Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Probably not the best question to ask, but here I go...

It's probably discouraged by most people, but what is going to be your last meal (or meals) before you get the surgery? (I obviously don't mean RIGHT before, lol, I know there is a diet to go on to shrink the liver. I'm talking about way before surgery)
I want to have two last meals, not necessarily two days in a row.
I want KFC because it will probably be the last time in my life that I will ever taste the colonel's original recipe! =)
And I would like a fat, juicy steak and a lobster tail from Outback.
So what about you?

One of my meals was Taco Bell, the other a large amount of Chinese food!

Can't wait until I can eat some healthy version of Chinese food!

I am scheduled for surgery in a month ( July 6) so I am weaning off sugars and flours ... Already been off soda for 3 months. Just trying to get my head right so I can do this "right". Although I totally understand.... Every darn commercial has me thinking I want what they advertise. But I resist. In Jesus' name, I resist!!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

In Jesus' name huh? lol
Well it sounds like you're very determined with having quit soda already! You're really preparing yourself! You're one of the ones who will probably keep it off for good years after surgery! Very inspiring!

And Taco Bell! Forgot about that lol! I probable will get a couple of little Mexi Melts from there. Those are my favorites. They're such an old item I don't think they're even on the menu anymore! But they're really good =)

food funerals are a normal, natural step down the WLS road. I went on quite the bender before my 2-week preop diet... all my favorite fast food places, bbq but the big one was a dozen Cajun wings and cheese fries from wing stop.

Don't think of it like "the last time in my life I have..." because it very likely will not be the last time. It might be a year or more before you have some of those things, but WLS is a tool to help you achieve lifelong healthy habits.

I'll probably have a big Pasta meal - chicken pasta carbonara or fettuccine Alfredo. I have been doing well pre-surgery but I'm sure I'll break once or twice before.

With crusty Italian bread with butter! Lol

Edited by KristenLe

And it's OK to have food funerals! Just don't do it for two straight weeks every meal

We all have our need for a fix- mine came during a road trip I took two weeks prior to surgery. From Chicago to Dallas by way of St. Louis. Had a Dairy Queen dipped cone every day! Large!!! And from there it was a huge juicy Texas steak, pulled pork BBQ and a big burrito. The rest of the time I ate healthfully, drank Protein shakes and really took it easy at the stadiums by eating before we went.

Enjoy it- but know you may not even WANT some of those things post op. I'm still dying for a steak, but too afraid to try it yet. I'm barely dipping my toes 10 weeks post op in ground beef.

I hate to break it to you, but there really is no LAST meal. I have not restricted myself from anything, because the more your voice says no, the mind says yes. I eat steak all the time, just has to be med rare, I have eaten Taco Bell, off, and Dairy Queen. It is not about removing food you like, but being cautious and reasonable about how often and how much you eat. By about your 6-8 month you will find yourself testing foods. Just know that the nice 8oz steak you used to be able to eat may now only be 2 oz, and that ice cream you loved, will still taste great, but may make you RUN to the bathroom. The only food I really cannot eat is bread and I think that's because it clumps together and is too heavy for my stomach.

It's probably discouraged by most people, but what is going to be your last meal (or meals) before you get the surgery? (I obviously don't mean RIGHT before, lol, I know there is a diet to go on to shrink the liver. I'm talking about way before surgery)

I want to have two last meals, not necessarily two days in a row.

I want KFC because it will probably be the last time in my life that I will ever taste the colonel's original recipe! =)

And I would like a fat, juicy steak and a lobster tail from Outback.

So what about you?

My "last meal" was Mexican.

It really isn't your last meal but I can understand the feeling. The last few months before surgery I didn't really have food funerals, but I did choose my food more carefully. I tried to eat more good food and avoid cheap, crappy fast food.

Mine was spaghetti with turkey meat sauce. A little fast food the week before surgery but nothing major. I went to a nice restaurant and had lamb the monday before. I wasn't required to do a preop (Dr. Atkinson, Las Vegas) so my "last hurrah" went on all week, in moderation. I am now four weeks post op and those foods don't tempt me. I still eat a LITTLE too much sometimes, but only good stuff like Protein rich chicken, and cooked veggies. Yesterday I made a crockpot meal to freeze. It was chicken breast cut up, asparagus, Brussel sprouts, carrots, red pepper, onion, garlic, Rosemary. Chicken broth and seasonings. Sooo good but I had two helpings (small, but still really filling). I felt like I overdid it. Fast food doesn't tempt me, yet anyway. It was a habit to get out of because I used to pick some up almost every night. I also don't eat bread or Pasta yet. I have no room for empty calories either.

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

OK, so I am now just a little over 2 weeks post op... WingStop is my ALL TIME favorite place for wings... and one day, I shall walk in there and order the cajun rub and garlic Parmesan wings... no fries... but definitely the wings. I may only eat a couple of them, but I shall eat those again

Oh my...

I also did the whole food funeral thing... mexican food was high on my list, because I really don't see myself eating baskets of chips anytime in my future. I have asked that we just avoid all mexican food places for the foreseeable future. I also had fried chicken at a local place called Eischens in Okarchee, OK., Wings and fries from Wingstop, fried homemade porkchops... I don't even remember now. I'm not a fastfood/chain restaurant kind of person though, so with the exception of Popeyes Chicken, I can't remember wanting any of that.

You will have the ability to eat all of this again. What I'm learning from the 'pros', is that we have to get our brains caught up with our stomachs now, before our stomachs are able to eat all of this stuff again

I've heard it put, "They operate on our stomachs, not our brains", and I know it's true. We have to work on our brains hard and forever!

Food funerals are a normal, natural step down the WLS road. I went on quite the bender before my 2-week preop diet... all my favorite fast food places, bbq but the big one was a dozen Cajun wings and cheese fries from wing stop.

Don't think of it like "the last time in my life I have..." because it very likely will not be the last time. It might be a year or more before you have some of those things, but WLS is a tool to help you achieve lifelong healthy habits.

I am on the preop diet now and the week before I started we ate my favorite meals. I know that it isn't a last meal but I do know that it will be quite a long time before I eat them again so it was kind of a see you later and you might be changed to be a bit healthier and smaller when we meet again.

Things I ate last week that might not be post op options:

Cake- I love cake and I know that it will probably be a bit of an issue post op

Pizza- not a fav food but I like it and know it will be toppings only for a bit

Burger bun and all- Say what you will about just eating the patty but I will miss the whole experience.

chicken Fried Rice- I know lots of people have issues with rice so I ate this just in case.

It all sounds very good! Yes, I know I will be able to eat these foods eventually, but I won't be able to eat them for a very long time. So it is a food funeral to me. =)