Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can a Icee stretch your pouch

Hi everyone, I'm 8 weeks out and I was a kids bday party and they gave out soda flavored Icee's I new I shouldn't drink it but I did

And the next day I was hungry (which ever since my surgery I didn't get to hungry)

I also noticed my food seemed to go down easier..... IDK maybe Im paranoid and my mind is playing tricks on me.

Does anyone have a similar experience?

Sent from my SM-G925T using the BariatricPal App

first....one drink won't stretch your pouch. Other people will probably tell you different, but I think that an occasional "cheat" is ok. I love icees and drink them all the time...though a small one

it's actually quite difficult to stretch your pouch. If you had the sleeve they remove the stretchy part of your stomach

First and foremost.

If you had SLEEVE surgery, you do not have a pouch. Gastric Bypass patients have pouches.

Second.

If you had SLEEVE surgery, neither liquid nor air will stretch your remaining stomach. In fact, you should have so little fundus left, there really is nothing left to stretch unless your surgeon left a lot of fundus behind when he did the surgery. Even if you are a bypass patient, I can't imagine liquid (or air) would stretch it, but I know very little about bypass.

Most likely, you kicked up your carb cravings by consuming sugar. When I indulge in carbs, I am much more hungry later in the day and the next day. When I stick to my Protein and lay off the carbs, it's easier to control my hunger.

So no, an icee won't stretch whatever you have, but it does wreak havoc on your blood levels. :)

If the icee was a soda one, the acid in it might have affected your stomach and that is why you feel hungry. Are you on a PPI?

Oh, yes. Sugar makes me hungry.

In fact, that's sugar's super power.

;)

I had bypass surgery gastric bypass and the doctor told me that you can stretch your pouch drinking soda or sipping through a straw cannot only stretch your pouch can give you an ulcer. During my seminar classes and from what the doctor said gastric bypass pouches can be stretched but I doubt you did that. But I'm thinking you probably had the sleeve because gastric bypass patience can't tolerate sugar more than 10 grams. Without getting really sick. Same goes for fatty foods fried foods cheesy Foods Exedra..that is why I chose the gastric bypass because if you cheat it punishes you. Any more they usually only give gastric bypass to diabetics. My doctor wanted to give me the sleeve. But I was paying for it so I got to pick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the BariatricPal App

Oh, yes. Sugar makes me hungry.

In fact, that's sugar's super power.

;)

I agree. Plus, they may have even made the ice with sugar Water is a super sneaky way to add extra sugar.

Sipping through a straw causes ulcers?

WTF? How?

And for the record, people choose gastric sleeve surgery for a variety of reasons. Seldom is the decision about which bariatric surgery to have based on their desire to ensure they can keep eating junk food.

@@Ele marie -- you assume a lot about WLS and WLS patients that simply isn't true.

Vsgamn2014 funny I felt the same about you. I listen to my doctor it gets air into your pouch. You didn't even have gastric bypass you have the sleeve. And I do know it is easier to cheat on the sleeve not saying you will. I'm not saying you can't use a straw ever but not at the beginning. And I just had surgery and classes so I know more than you think. Anyway. I am answering her question. Please leave me out of your Know it all. Wannabe Dr BS. I respect that you had surgery before me but we do not even have the same surgery. Thanks

BTW my sisters had surgery before you and they don't act like they know everything.

Vsgamn2014 funny I felt the same about you. I listen to my doctor it gets air into your pouch. You didn't even have gastric bypass you have the sleeve. And I do know it is easier to cheat on the sleeve not saying you will. I'm not saying you can't use a straw ever but not at the beginning. And I just had surgery and classes so I know more than you think. Anyway. I am answering her question. Please leave me out of your Know it all. Wannabe Dr BS. I respect that you had surgery before me but we do not even have the same surgery. Thanks

BTW my sisters had surgery before you and they don't act like they know everything.

Whuuuuuut?

I'd agree with @@VSGAnn2014

You've said some head scratcher things about WLS that really aren't at all factual. Just sayin'.

And name calling really isn't tolerated here. Please refrain from such behavior. Thank you.

Lipstick lady I said what?? That I have problems with drinking? I just proved she was wrong. I'd like to know what other things you are speaking of? And she cussed at me. But that is ok? I treat people with the same respect they give me.

Thanks

Lipstick lady I said what?? That I have problems with drinking? I just proved she was wrong. I'd like to know what other things you are speaking of? And she cussed at me. But that is ok? I treat people with the same respect they give me.

Thanks

It's easier for sleeves to cheat? Straws give you ulcers? Beans, tortillas and cabbage are ok two weeks out on soft foods? She didn't cuss at YOU, she simply gave a WTF at a weird statement represented as fact.

And no, your article "proved" nothing.

Uhm...you're welcome.

Lipstick lady I never ever said tortilla Soup was good for anyone 2 weeks out of surgery I said that is how I lost 40 pounds pre-op and that when I can eat. All those items in my Soup I can show you the papers and menu's my nutritionist gave me. And fact you would say that I would in courage a person to eat anything but soft pureed food is just crazy. And I stand by my sleeve comment read all the comments about some of these that can eat chocolate,donuts and cake! Sugar would make a gastric bypass person sick. We can't do sugar. And also read how many go from the sleeve to gastric bypass. That was my point. And my link proved what was needed proved that a gastric bypass person can not drink soda or sip from a straw and it tells why. And I was wrong it is not temporary it is ever. You both are giving them the wrong advice.

They can ask Thier doctor or Google it!

Please do not miss quote me. I do Intend to go back to my black bean chicken and hominy soup topped with avocado and either raw cabbage shredded or baked tortilla strips (corn not flour) as soon as I am free to eat what I want. It worked for me this is me in 2013 I have not been fat long. .post-292157-14634532181351_thumb.jpg