Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I haven't gotten the surgery yet, but I've been eating better and exercising in preparation for my new life. I went to the dr today and I lost another 5 pounds! That makes 21 pounds in total since the beginning of the year! It gives me hope that I'll be able to stick to eating right, years after my surgery and when my stomach has stretched to a bigger size. The only reason why I'm getting the surgery and not just losing it on my own is because I am not consistent and I always fall back to eating bad. I need to surgery so that for 2 years afterwards I am forced to get into the habit of eating right. Then after the first 2 years it will just be a way of life for me.

Anyway, I'm really happy that I've stuck to it for this long =)

Amen sista

That's why we are all here :)

We've all been in your shoes.

You can do it.

Good luck to you.

You will be successful in finishing this wl journey :)

Edited by heather5565

I really feel like I will be! What just worries me is getting denied. Like I watch My 600 Pound Life and there are so many people who don't take it seriously. They think the surgery is like magic and they won't have to do any work to lose the weight! They cheat constantly and so they don't lose any weight and then they have the nerve to wonder why! But THEY get approved for the surgery yet here I am reading everything I can so I can get the most out of it and I'm probably gonna be one of the ones that is denied.
I might be worried for nothing, but wouldn't that just be how it would go ironically? lol!

Good luck on your upcoming surgery. Let us know if we can be of any help.

Good job on the current losing and getting your mind focused on doing so.

I haven't gotten the surgery yet, but I've been eating better and exercising in preparation for my new life. I went to the dr today and I lost another 5 pounds! That makes 21 pounds in total since the beginning of the year! It gives me hope that I'll be able to stick to eating right, years after my surgery and when my stomach has stretched to a bigger size. The only reason why I'm getting the surgery and not just losing it on my own is because I am not consistent and I always fall back to eating bad. I need to surgery so that for 2 years afterwards I am forced to get into the habit of eating right. Then after the first 2 years it will just be a way of life for me.

Anyway, I'm really happy that I've stuck to it for this long =)

Congrats! Yeah it's rough. I'm waiting for approval. I've lost 11 lbs so far. I'm cautious to lose more because I've heard people get denied. I have a few comorbidities. So I'm hoping and praying for the best!

Dawnie_doo

Wait, if I lose too much weight I could get denied because of that? =0

Generally once you decide that surgery is an option, you attend a seminar that describes the program. Then you must meet the requirements so that the surgery is covered by your insurance policy. Their requirements will differ from one policy to the next. In my case I had to undergo a structured 6 month medically supervised diet and exercise weight loss program in order to qualify. When you begin the program, they measure your initial weight. Generally this is the weight that is used when your insurance determines whether you qualify for insurance coverage. Most are computed from a minimum BMI. So for most insurances, if you lose weight during this 6 month period, even if it drops you to a lower BMI, you still will qualify. It is your program start weight rather than your program end weight that matters.

I lost 37 lbs on the supervised diet. That put my BMI several notches below 40. I was approved based on my starting weight.

The things I have to do before I can get approved are
See a Psychologist
" nutritionalist
Have a doctor's note
Get an EKG

Things I've already checked off my check list is:
Attended a nutrition seminar
Endoscopy
And two xrays of things I've forgotten about.

I didn't have to do the whole 6 month diet thing with my doctor tracking it or have to lose any weight to qualify.
My dr said I should be able to get the surgery in the next couple of months if I knock that stuff out fast enough =) I'm very happy! Just hope I really do get approved!

Wait, if I lose too much weight I could get denied because of that? =0

You could, but it really depends on your insurance.

Dawnie_doo

Damn, that's crazy! We all can lose weight if we really try, it's just the sticking to it that is hard because we're addicted to food. That's why we need the surgery to train us to eat right for a couple of years and also therapy to find out why we turn to food to comfort us. To deny someone because they are losing weight before surgery is ridiculous, imo!

Damn, that's crazy! We all can lose weight if we really try, it's just the sticking to it that is hard because we're addicted to food. That's why we need the surgery to train us to eat right for a couple of years and also therapy to find out why we turn to food to comfort us. To deny someone because they are losing weight before surgery is ridiculous, imo!

I completely agree

Dawnie_doo