Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I can tell you what not to buy! Do not buy too much of anything!! I wish I had only bought one can of Protein powder. I got two. Now 3 months later, the second one is still sitting in the cabinet. I am unlikely to ever use it. The second box of sugar free popsicles is still taking up space in the freezer. I have half a case of Isopure clear drinks that are taking up a giant chunk of space in the fridge. I will likely toss all of that stuff and it was expensive. So the best advice I can give you is to keep it minimal and not overbuy anything. You will be out and about in a matter of days (I was shopping at the mall two days after getting out of the hospital) and can get anything you may find you need then.

I recently posted my 5 day post op activity. You can see it here:

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/369522-what-to-expect-day-1-post-op/#entry4177151

I agree! I was so excited that I basically went out and bought all kinds of things that I haven't used yet. My mind still thinks that I need to buy large quantities of things and then it just sits.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I have adjusted pretty well. I used to stock the cabinets and freezer, but I barely buy anything at the grocery now. I go often and buy just the things I will need for a few days. When I buy meats, I portion everything out and freeze it. And now that a portion is one small chop, one piece of chicken, one this or one that, a package of whatever kind of meat is good for several meals! It's kinda fun getting to use the express checkout lanes and getting out of the grocery store for just $20-30 bux. And it's a lot less stuff to lug home and put away. Of course this doesn't work if you're feeding a family but .. I'm not :)

@@Shaydi.Laine I love the story of you recovery, makes it sound so simple... What state are you in?

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them"

Einstein

@

NH and thanks :) it really was pretty simple and uneventful. Honestly aside from getting reallllyyyyy tired of liquids and dying to eat something solid (which I did not do till my nut gave the ok), and a bit of discomfort while rolling over in bed (mainly just the first week) I can't recall much "recovery" at all. Like most people, I imagine, I was expecting to be splayed out on the sofa for weeks, moaning and groaning. LOL That was not the case at all. I was back to my life lickity split. And really, a little major surgery isn't going to stop ME from shopping. Oh hell no!

I hope that post helps calm some pre-op nerves out there! :)

I'm still pre-op, looks like surgery may happen next month.. Paperwork is still getting in other.. Like any other normal person I'm afraid of pain... I'm thankful for your sharing your positive story... How has your weight loss gone?

I'll having to keep using shopping as a motivator in mind

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them"

Einstein

Edited by nyteacher125

I'm still pre-op, looks like surgery may happen next month.. Paperwork is still getting in other.. Like any other normal person I'm afraid of pain... I'm thankful for your sharing your positive story... How has your weight loss gone?

I'll having to keep using shopping as a motivator in mind

My weight loss has gone very well. 17 pounds the first month, 12 pounds the second month. I'm almost 12 weeks out now and total 34 pounds lost since surgery. Nearly 50 pounds gone since my initial weigh in, and only 36 more to go. I've lost 7 inches off my waist, i have almost no hips/butt left whatsoever. (I wish that part would stop shrinking LOL) Squeezed myself into a pair of size 5/6 capris I bought yesterday (tho admittedly they run large) and they look amazeballs on me :) Have had a couple of nice stalls, which are as annoying to me as they are to anyone else, but i understand the science.. and I AM a professional dieter after all so I do know the drill. This ain't my first rodeo. I just hope it's my last!!

Shopping is an awesome motivator. Buy stuff that doesn't fit and keep trying it on until it does! Will help keep you on track and away from the evil carbs. I started out wearing 1x, 2x .. and now I wear medium to large depending on cut and manufacturer. My largest jeans were size 18, now I wear 7/8 & 9/10 (plus my fake 5/6 capris) My goal is a real 5/6 in jeans.

PS. start lifting weights as soon as you are allowed (starting now can't hurt either) Muscle increases metabolism and seeing muscle definition in my arms and legs now (instead of flabby flab) is just awesome. I know I'm trading fat for muscle which weighs more, so I'm not dwelling on weight as much as i am inches right now.

Edited by Shaydi.Laine

Well foo, somehow the quote ended up looking like part of my post and I can't fix it. Can't say I'm a fan of the time limit on editing posts.

Post op there are three things that were huge helps for me:

1) an uber comfortable recliner. Love it. Bought it just for the surgery and am so glad I did. Yup, it's ugly as hell, wife hates it.....I couldn't care less.......love it. My comfort zone !!!

2) 30 oz Yeti cup. Keeps ice Water iced down for 24 hours or more. I doesn't sweat, either. Keep your ice Water close at hand everywhere you go.

3) A thin pre-mixed Protein shake.......Premier Protein was my winner, here. Pre-op found me liking the thicker ones.....thin was the order of the day post-op.

I'm 15 days pre op. Is there anything you wish you had done at home or bought prior to surgery that would have made your post op easier? Any advice would be appreciated. The one thing I would recommend is to purchase Gas X it helps and the sugar free Jello it comes in handy really!????????

I'm scheduled for VGS 5/20/16 and am on day 8 of liquid diet. I was wondering if anyone else had weight issues (other than why we're having surgery LOL).

My weight fluctuates 5-8 lbs from morning to morning.

@@DRene YES. my weight can vary by 5-6 pounds depending on Constipation or hormones. it is Water. I have to remind myself that the goal here is loosing FAT, and to disregard the Water weight but it can be annoying. ;-)

sometimes if it is really bothering me I enter my workouts into mapmywalk and my food and see that I am clearly not gaining fat and then I feel better.