Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I proactively prevent hair loss PRIOR to surgery?

I looked up Hair loss, and I know the basics, but I'm wondering if anyone has successfully proactively prevented hair loss?

I'm looking at a couple of options for Shampoo and conditioner - Nioxin is obviously the gold standard, but I've also been looking at OGX Niacin3+ caffiene and OGX Thick and Full Biotin & collagen which I have seen mentioned on a couple of VSG blogs.

I'm currently taking a Hair, Skin and Nail supplement with 5000mcg of Biotin, argan oil, and other fancy stuff. Its in capsule form so I plan on switching to a Gummy after surgery. I didn't lose much when I had my lap band, so I am hopeful, and I know it's different for everyone, but I'm wondering if anyone specifically took supplements and new shampoos/conditioners prior with good results?

not everyone looses hair. So far, at almost 4 months I have not.

I eat eggs. almost every day. full of good for your hair nutrients. I take my Vitamins.

I am loosing at a reasonable and steady pace -

it isn't just me not being prone to it as I went through a very traumatic stress several years ago and lost a LOT of hair. I am just not letting this process stress me out (too awfully much)

and maybe I will still loose it, dunno. but so far not. I get plenty of Protein and fluids. I get exercise every day (circulation)

I use hair care products that help prevent breakage, have since the above mentioned time when I did loose a lot of hair. I have very thin, baby fine hair, so I am prepared to buy a wig if mine falls out.

@@duckydoom From what I've read - there's no sure fire way of preventing hair loss. I think it is either going to happen or not going to happen. I plan on doing everything possible to avoid it but not going to stress about it. My Mom has alopecia and has worn a wig for my entire life - so I've been researching this since day one. From what I've found - it does grow back at least.

I feel you might not be able to prevent hair loss but you can treat the hair you have better... Sulfate free shampoos are excellent for the hair, it also prevents color from fading...

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them"

Einstein

I started doing the Vitamins, volume Shampoo, and making sure to meet Protein goals three months prior to surgery and I have had minimal loss. I am 8 months out at this point and the only difference in my hair is that it's a bit dry sometimes.

I only experienced minimal hair loss, but I've lost weight at the rate of an injured turtle. I think those who lose a more substantial amount of weight at a faster rate tend have more Hair loss. I've been using SLS products for years because my dermatologist recommended them back in college to help reduce the risk of acne breakouts, and they also are less damaging to your hair. Loreal has a line that is readily available at most stores, and very reasonably priced. I also really recommend Nioxin's Shampoo. I haven't cared as much for their conditioners, so I mainly use the shampoo and then a Loreal SLS free conditioner. I use a hair mask, or if I'm out of one coconut oil, once a week for deeper nourishment.

I did take collagen for a couple of months based on a post I read on here recommending it, and saw an improvement in my skin but not a perceptible difference in my hair. I bought it on Amazon.

I never took Biotin or any other Vitamins that claim to benefit your hair because many can cause acne. I have PCOS and have be really careful. I do take Vitamin D, which definitely helps with Hair growth, and a Multivitamin. I also try to get enough Protein in, and drink plenty of Water. I was struggling for a while to meet my Protein goals, and adding in GENEPRO as a supplement (I'd never recommend it as a standalone source of sustenance or protein) helped me out.

I'm really hoping the universe does indeed feel kind towards me. It's just one of those teeny details that I'm freaking out about beforehand for no good reason. I'm starting with the OGX shampoos for now, and hooking up with my hair stylist to get some Nioxin3 in the next few weeks.

@@duckydoom, I've been hit by the hair-loss wand, but not necessarily related to weight loss. My best advice to you -- and by all means rely on my being freaked by hair loss -- is to put the worries on a back burner. The main thing is to take care of things you can control first and face the others as they arise. You can't really stop what may be coming down the pike even if it's a locomotive. Since you mentioned hairdresser, trust that a new cut can help with the way things look if they do get bleak.

I can't edit my post, but I wanted to correct this sentence: "I've been using SLS products for years because my dermatologist recommended them back in college to help reduce the risk of acne breakouts, and they also are less damaging to your hair." I neglected to add the word free after SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulfate). Oopsie daisies. I've been trying to avoid all products containing SLS for a few years for the benefit of my skin and my hair.

If you are going to lose you are going to lose. It's just your body's response to surgery and nothing you can do about it. I never took any Biotin or used any special products and I never lost a single strand of hair. I did always meet or exceed Protein goals and I never spent one minute stressing about potential hairloss, so maybe that's the way to go....

I'm used to keeping up my Protein, so hopefully that helps. I have really fine hair, so any bit of loss shows. I've been looking at different Protein powders and unflavored mixes to add in.

Sent from my VS990 using the BariatricPal App

@@WLSResources/ClothingExch Got it. :D

I'm just neurotic, and quite good at beating topics to death lol