage on that elliptical. It took two weeks to get the courage to hop on that beast again.

Now......my ginormously fat arse can rock it until the thing cries "Uncle".....and you will, too.

Your trainer was a jerk trying to put you on there for 30 mins on your first run. Proceed with caution with this trainer.......

I have horrible (horrible) knees. As in they both need to be replaced which is why I'm on this journey. I can't do 5 minutes on an elliptical. However, for the last 2 weeks most of my workout has been an 55 minutes on an elliptical bike (easier for my knee pain) while watching episodes of Breaking Bad. (I never watched it and now only let myself on Netflix for it when I'm at the gym.) I'd die after 10 minutes. It will get easier over time. Make up a good playlist that will keep you going. YOU CAN DO IT>

You are right going back to the gym tomorrow not giving :)

Thank you all for your reply and support helps me not to give up :)