Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

@@sanjumelts

When I'm on any forum... I choose what I want to read and what I respond to....I'm just not that sensitive.(.I got my big girl panties on ;)) Much more important things to focus on in life.

I honestly wish you success with your surgery,

Jenn

Everyone is different. I'm 8 months out and I can't even consume an 80 calorie container of yogurt in one sitting. I do find if you are questioning yourself, you are probably doing that for a specific reason. Just ask your surgeon. He knows you the very best. On a side note I'm not about removing all food options from our diet. It's about being smart and mindful.

Just a question to clarify. Why did you stop at half? Were you full at that point? Or at least satisfied? If yes, then I would say everything seems to be the way it should be in terms of restriction and how much you can eat. I think we can all eat if we eat, take a break then eat again. That's what we call grazing.

So, the thing to think about is whether or not to start back up again after a break. If that's what your plan is then everything seems just fine. Nothing to worry about except to make a note to yourself that you can eat more than your plan allow by spacing it out and taking breaks.

Biggest thing I have learned is not to eat until FULL. I eat until I am no longer hungry. That has made a dramatic difference.

Just a question to clarify. Why did you stop at half? Were you full at that point? Or at least satisfied? If yes, then I would say everything seems to be the way it should be in terms of restriction and how much you can eat. I think we can all eat if we eat, take a break then eat again. That's what we call grazing.

So, the thing to think about is whether or not to start back up again after a break. If that's what your plan is then everything seems just fine. Nothing to worry about except to make a note to yourself that you can eat more than your plan allow by spacing it out and taking breaks.

Biggest thing I have learned is not to eat until FULL. I eat until I am no longer hungry. That has made a dramatic difference.

Yes this is exactly how I felt. I naturally just stopped eating. I guess I was satisfied. So this is definitely my first experience with grazing and how bad it can be. Thank you!

Best,

Sanju

@@sanjumelts, I am only a month out and I tend to over eat sometimes so that question was good. I was a little taken aback at the first response too, but I know kindle is a good advisor and probably didn't mean for it to sound judgmental or condescending, but anyhoo. I sometimes can feel that I've eaten too much in one sitting, even if it's no bread, Pasta, rice, etc (haven't had any of those things yet) but to the point of where I do feel full. A 6" Flatbread from subway (used to LOVE subway and would get more than one footlong to consume in a short period sometimes) doesn't seem like that much to me. I suppose that's why we are told not to consume bread if we are in the losing stage, coz it has a lot of carbs without as many nutrients. I don't work out yet and I probably could have eaten that sandwich. I would have been really full though I think. A 4oz chicken breast and some veggies would have been about the same, but less filling because of the bread. Who knows? Do what works for you and remember, there's no tone in text so sometimes we perceive one to be rude or hateful when it's really only our own perception.

Good things come to good people.

I am a week short of 2 months out and feel like I could eat more now.

For example, I just had a 6" turkey breast flatbread with onions, green pepper and tomatoes with a tiny bit of honey mustard from subway.

I ate 3" took a break and ate the other 3" about a half hour later.

Did I eat to large of a meal? And did I eat the other half to soon?

Best,

Sanju

Well, first of all you ate bread. One of the #1 postop rules is no bread, Pasta, rice, or simple carbs during the losing phase. And secondly, yes, that's a boatload of food. I'm 2 1/2 years out and can't eat that much (and I STILL wouldn't eat that much bread even if I could). Weren't you given a diet plan with portion guidelines? Told about grazing? Your sleeve can only do so much. What and how frequently you eat are still your responsibility.

Don't mean to preach, but if you want the simple answers to your questions, they are "yes" and "yes".

Okay,

1. My doctor allows my 40-60 carbs a day because I train as a wrestler. Your guidelines are yours.

2. A "boatload" of food for you, you cannot eat that much. But for me, I just did. I do not feel like I'm uncomfortably full, I feel normal. Don't apply your situation to everyone else when giving advice.

3. Your style of "advice" is not advice, it is condescending. People come here for advice, not to be parented and looked down upon. We are all adults.

4. I track everything. Calories in, calories out. Macros, and micros. My question was simple in nature. If you thought it was too much, too quick, all you needed to do was leave your last bit. You could hold off on the rest.

Best,

Sanju

Sooooo....

If you are so sure, why did you bother to ask?

I never stated that I am sure. I said that I was able to eat it, and I did not feel uncomfortable in anyway. I also stated in my second reply that I will take the proportions advice seriously, as for some reason I am able to eat more without feeling the way most of the community may have felt post wls.

Best,

Sanju

Just because you CAN eat it, doesn't mean you should. I mean, I could eat a whole bag of chips today if I wanted to. I could eat a whole pizza over the course of two days. I could eat an entire package of Oreos if I took frequent breaks.

I could wash all of it down with sweet tea, soda, fruit juice or any other calorie laden drink, too.

;)

Ok... Imma' break down what **I FEEL** happened here. First, you asked a question that you seemingly knew the answer to:

I am a week short of 2 months out and feel like I could eat more now.

For example, I just had a 6" turkey breast flatbread with onions, green pepper and tomatoes with a tiny bit of honey mustard from subway.

I ate 3" took a break and ate the other 3" about a half hour later.

Did I eat to large of a meal? And did I eat the other half to soon?

Best,

Sanju

A successful WLS patient gave you a thoughtful, detailed answer based on what you had posted in your original post:

Well, first of all you ate bread. One of the #1 postop rules is no bread, Pasta, rice, or simple carbs during the losing phase. And secondly, yes, that's a boatload of food. I'm 2 1/2 years out and can't eat that much (and I STILL wouldn't eat that much bread even if I could). Weren't you given a diet plan with portion guidelines? Told about grazing? Your sleeve can only do so much. What and how frequently you eat are still your responsibility.

Don't mean to preach, but if you want the simple answers to your questions, they are "yes" and "yes".

You clearly did not care for the answer you got, so you added more information and what felt like justification for your meal decision:

Okay,

1. My doctor allows my 40-60 carbs a day because I train as a wrestler. Your guidelines are yours.

2. A "boatload" of food for you, you cannot eat that much. But for me, I just did. I do not feel like I'm uncomfortably full, I feel normal. Don't apply your situation to everyone else when giving advice.

3. Your style of "advice" is not advice, it is condescending. People come here for advice, not to be parented and looked down upon. We are all adults.

4. I track everything. Calories in, calories out. Macros, and micros. My question was simple in nature. If you thought it was too much, too quick, all you needed to do was leave your last bit. You could hold off on the rest.

Best,

Sanju

Because many of us see exactly this sort of behavior around here and it gets a bit tiresome, you got a more blunt response:

Oh goody! Is this the thread where the newbie comes in and asks a question and then gets all huffy when they don't like the answer?

I thought so.

You got offended, threw out some insults and got a bit huffy. :)
Haha well I was ready to pass this as miscommunication but after reading what the great, high ranked, bariatric God @@Babbs has to say about this, and viewing that my original respondent liked such a immature response of this sort, I can whole heartedly say that there was no miscommunication.

This is the definition of shaming someone for being new, and stereotyping me as part of a group I did not know existed.

This is immaturity, and says a lot about someone's character.

At any given point there are more new members than old members. And at one point, the old members were new members. So, everone, quit passing judgment and putting yourself higher than others.

Best,

Sanju

You can't have your cake and it eat it, too. Or you can. Your choice.

Either way, in a forum like this, there are a variety of opinions, communication styles and levels support. Some people coddle, some help justify, some exude warm fuzzy, some are blunt. Take what you need, leave the rest. Remember, the answers aren't just for you, but for other readers current and future, as well.

Best!

I'm really surprised you could eat that much at not quite two months post op. I was not physically capable. Even now, after 4 years I could probably only eat about half of the half. did you get any wanting signs from your body that you were over eating? My nose starts running, and then I start sneezing uncontrollably for three minutes when I take one bite too much.

Every one's surgeon does have a different eating plan afterwards. My surgeon didn't restrict any foods, even bread, once I was cleared for eating regular food again. I chose to not eat bread for the first year, aka the honeymoon period, because I wanted to make the most out of my sleeve. I paid $14k and I was gonna get my money's worth.

I don't feel like anyone was here was condescending or trying to demean you. The veterans here have good advice to give. They want you to succeed with your surgery.

You did ask, you may not always like the answers you get, but I think many need to hear the truth not platitudes, especially just starting out.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Okay, enough with the whole Dr. Phil crap. We ask a lot of questions on this forum and get a lot of answers. I have yet to see anyway say "thanks" after being shamed. Yes, you can freely lecture others. You can also fart in a restaurant. Those around you generally feel the same in either case!

In terms of the OP's question:

1. I'm not sure how big a 6" flatbread is, but it sounds like less than a large slice of bread in terms of carb volume - I think many of us could eat one slice of bread 2 months post opt. We'd be full, but we could get it down.

2. No two sleeves are the same and men seem to have more capacity than women. I've been topping out at about 8 ounces of dense food since month 3.

3. You're volume capacity will change from day to day. One day, you find yourself eating a normal skinny girl meal. The next day, you'll feel full after a small yogurt.

4. I'm an old pizza fan and enjoy a slice or a flatbread every month or so. When I do, I know I'm ingesting a "forbidden fruit", so I savor and contemplate every bite.

To me, the key is logging everything and watching the carb to Protein ratio. I also find that bad days start with too many carbs too early in the day.

Good luck...

Edited by Cape Crooner

Shamed? :eye roll:

You can't control the words of others, you can only control your reaction. I've never felt "shamed" by a stranger on the Internet, or for that matter, anyone.

1. I'm not sure how big a 6" flatbread is, but it sounds like less than a large slice of bread in terms of carb volume - I think many of us could eat one slice of bread 2 months post opt. We'd be full, but we could get it down.

A flatbread is 6" long, it has 220 calories, 5 grams of fat and 37 carbs. It's significantly bigger than a slice of bread.

Three years out, I could probably eat it over the course of the day, I choose not to. It's not on MY diet plan nor is it a nutritional priority *for me*.

Everyone has the right to make their own choices, just as everyone has the right to answer the questions asked. :D

Thanks for the answer guys, back to giving this lecture!

If anyone is interested in sitting in on a college level comp sci/logic theory course I teach and is in the nyc area, message me!

Best,

Sanju

Thanks for the answer guys, back to giving this lecture!

If anyone is interested in sitting in on a college level comp sci/logic theory course I teach and is in the nyc area, message me!

Best,

Sanju

Oh! Is this where we get to list our educational/professional credentials? Is that akin to whipping it out and measuring? How fun! I call front row view!!

Sanju....I cannot speak from experience of a sleeve, but I do know being a gastric bypass patient, I can eat more some days then others. Maybe contact your Drs office and see if there is a reason to be concerned? Best of luck to you! We are all on the same journey here...lose weight and get healthy! There is no such thing as One Size Fits All...in my opinion [emoji4]